CAP member Boe named to final shuttle Crew

Started by Smithsonia, September 18, 2009, 10:03:27 PM

Smithsonia

http://www.9news.com/news/world/article.aspx?storyid=123512&catid=347

Eric Boe, former CAP Cadet and current CAP senior member -- has been announced as a member the final shuttle crew.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

DC

Good for him, he'll get to be one of the last people to ever sit inside an operational shuttle.

Lucky him for getting another flight too, whatever NASA decides to do next (there's a lot of waffling about whether or not Orion/Ares will continue) likely won't get off the ground till late in the next decade....

PHall

You know, because of the waffling about Orion/Aries, I would not surprised at all if the shuttle program get's an "extension" until they can get their act together.

Shutting down the Shuttle program was also predicated on the Space Station being decommissioned in 2015.
I wouldn't bet on that happening "on time" either.

DC

Quote from: PHall on September 19, 2009, 12:38:54 AM
You know, because of the waffling about Orion/Aries, I would not surprised at all if the shuttle program get's an "extension" until they can get their act together.

Shutting down the Shuttle program was also predicated on the Space Station being decommissioned in 2015.
I wouldn't bet on that happening "on time" either.
Last I heard they were looking at a controlled de-orbit sometime in 2016, but that changes with the wind....

I really hope they shut the shuttle down as planned, it's a 30 year old design at this point, we need to move on. Trying to keep the shuttle fleet flying for another five years isn't going to accomplish anything more than siphon money away from fielding a new launch vehicle. I hope they stick with the Constellation Program, I really like the idea of returning to the moon, and moving beyond, finally. The US has been the leader in space exploration since the late '60s, we need to get our [fourth point of contact] in gear if we want that to continue.

esilassy

flyguy06

When is the last Shuttle mission scheduled for?

addo1

Quote from: Smithsonia on September 18, 2009, 10:03:27 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/world/article.aspx?storyid=123512&catid=347

Eric Boe, former CAP Cadet and current CAP senior member -- has been announced as a member the final shuttle crew.

Outstanding. I got to spend some quality time with this gentleman at the National Board and Conference earlier this month. He is a great guy and I think he deserves it. We were lucky enough to hear a few talks from him during the meeting and they were extremely inspiring to every listener.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

NIN

Quote from: DC on September 19, 2009, 08:17:42 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on September 19, 2009, 08:01:55 PM
When is the last Shuttle mission scheduled for?
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

That schedule is so far out of whack I'm amazed NASA leaves it there.

Current intel says that 134 and 133 will switch spots and 134 will leave the Rafaello MPLM (Multi-Purpose Logistics Module) on the ISS as PLM (Permanent Logistics Module.. think of building a shed on the ISS...)  As per usual, the baseline could change tomorrow.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Gunner C

He's pretty lucky.  For an astronaut to get two flights within a couple of years is essentially back-to-back.  I feel for the younger astronauts who didn't get to fly, though.  Some will get to fly to the ISS on the Russian ships, but spaceflight is going to slow to a trickle.