Main Menu

Hunter Orange MOLLE Vest

Started by Samex, January 17, 2014, 06:20:34 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Samex on August 27, 2014, 12:56:14 PM
I see from some of the posts that some believe the shipping cost is high.  The cost to ship to the US is a flat $25.00 CAD which is very reasonable.

Does this flat rate applies to accessories we may want to buy at a later time? Because that would certainly add to the expense.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 27, 2014, 05:06:36 PM
I see from some of the posts that some believe the shipping cost is high.  The cost to ship to the US is a flat $25.00 CAD which is very reasonable.

Does this flat rate applies to accessories we may want to buy at a later time? Because that would certainly add to the expense.

Guys, do you know what shipping costs these days? Granted I may know more than most, being that I ship over 1000 packages monthly, but really, take a look at this pic:

That small box on top? I'll just give you >MY< commercial base and commercial plus rates:  US: $5.20, Canada: $19.50, Worldwide: $23.50
The small envelope? Same prices internationally, $4.95 domestic.
The next two, the "medium" flat rate boxes, one more square, the other rectangular: US: $10.65, Canada: $40.15, Worldwide: $58.65!
The large box on bottom? We don't even use them, $52.95
Feel free to do your own research: http://postcalc.usps.com/

Shipping 4 lbs TO Canada? $36.30 at the USPS counter.

CAD to USD exchange rate? 0.92USD to 1 CAD, so you're paying $23 USD to get a package, most likely over 4 lbs, and one that will CERTAINLY not fit into the medium flat rate box, LET ALONE the small flat rate box.

Oh, and being the US of A, I've yet to pay ANY sort of VAT, Import Tax, Import Fee, etc.
So to sum it up, yea $25 is a hefty price. But would you rather the vest cost $25 more? Would you rather the pouches each cost that much more?

eBay loves to push "free shipping" listings. Except of course no one ships for free.

Would you rather buy my trinkets for $35 + $5 shipping, or for $40 with free shipping? What if you ordered 2 of them? 5? 10? 20? Because I can ship you 2 in one box, and 10/20 in a larger box for $10.
Thanks for offering a shipping rate, and especially a FLAT one.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 27, 2014, 06:53:13 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 27, 2014, 05:06:36 PM

Guys, do you know what shipping costs these days?....

Thanks for offering a shipping rate, and especially a FLAT one.

I never said it was an unfair or unreasonable rate; only that it adds to the expense. Remember, not every CAP member has the kind of disposable income that someone who ships "over 1000 packages monthly" probably has. ;)

Майор Хаткевич

Of course it adds expense. Shipping isn't free. I'm just comparing what the costs are for someone in Canada to order something from the US. It's all relative, but if you need/want something, you gotta pay the price. Can we get someone to become a distributor in the US? Perhaps. Could probably get these wholesale, over the border, and shipped domestically for around the same price. But that's the big "BUT". Who's gonna do it?

SarDragon

They still need to be transported across the border. There is also a more complicated Customs process, and possible import duties. Who is going to pay for all that?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on August 28, 2014, 04:38:17 AM
They still need to be transported across the border. There is also a more complicated Customs process, and possible import duties. Who is going to pay for all that?

The aforementioned distributor state-side.

Panzerbjorn

Are we really arguing back and forth over shipping costs?

1. When my package came from them, the amount of postage was right there on it and it what was what I was charged.  You're not being gouged.

2. This company is already giving you a discount for being CAP, and you're asking them to give you a further discount in shipping where they have very little control over the costs as it is?

3. You're already trying to buy a niche product that is marketed to a niche audience.  It's not like they're selling 10,000 of these a month.  Of course the cost is going to be higher.

4. You're saying that not everyone has deep pockets to pay for the expensive shipping.  Perhaps if you don't have the money to pay for the shipping, you should really reconsider buying this product in the first place.

5. It's not coming from a US distributor.  It's being shipped from the company in Canada.

The shipping costs are what they are.  Cope!  ::)
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Майор Хаткевич

Alaric

Panzerbjorn

I had the opportunity to show off my fully loaded rig to a group of SARTECH 1s, 2s, and Instructors this past weekend.  They were all for the most part impressed with the vest itself. 

