Main Menu

Some Friendly Reminders

Started by Cmdbuddy, August 09, 2005, 01:17:57 AM

Cmdbuddy

First off, I've been noticing several members talk about different members in CAP by name.  Unless it's something about CAP News (Cadet Johnny gets his Mitchell or General Pineda is now National Commander), this is uncalled for.  These people are not on the boards to defend themselves, and should not be talked about in a negative tone. 

Secondly, there has been some chit chat between a couple of people on the boards recently.  Normally, I would bring this to PM, but I think it's a good reminder for everybody.  If you see that a thread is only being responded to by you and one other person, maybe you should take it to PM or IM.  The purpose of a message board is to facilitate discussion amongst various members, not just two people.

Finally, if you have some problem with the actions of a moderator, speak with that moderator.  For instance, if a thread is locked by someone, ask them why, not the other mods.  I honestly can't tap into the minds of other mods and figure out why they did something.  I wish, though... cause that would be cool.

Questions?  Comments?
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

SAR junkie

no questions or comments Col.

i think that covers it.

thank you Ma'am.
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC
Centenary Composite Squadron ~KY058~

search and rescue all the way!

arajca

A couple more reminders...
1. There is a button labeled "Spell Check" to the right of the "Post" button. This button is your friend. It can easily take care of simple spelling errors that usually creep in when we're not looking.
2. There are punctuation rules for English/American. Please follow them. They make reading posts easier and increase the likelihood of getting a good response.
3. If you look at your keyboard, there is a key on the left side, usually one up from the bottom labeled "Shift" or with a bold arrow pointed up. Please use this key when appropriate according to the grammar rules regarding capitalization of words. IE. use "I" instead of "i" when referring to one's self.
4. If you are asking a question about something, say what you are asking about. You'll get appropriate replies.

Thank you.

SarDragon

Regarding the aforementioned spell check feature, it will not prevent you from using a correctly spelled word incorrectly! I thought I had made a Grammar Police post earlier, but can't seem to find it., so here goes with some common problem areas -

there, their, they're
your, you're
its, it's
were, where, we're
whose, who's
would of - should be would have

If you have any problems with the differences, PM me and I'll give you the detailed version. If I get enough feedback, I'll even post the detailed version here.

Remember, the quality of your posts is often a reflection on the quality of you! Attention to detail and good writing skills can both be very important in your life. This is a great place to practice and improve your skills in a less critical (as in importance) environment.

[Edit] Oh, yeah, bone up on the use of the apostrophe - that's probably the biggest problem area, other than general spelling errors, in our language today.  :o Most of that problems above involve apostrophes!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

I ken reed reel good, and spel OK. My righting is OK for most peopl to reed
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pylon

I'm agreed with the above sentiments.  This is a professional Civil Air Patrol discussion community.

We've never allowed much non-CAP-related chat as we feel our boards should be focused mostly on its main purpose.

In addition, most everybody here posts with proper English.  That means, posts that have proper spelling, punctuation, grammar, and coherence are the ones we'll pay attention to.   We like that here.   "posts that talk bout stuff we cant reed very well go ignored cause they make th poster look ignorant ok"
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: SarDragon on August 09, 2005, 05:57:28 AM
Regarding the aforementioned spell check feature, it will not prevent you from using a correctly spelled word incorrectly! I thought I had made a Grammar Police post earlier, but can't seem to find it., so here goes with some common problem areas -

there, their, they're
your, you're
its, it's
were, where, we're
whose, who's
would of - should be would have

If you have any problems with the differences, PM me and I'll give you the detailed version. If I get enough feedback, I'll even post the detailed version here.

Remember, the quality of your posts is often a reflection on the quality of you! Attention to detail and good writing skills can both be very important in your life. This is a great place to practice and improve your skills in a less critical (as in importance) environment.

[Edit] Oh, yeah, bone up on the use of the apostrophe - that's probably the biggest problem area, other than general spelling errors, in our language today.  :o Most of that problems above involve apostrophes!

Kind of a bump, but don't forget
a                                   (at least one space)                               lot

Skyray

This Board recently made the National News for a deleted thread.  It was a subject near and dear to my heart, if the news reports were accurate.  I suspect it was deleted for not meeting Christie's express critieria in the first post.  Anybod feel up to giving me a PM and letting me in on what is going on?

Doug Johnson
Former Member
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Lancer

Quote from: arajca on August 09, 2005, 04:32:30 AM
1. There is a button labeled "Spell Check" to the right of the "Post" button. This button is your friend. It can easily take care of simple spelling errors that usually creep in when we're not looking.

Amen! Except that button is not there anymore... Pylon, any ideas yet?

Chris Jacobs

What national News are you refering too.  I havn't heard any thing.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Skyray

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on December 23, 2006, 07:58:00 PM

And that may be as it should be.  Not trying to be esoteric, but the news was about something that could develop into a major scandal detrimental to the reputation of the Civil Air Patrol.  Since I have a very high regard for the institution of Civil Air Patrol, I did not want to be in the position of spreading rumors, even rumors that have been published in the Miami Herald.  That is why I asked for a PM response.  If you are really interested, google the Miami Herald for several articles written by Erica Bolstead.

Doug Johnson
Former Member
Doug Johnson - Miami

Pylon

Quote from: Skyray on December 23, 2006, 08:14:05 PM
Quote from: Chris Jacobs on December 23, 2006, 07:58:00 PM

And that may be as it should be.  Not trying to be esoteric, but the news was about something that could develop into a major scandal detrimental to the reputation of the Civil Air Patrol.  Since I have a very high regard for the institution of Civil Air Patrol, I did not want to be in the position of spreading rumors, even rumors that have been published in the Miami Herald.  That is why I asked for a PM response.  If you are really interested, google the Miami Herald for several articles written by Erica Bolstead.

Doug Johnson
Former Member

There's nothing being squelched here.  The thread you're referring to, including the Miami Herald articles and the CAP NHQ PAO response is here. Everything C/Col Ducote said in her original post is just a reaffirmation of this board administrations official position, which, as you can see by the dates on her post and our code of conduct have been in place long before this latest "news flash." 

We intend to maintain the same level of integrity and professionalism as we always have.  Issues with that can be directed straight to me.  Thanks.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Skyray

QuoteThere's nothing being squelched here.  The thread you're referring to, including the Miami Herald articles and the CAP NHQ PAO response is here.

I was unable to find it, probably because I had no clue what the topic was or how the poster considered that it should be categorized.  The news article I was reacting to was in the News of the Force, not always a totally unbiased source, although I do think they try to be, and the article said that three pages of comments had disappeared.  I was really kind of interested in what others thought, since I myself am not a totally unbiased source.
Doug Johnson - Miami

SarDragon

The thread you're referring to, including the Miami Herald articles and the CAP NHQ PAO response is here.

Links are not easily discernable, and need artificial enhancement.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Skyray

Quote from: SarDragon on December 24, 2006, 04:10:25 AM
The thread you're referring to, including the Miami Herald articles and the CAP NHQ PAO response is here.

Links are not easily discernable, and need artificial enhancement.

Thanks for the link.  It is still a rapidly growing thread, and was up to five pages by the time I followed your link.  The tenor seemed to be a civilized discussion between those who think "My country, right or wrong," and those who say what the h--- are you thinking, we are setting examples for cadets here.  I tend to fall in the latter category, but it is a complimentary comment on the Cadet Program Training that the conversation has stayed mostly civil.
Doug Johnson - Miami