Main Menu

SOS, ACSC, AWC

Started by James Shaw, December 22, 2009, 01:06:12 PM

Does it do us any good outside of CAP or those currently in service? Which ones have you taken?

Beneficial for CAP only.
1 (2.2%)
Beneficial for RM only.
6 (13%)
No outside benefit.
5 (10.9%)
Outside benefit.
21 (45.7%)
Haven't taken any!
13 (28.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

James Shaw

I am currently in the beginnig phase of doing ACSC. I enrolled a month or so ago. While I have been reading I was beginning to wonder if it had any practical purposes for me or my professional life. I am looking to get back into law enforcement at the State level (Pardons and Parole Officer. The real benefit for it in CAP is to allow you to take these in lieu of attending RSC or NSC. We don't get any real benefit other than that. It is not part of our normal PD but is an option. I may return to school for a graduate degree in Public Administration at a later time but other than some college transfer hours is it really worth the time and effort?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

O-Rex

Does the Mil PME benefit Members in CAP and other venues?  Absolutely!

Does it give you an 'edge' for getting upper command positions in CAP? No.

Some CAP folks get a bit uncomfortable if you seem too "high speed/low drag" for their tastes....

Not to mention that politics still trumps competence.

Nonetheless, if you have the opportunity to take the courses, do it: post-grad military credentials are something that relatively few folks, in or out of the military, have.

All you have in CAP, rank, position, etc. is at the behest & convenience of your commander, but your PME diploma is yours to keep. . . . . . . for life!

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Good leadership / management training is useful in almost any aspect of life.

Tubacap

I am currently enrolled in SOS and actually am going to use some of the materials (with permission from AU) in an upcoming Leadership Seminar that is being held in the high school where I am a teacher.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

mmouw

I took SOS and am currently enrolled in ACSC. It has good leadership methodology and in a way helps to show where CAP is in the "big picture".

Another benefit of taking the courses is when speaking with or to military folks, I feel it adds credibility to the CAP officer to say we have taken the same PME as the AF officers do. It speaks to professionalism and dedication to be a well rounded individual. I believe it raises our creditability with many. Let's face it these are not easy courses and we do it voluntarily where as they are required.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

Trung Si Ma

Good leadership and management training.  Had not completed AWC then, but did get credits from SOS and ACSC towards my Master's Degrees.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Nolan Teel

Im currently working on SOS.  I love it!  Great Stuff.  Im sure it will help me in CAP as well as life in general!

Gunner C

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 22, 2009, 03:12:42 PM
Good leadership and management training.  Had not completed AWC then, but did get credits from SOS and ACSC towards my Master's Degrees.

Up to 27 freebie grad hours ain't bad.  I'm putting mine to work.

dwb

I took SOS.  I thought it was interesting, but not terribly applicable to CAP.  Like others, I found the leadership theory stuff to be most relevant.

I think about taking ACSC once in a while, but I really want to make it to NSC some day, which would be my preferred way of earning my Wilson.

MSG Mac

Quote from: dwb on December 22, 2009, 06:56:32 PM
I took SOS.  I thought it was interesting, but not terribly applicable to CAP.  Like others, I found the leadership theory stuff to be most relevant.

I think about taking ACSC once in a while, but I really want to make it to NSC some day, which would be my preferred way of earning my Wilson.

ACSC doesn't preclude attending NSC. I did both ACSC to complete Level 5 and than when I made Major attended NSC. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Spike

Completed AWC.  It is a good course, would have liked to sit in on a few sessions though to gain a further understanding of concepts. 

Took SOS, and ACSC as well. 

All in all, I am looking for more things to do.  Right now I applied for the Organizational Excellence Specialty Track, but I am discouraged as I have more OE experience and have more PRO DEV courses under my belt than my Group, Wing and Region Commander combined.  I have already run an SLS, CLC and taught multiple times at RSC.  I would like to go back to NSC.  As a Squadron Commander, I try to get as many of my Officers to attend courses and sign up for distance ed.  It is very beneficial.

RADIOMAN015

While on active duty I've taken NCO Academy, SOS, & ACSC...
Got credit for it for CAP purposes.  HOWEVER, my opinion is that CAP needs to require members' development via in residence and/or via correspondence courses more appropriate to the challenges of "volunteers" management & leadeship.
There's a vast difference in leadership between paid military (with the UCMJ stick) and Civil Air Patrol.
RM 

DBlair

Quote from: Gunner C on December 22, 2009, 05:45:46 PM
Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 22, 2009, 03:12:42 PM

Up to 27 freebie grad hours ain't bad.  I'm putting mine to work.

Interesting... are they counted as graduate program electives or are they applied as specific courses?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BillB

It depends on how your college/university accepts the courses. The American Council on Education has recommended credit hours in various areas such as political science, government, but it's up to your institution to accept the credits and in what areas. Most often they are in electives unless your looking for a degree in the areas recommended.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

James Shaw

As stated earlier I am working on ACSC. I am working on the  National Security portion now. I have taken SOS as well and was given 9 credit hours worth of credit towards my degree. It saved me a couple of thousand dollars. I feel that overall it is beneficial for myself as a member and beneficial for my professional life. I will eventually start a masters program in Public Administration and this is worth a good number of hours. After I eventually make Lt. Col. I will enroll in AWC and use those hours as well.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Flying Pig

What courses, if any can we take as a Capt?  Beyond CAP courses?

Spike

flyboy53

I did the Command NCO Academy in the Air Force and SOS for CAP. I, too, really enjoyed SOS and was glad to complete it. I found the stuff relative even in my work situation. It's worth it just to be able to show that you completed something that intensive.

a2capt

Well, after three AU Form 23 submissions that fell on deaf ears, when submitted to the "proper" channel, vs. one that was submitted to the same channel as any other A4UDafodilECI form submission, which did get a reply saying "this needs to go to AWC@... ", we heard nothing on the others. So when I saw that there was a link on eServices if the member was eligible for it, I informed the potential student in my unit to go into eServices and do it, and he did.  .. and two weeks later got back a rejection:Sent: Wed, December 23, 2009 4:49:59 AMSubject: RE: CAP AWC Distance Learning Enrollment RequestAWC enrollment isn't open to CAP members unless on active duty within CAP.  CAP volunteers cannot enroll.  ....
[/size]
[/size]What does this .. exactly mean? Active Duty within CAP? It does say "Active Member" on the card.. what is a CAP volunteer vs. a CAP active duty?
[/size]

rmcmanus

I'm a "lone wolf" serving as the long-distance Admin Officer for the unit that I formerly commanded in another state.  As a full-time educational administrator at a college that operates year around, I have always had difficulty taking the time off to attend RSC, let alone NSC.  I didn't know that SOS/ACSC could be substituted for the CAP staff colleges but I am glad to that they do.  I have always planned to enroll in ACSC but when I recently attempted to do so, I encountered a considerable amount of difficulty trying to arrange for the proctored examinations while using the CAP enrollment site.  I even called NHQ yet never received a call-back with helpful information.  Has anyone else had that problem?