Updated CAPR 35-5 released today (11 Aug 14)

Started by Salty, August 11, 2014, 03:21:34 PM

Devil Doc

Where are you guys seeing this stuff in e Services?  Few of you have mentioned that the grandfather clause shows up on eServices im confused.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

catrulz

Quote from: Devil Doc on August 27, 2014, 12:20:09 PM
Where are you guys seeing this stuff in e Services?  Few of you have mentioned that the grandfather clause shows up on eServices im confused.

It's in the online promotion module.  It allows you to submit grandfathered promotions online.

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on August 27, 2014, 12:20:09 PM

The promotions module - if you don't have the rights to submit or approve someone, you won't see it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

I dont have access to that Module, IMO shouldnt everybody have some form of access so they can see what is needed to be on the right track? Promotion Module should include a Check List of the next promotion, and if it is checked, that means you have completed it, Example ( 30 Months untill next rank, it shows that you have been the rank for 24 Months)
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Devil Doc on August 27, 2014, 12:35:01 PM
I dont have access to that Module, IMO shouldnt everybody have some form of access so they can see what is needed to be on the right track? Promotion Module should include a Check List of the next promotion, and if it is checked, that means you have completed it, Example ( 30 Months untill next rank, it shows that you have been the rank for 24 Months)

Except that even having all the items "checked" will not get you promoted.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

They can make it an Automatic Promotion if all the items are checked, If not, atleast you know to submit a 2b.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

LSThiker

Quote from: Devil Doc on August 27, 2014, 03:58:52 PM
They can make it an Automatic Promotion if all the items are checked, If not, atleast you know to submit a 2b.

I want to get promoted so I am terminating my membership.  :)

I think you mean CAPF 2.

JeffDG

Problem is, there are promotion requirements in the regulation that are not checkboxes.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CyBorg on August 27, 2014, 03:10:39 PM

And it shouldn't.

CAPAPRN

Brandon-your DCS or PD officer should log onto that screen with you- "PD Award Entry" is the actual name- and it shows all the requirements, and they updated it so that it shows the "grandfather"  requirements for all grandfather clause eligible members. Currently the way the program is built when I log in I can enter things like conferences, speaking to groups, command/ staff assignments so they currently can't open that program up. The levels just went online so I think it is good feed back for big brother out there to open up a module that shows what we see in that screen without command permissions.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: CAPAPRN on August 28, 2014, 06:43:45 PM
Brandon-your DCS or PD officer should log onto that screen with you- "PD Award Entry" is the actual name- and it shows all the requirements, and they updated it so that it shows the "grandfather"  requirements for all grandfather clause eligible members. Currently the way the program is built when I log in I can enter things like conferences, speaking to groups, command/ staff assignments so they currently can't open that program up. The levels just went online so I think it is good feed back for big brother out there to open up a module that shows what we see in that screen without command permissions.
PD Award Entry is very different from the promotions module.  Also, the PD Award Entry and its associated approvals module were released Aug 20 of last year.  One recent change, likely spurred by a question at one of the IT learning labs during the national conference, is that the PD Award Entry module can now be assigned by a WSA to any member in the WSAs scope.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 27, 2014, 05:08:53 PM

And it shouldn't.

And the issues outside of "having your boxes checked" can be so wildly divergent between wings/groups/squadrons as to defy logic.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Quote from: CyBorg on August 29, 2014, 09:39:18 PM

And it shouldn't.

And the issues outside of "having your boxes checked" can be so wildly divergent between wings/groups/squadrons as to defy logic.
Or not....YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: LSThiker on August 27, 2014, 04:04:32 PM

I want to get promoted so I am terminating my membership.  :)

I think you mean CAPF 2.

I do not think he wants a "2b" but you never know.  8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on August 29, 2014, 09:42:12 PM

And it shouldn't.

Or not....YMMV.

In this case, your LIGHT-YEARS may vary.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JeffDG

And it shouldn't.

Sometimes, regulations are vague on purpose, and the purpose is to give local commanders some discretion to command.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on August 30, 2014, 04:13:42 PM
Sometimes, regulations are vague on purpose, and the purpose is to give local commanders some discretion to command.

Sadly, that idea breaks down quickly with inconsistently trained commanders, 1100+ different agendas, and no imperative from higher HQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

You've mentioned the need for "imperative from higher HQ" in multiple posts. What exactly do you mean by that?

Are you referring to mandates? Vision? Direction? Enforcement of current regulations and policies? "Imperative" is a broad term with different possible connotations.

I've seen "imperatives" of varying degrees throughout the organization. But I suspect that many of them don't align with your view of what they should be.

We have regulations and policies at different levels throughout CAP (some members actually believe we have too many for being a civilian, non-profit, volunteer organization). What more "imperatives" do we need? What's the "magic formula" to fix CAP that no one's been able to crack? What are the National Commander, all 8 Region Commanders, all 52 Wing Commanders and 1100+ Unit Commanders not doing?

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 30, 2014, 06:52:12 PMAre you referring to mandates? Vision? Direction? Enforcement of current regulations and policies? "Imperative" is a broad term with different possible connotations.

All of those, most of which is sorely lacking.

You start by enforcing all the rules, the same way, for everyone, and when people don't comply, the
"sad" is focused there, not on changing the system because of a few bad actors.

The tone and timbre is set at the national level, either CAP is a no-nonsense organization with a mission and purpose,
or a GOB flying club with some cadets here and there.  That's the pendulum.  Things are enforced at the lowest level possible,
but that doesn't relieve the next HQ from involvement when the lower rungs fail or abdicate.

Work your way out from there.

Most people can work with a micro manager, and they can work with a hands-off manager, but what CAP
generally presents is "micro hands off" meaning "leaders" who don't want to get their hands dirty, but
have no compunction to wander into a room on a whim and "leading" into a brick wall, many times
making "decisions" for other people that have no basis in reality, nor which align with months or years
or work in a different direction. 

Having provided "leadership" these people then wander off again for 6 months to a year until more "leadership"
is needed.  This cycle comes from having a lot of "leaders" who have never managed anything more complicated
then a Netflix que in their private lives.

Command imperative is trading friends for the good of the company, something many (most?) CAP "leaders" are
won't to do, if for no other reason then the manpower is so low as to leave anyone you made sad's job open,
sometimes permanently.

"That Others May Zoom"

rustyjeeper

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2014, 07:59:15 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 30, 2014, 06:52:12 PMAre you referring to mandates? Vision? Direction? Enforcement of current regulations and policies? "Imperative" is a broad term with different possible connotations.

All of those, most of which is sorely lacking.

You start by enforcing all the rules, the same way, for everyone, and when people don't comply, the
"sad" is focused there, not on changing the system because of a few bad actors.

The tone and timbre is set at the national level, either CAP is a non-nonsense organization with a mission and purpose,
or a GOB flying club with some cadets here and there.  That's the pendulum.  Things are enforced at the lowest level possible,
but that doesn't relive the next HQ from involvement when the lower rungs fail or abdicate.

Work your way out from there.

Most people can work with a micro manager, and they can work with a hands-off manager, but what CAP
generally presents is "micro hands off" meaning "leaders" who don't want to get their hands dirty, but
have no compunction to wander into a room on a whim and "leading" into a brick wall, many times
making "decisions" for other people that have no basis in reality, nor which align with months or years
or work in a different direction. 

Having provided "leadership" these people then wander off again for 6 months to a year until more "leadership"
is needed.  This cycle comes from having a lot of "leaders" who have never managed anything more complicated
then a Netflix que in the private lives.

Command imperative is trading friends for the good of the company, something many (most?) CAP "leaders" are
won't ton do, if for no other reason then the manpower is so low as to leave anyone you made sad's job open,
sometimes permanently.