NER Imposes Term Limits?

Started by EMT-83, July 18, 2011, 02:57:23 AM

RiverAux

Unfortunately, the loophole in the NER policy is that the Wing Commander can keep extending squadron commanders past the end of the term limit.  That means that the squadrons where supposedly "no one else will do it" will still be stuck. 

Squadron Commander term limit should be three years maximum with no possibility of extension and at least 5 years before being eligible to command that unit again. 

Eclipse

I'd argue that in a lot of cases the ones where "no one else will do it" are the most in need of change.

In those cases, forcing the issue, through whatever means necessary, is probably the best for all involved.

And for those of you that would ask "What about Gumby Composite?  They have 80 members, and the commander
has been the same for 15 years..."

I would respond - then she is not making opportunities for anyone else, moving herself to a higher echelon to
export her success, and will, for sure, die or quit one day, and in those cases I have seen "successful" units
grind to a halt because no one else had a clue but the long-term commander.

And those cases of highly successful units with CC's for life are few and far between.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Personally, I'd like to see new CC's at all levels either concurrent with the wing CC's term, or on the mid-point.  That way the organization is in a perpetual state of change.

This would require that we have fixed terms for wing CC's, and in the case that a wing CC leaves office early, the Vice CC completes the term before getting
a chance at his own appointment.  That insures continuity as well as manageable cycles of change.

And that's another thing...

CAP members think they are on steady annual cycles, but they really aren't.  Whether it's the often and random staffer and commander changes, or
major activities like SUI's, Eval's, NCC, etc., which change on the whim if the director's personal schedule.  There's while lot of random
on the calendar every year, which is another reason we can't get things deconflicted.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Mega Bump.

I was searching for this topic when the more recent thread came up on term limits for unit commanders... It appears that the NER OI was updated less than a month after we discussed it here, and appears to have been severely gimped in revision.  Anyone have the previous version to compare?
Mike Johnston

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: MIKE on March 31, 2012, 03:49:45 PM
Mega Bump.

I was searching for this topic when the more recent thread came up on term limits for unit commanders... It appears that the NER OI was updated less than a month after we discussed it here, and appears to have been severely gimped in revision.  Anyone have the previous version to compare?
Can't find the other policy in my computer, but I think what it did is for the first few waivers the respective Wing Commander can grant the waiver.   Region only gets involved with it after 6 years.

Paragraph 6 of the that policy, doesn't make much sense.   Group & Wing Commander's are responsible for appointment Squadron Commanders and not individuals within the squadron. :(   It's interesting in my wing because one squadron had a commander resign and another member from another unit volunteered to be the commander (40+ mile drive one way to the new unit).  The unit the individual left, closed within 3 years when that commander didn't want to do it any more and it was difficult recruiting/retaining staff for that squadron.  So the Wing Commander allowed the plugged to be pulled.
RM