Model rocketry Redstone phase, alternate supplies

Started by UH60guy, January 17, 2013, 03:47:03 PM

UH60guy

I have a question if anyone else out there has recent experience with the model rocketry program.

I'm a new AE officer and have never seen the model rocketry program run before, but I'm figuring it out as we go along with the resources online.

We're working through the Redstone phase right now, and have done the written test and sent the cadets home with the supplies to make Goddard rockets and bring back in two weeks.

In preparation for their liquid fueled rockets, I've hit a snag procuring supplies. We're planning on having the cadets build the fizzy flyers- however the instructions call for a 35mm film canister. I'm not sure when the last time the handbook was updated, but they're not exactly as common as they used to be now that everyone has a digital camera on their phone.

Has anyone had any success with alternate supplies? Any recommendations of a good replacement?
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

johnnyb47

Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

NC Hokie

Quote from: Thrashed on January 17, 2013, 04:22:33 PM
I heard Walmart will give them away. Just ask.

Any place that develops film, really - the trick is getting them before they're thrown away.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

a2capt

I have gone in and asked at a couple Wal*Mart's in the past, and even Costco, though film process isn't as popular as it used to be... most Costco locations don't put that thing that says "LEAVE FILM HERE" outside the door anymore.

foffui1

I went to Wal-greens. I was told any place that develops photos should have them. Also as a side note. I was told that Lowe's will sometimes donate materials to our organization.

wiking18

As much trouble as the cannisters are,you can build water launched rockets from soda bottles and make a launcher for around $20.00.they fulfill the alternative propulsion rocket requirement as well as the fizzy flier does.There are plenty of examples on youtube.I think that is the direction I will go next time I run the rocket program.Hope this helps a bit.

helper

Be sure to request "Fuji" brand film canisters not "Kodak". There is a difference in how the caps attach. I've also noticed that some identical appearing canisters will have different results.
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

arajca

Quote from: wiking18 on January 26, 2013, 05:16:50 AM
As much trouble as the cannisters are,you can build water launched rockets from soda bottles and make a launcher for around $20.00.they fulfill the alternative propulsion rocket requirement as well as the fizzy flier does.There are plenty of examples on youtube.I think that is the direction I will go next time I run the rocket program.Hope this helps a bit.
On the plus side, the water bottle rockets are more fun and the 'rocket fuselages' are more readily available. On the down side, they can't be used indoors - an important consideration in some areas this time of the year.

UH60guy

I want to say thanks to y'all for the tips. I ended up going with johnnyb47's suggestion from B&H Photo and getting them online. I don't know why I didn't just get off my butt and google it first, but that ended up being the easiest solution. They were cheap enough, even with shipping included, that online was really the way to go. Probably spent less there than I would have just in gas alone driving to Wal Marts or other stores around the area.

All in all, we had a resounding success. The only minor gripe would be with the cannister lid fit. While it worked well, the rockets only made it about four feet off the ground. I'm willing to bet that if they were tighter, they could build up more internal pressure before releasing, and make it a little higher. Regardless, they worked and we can move on to the Titan phase.

Side note for anyone else out there doing this, I had the cadets experiment with different ratios of water and alka-seltzer. We got the most fizz and height out of our rockets by crushing the alka-seltzer into a near powder.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO