Largest/Smallest/Median squadron 2017?

Started by jfkspotting, May 21, 2017, 01:07:19 AM

jfkspotting

Anyone know what the largest squadron is in CAP, how many members are in it, and ow many aircraft they own?

Is there a way we can find out the largest squadron per wing?

What is the smallest squadron?

What is considered the median-sized squadron?

Mine has roughly 60+30 seniors. 2-3 Aircraft depending on month

etodd

Keep in mind that whoever claims to have the largest number of dues paying members on the roll ... may not necessarily be the Squandron with the highest average turnout on meeting nights. LOL

Would be interesting to see all the membership stats alongside attendance records.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Майор Хаткевич

Spaceman3750

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 21, 2017, 03:31:19 AM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on May 21, 2017, 03:28:29 AM
Quote from: jfkspotting on May 21, 2017, 01:07:19 AM
2-3 Aircraft depending on month

That doesn't seem right.

It's unusual for most wings but it does happen.

We recently had 3 at our unit...but I'm me was a temp, one for sale, one regular. You'd think a big wing like NY would need a bigger spread.

jfkspotting

We usually have one stationed 182 and one stationed 206, and the visiting 172. We are the largest on LI and second largest after SYR in the state.

Ozzy

Quote from: jfkspotting on May 21, 2017, 07:46:34 PM
We usually have one stationed 182 and one stationed 206, and the visiting 172. We are the largest on LI and second largest after SYR in the state.

JFK... those aren't NY-328's aircraft, those are Long Island Group's aircraft.

And with the now-chartered squadron in Brentwood, I expect it to be one of the largest in the country eventually. The AFJROTC can't handle the amount of students looking to join up so CAP was requested to set up a squadron... by a few estimates it might easily get top 100 cadets soon after finalizing procedures to deal with the influx of new cadets.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

jfkspotting

I'm aware, however, they are chartered to our squadron. How does the creation of Brentwood affect us? There is no dying need to go running off to Brentwood, a very rough area--and they won't have their own aircraft since they don't have an airfield. It may shrink Squadron 9 further.

Ozzy

Explain what you mean by chartered. If you mean they are located there, that is correct that they are, but they were there long before Squadron 10 moved to LIG headquarters.

I also never said that the creation of the Brentwood squadron would affect your squadron other then saying it is likely to become the largest on Long Island. Your original question asked what is the largest squadron and how many members were in it. However, the creation of another squadron nearby and an increase of 40-50% of a group's cadets in a short time would definitely indirectly affect other squadrons nearby. I know several senior members and cadets from other squadrons are transferring over to help get the new squadron going; I would too but I am moving to Georgia in about two months.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

dwb

Leesburg, VA -- 115 cadets, 47 seniors. That's on the books; we don't get that many every week. Loudoun County is growing rapidly, which is a significant factor in our growth.

We have 1-2 aircraft at a time at KJYO depending on aircraft rotation in the Wing.

The average CAP squadron is probably closer to 15-20 cadets, ~10 seniors. NIN has some statistics on this in his role as RRO, but a disturbing percentage of CAP units are effectively under-strength and probably not executing all three missions.

Blanding

Anyone know what the largest squadron is in CAP, how many members are in it, and ow many aircraft they own?

Point me in the direction of a CAP squadron that owns their own aircraft... I have some fundraising questions for them!

Shieldel

JFK, no one squadron nationally OWNS aircraft. They are WING ASSETS. As in yes they may be "in your squadron"....for maintenance and accountability purposes. If your squadron is doing O-Rides but there's a Wing Wide AFAM going on...chances are the IC will ask for the aircraft. The SAR takes precedence over your o-ride. CAP "triages" aircraft by priority of the situation. This is done by seniors in WMIRS when the aircraft is double booked, say it was booked for the rides but now we have a SAR so somebody on mission books it, oops double book! Now which one takes priority? SAR - any day.
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

stillamarine

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on May 21, 2017, 03:28:29 AM
2-3 Aircraft depending on month

That doesn't seem right.

When I was there Emerald Coast Senior Squadron in Pensacola had two aircraft assigned at all times and during the summer months sometimes had 3. But they flew daily, 365 days a year sorties over Eglin range on firewatch. During the summer they regularly flew two sorties a day.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

jfkspotting

Quote from: dwb on May 22, 2017, 10:49:17 PM
Leesburg, VA -- 115 cadets, 47 seniors. That's on the books; we don't get that many every week. Loudoun County is growing rapidly, which is a significant factor in our growth.

We have 1-2 aircraft at a time at KJYO depending on aircraft rotation in the Wing.

The average CAP squadron is probably closer to 15-20 cadets, ~10 seniors. NIN has some statistics on this in his role as RRO, but a disturbing percentage of CAP units are effectively under-strength and probably not executing all three missions.

[stupid]! that's huge! Are you the largest of VA?

dwb

Yes, although the unit in Manassas is very strong at 97 cadets, 73 seniors. Fredericksburg is also impressive at 95 cadets, 44 seniors.

Population density helps tremendously. We're all good squadrons that are firing on all cylinders, but we couldn't be this big if we were out in rural southwest Virginia.

dogden

My Group is 15 units with almost 900 members (600-ish cadets and 300-ish Seniors). We have 8 aircraft assigned. We have one Hq unit, 8 Composite Squadrons, 3 Senior Squadrons, 3 Cadet Squadrons (2 school programs). We are in the process of chartering 1 composite squadron and 1 cadet squadron. We are also rechartering one cadet squadron to a composite squadron. Our largest unit is 180 and smallest is 18 averaging to 60 per unit.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

Eclipse

Quote from: dogden on June 09, 2017, 05:07:14 PMOur largest unit is 180 and smallest is 18 averaging to 60 per unit.

What's the empty shirt ratio on a unit with 180 members?  Depending on location, one could argue that exceeds the reasonable ability
of most units to be able to manage effectively and should be busted up into more then one, if for no other reason then
to be able to afford leadership opportunities for more members.

That's the problem with these questions - most of the "largest" squadrons are school programs with mandatory and dubious participation
and very few seniors because the "staff" is teachers. For example, the unit in INWG at one point had something like 300 cadets
and only 5 seniors.  I don't know what that really "is", but it's not CAP.

My wing had a unit that for years was "driving to 100" by scooping up all the empty shirts they could find - they had maybe 30-40 active
members, but wore that "100" goal as if it meant something other then a lot of busy work for the admin and nightmare SUIs.

I don't think there's a unit in my wing that has the facility that could accommodate 180 people at one time, or even 1/2 that.

60 is probably about all the average staff can handle, with 100 being a handy number for a goal, but getting into areas of resources,
cycle times, and other issues that make it difficult to manage in today's CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Our unit hovers around 60 members, with perhaps half or a third there on a regular basis. Seems about right for most units.

dogden

QuoteWhat's the empty shirt ratio on a unit with 180 members?

It is a school unit so the empty shirt ratio is pretty small, the cadets are required to participate to pass the CAP class.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

CAPLTC

Quote from: dwb on May 30, 2017, 11:34:24 PM
Yes, although the unit in Manassas is very strong at 97 cadets, 73 seniors.
Fredericksburg is also impressive at 95 cadets, 44 seniors.
Population density helps tremendously.
We're all good squadrons that are firing on all cylinders, but we couldn't be this big if we were out in rural southwest Virginia.

True.
The greater-DC area is military town.
The Pentagon, Belvoir, McNair, Meyer, Bolling, Quantico, Navy Yard, WRMMC, Annapolis, USCG HQ, Meade, Andrews, Detrick, AP Hill, Dahlgren, etc etc etc.
Everyone is a vet or works for the Gov it seems.
Fertile ground for recruiting.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis