Main Menu

Cessna invades USSR

Started by Varga Guy, August 17, 2012, 06:22:02 PM

rugger1869

I'm surprised he never flew again. I remember this quite well. Thanks for sharing.

a2capt

At least for the next few years.. no one probably would give in a license, and no one would want to rent a plane to him ;-)

At least .. over there. Come to the US, and .. what's the worse you'd do in the 90's? the White House lawn? Oh, someone did that too, in 1994. Nearly took out a magnolia tree planted by Andrew Jackson. 

... Land in Canada? eh? Nah. Mexico? They'd probably shoot at it first. No fun in that.

"Have you ever been inside a Turkish prison?" .. "No, but I've been in a Russian one.." 

I'd have been more surprised if he did pilot an aircraft again. I'm kinda surprised the 172 ended up back in Germany, actually. Though conflicting stories say it was setup for long range already, what I'm curious of is was this one for rent that way, or was it "rented", modified, and .. he knew pretty much like hell if he made it, it probably wouldn't be him just flying back.  Sounds like a lot for a 50 hour pilot to figure out aside from the flight planning, and such which wouldn't be so much for some people.. obviously.. it worked. A small aircraft like that in Russia at the time surely had to be a sight for the locals though.

MSG Mac

Quote from: rugger1869 on August 17, 2012, 07:24:03 PM
I'm surprised he never flew again. I remember this quite well. Thanks for sharing.

EU probably yanked his license for life.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Critical AOA

If you read up on him, Rust has led a troubled life ever since and appears to have psychological troubles.  More of a nut case than the hero some make him out to be. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Cliff_Chambliss

Following this there was a sew on patch around for a while that had the image of a 172 over an outline of the USSR and around the border "C-172   Skyhawk - Original Stealth"   
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

RogueLeader

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 17, 2012, 09:06:27 PM
If you read up on him, Rust has led a troubled life ever since and appears to have psychological troubles.  More of a nut case than the hero some make him out to be.

A lot of people who are "heros" are a bit nuts.  That's how they got to be a hero
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

hufftherussian

he was detected before he entered soviet airspace, but the Soviet PVO (the PVO was the Ant-Air division of the Soviet Military. Had Su-15, MiG-25, MiG-31, MiG-21, Su-27P, MiG-17, as well as Anti-Air missile batteries) commanders were confused on whether or not to shoot him down. Landed in Red Square, got arrested, then freed. I saw his plane in real life! It's at the Deutshes Technikmuseum is Berlin, Germany. Tells the entire story!

wuzafuzz

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

I believe it's "Think Different;Like all your friends..."

"That Others May Zoom"