The only comments that were made was they thought it looked a bit heavy, which it is because of the layers of pockets and things built into the vest itself.  But they all agreed that it seemed very sturdy, and they liked all the integral pockets sewn into the vest.

The cost also inspired disappointed looks after I told them that I had sunk around $200 into the full rig.  But the looks of interest came back after I told them that the bulk of that money had gone into getting orange pouches, and that the cost of the vest itself is on par with a low-cost MOLLE tactical vest that you would get from a company like Condor.  Then you just put on pouches you already have, or some of the lower cost pouches you can get at a surplus store.  They did like just how much MOLLE webbing was on the vest.

Overall, there was general approval from SARTECH types who have tremendously more time in the bush than I do.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Storm Chaser

I can't believe all of you are making such a big deal about my question. Why do we need to turn everything into an argument?

Let's back up a second and review what I said.

QuoteI'm interested in buying one if these as well, but the shipping cost (from Canada) is a bit too much.

I wasn't complaining about their prices, but merely pointing that at this time I can't make the expense. This was a personal opinion based on personal situation. Nothing more and nothing less.

I then asked the following question:

QuoteDoes this [$25] flat rate applies to accessories we may want to buy at a later time? Because that would certainly add to the expense.

This was a valid question. If I purchase this vest, I need to make sure I get all the accessories I need if I don't want to pay another $25 later on. What's so wrong about that?

Yet, my simple and valid question ended up in a "lecture" about shipping costs. And now I'm being chastised for even bringing cost up.

Oh well, I guess this is business as usual in CAP Talk.

Panzerbjorn

You weren't being singled out.  My chastisement was equal opportunity.

To a answer your question regarding flat shipping cost, it would appear the cost is the same whether you buy your vest and pouches all at once, or one pouch at a time.

My experience is that $200 gets you your vest, two medium utility pouches, one first aid pouch, one travel organizer, and one GPS pouch.  Shipping is included in that $200.  Between those pouches, and the integral pockets in the vest, I was able to fit everything on a CAP 24-hour gear list.  If you're packing to SARTECH standards, you're going to be carrying a day pack on top of what you're wearing with the vest.  If you don't need ground team leader equipment, you can probably drop the GPS pouch and travel organizer, saving you $35.  I would recommend dropping the GPS pouch anyway unless you have a large size GPS.  After getting the travel organizer, it's a great pouch, but I also own a Condor map pouch.  Between the two, I prefer the Condor map pouch.  It comes with a waterproof map envelope, additional pen pockets, and a flap that covers the pens.  But it's pure personal preference.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Storm Chaser

williamburdge

Hello everyone,

The 10% discount is still in effect for CAP members.  I am reposting the code number for everyone to use.  8H3C508Q7JBG

This code number has not worked for me and I have just checked it now, it is still rejected.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: williamburdge on August 28, 2014, 06:13:41 PM
Hello everyone,

The 10% discount is still in effect for CAP members.  I am reposting the code number for everyone to use.  8H3C508Q7JBG

This code number has not worked for me and I have just checked it now, it is still rejected.

Worked for me yesterday.

Майор Хаткевич

Code not working today and shipping went up to $30 for US orders.

GroundHawg

I shipped 12 orange molle packs, with 30+ orange pouches, and 6 orange camelbaks to AZ on Friday, box was HEAVY. Total shipping from Illinois was $29 and that included a $7 drop shipping charge. Canada must be killer on export fees!

Eclipse

I thought it was more an issue of the exchange rate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Well, yea $30 CAD. But no export fees perse...just two postal payments and customs.

Samex

Hello Everyone,

I want to thank everyone who has ordered so far and to clarify one thing.  The discount code and the $25 flat shipping rate for CAP members is still valid.  In order to get this you MUST order through www.dutyapparel.com.  Everyone so far has been using that website with the exception of usafaux2004 yesterday.  You ended up going through our other website which does not have the discount set up and the shipping is standard cost.  I will send you a separate email today to get things looked after for you.

So please order through www.dutyapparel.com and use discount code 8H3C508Q7JBG at check out.

All vests and pouches have been selling extremely well and we are currently out of stock on pouch MHVO 301.  We will have our new shipment in our warehouse in approximately 10 days.

Roger Rondeau

On Duty Equipment Ltd - Duty Apparel