Training Leaders of Cadets seminar in NYWG

Started by Pylon, October 21, 2010, 02:19:25 AM

Pylon

Just figured I'd throw out a friendly invitation to the general CAPTalk community.  I'm directing a Training Leaders of Cadets seminar in Central New York Group (Syracuse, NY) on Sat Nov 20 & Sun Nov 21.

We have a healthy representation from the immediate area, and also a few out-of-state registrants including one from Texas Wing and some pending registrations from Puerto Rico Wing.

If you're interested in attending, there's still a few slots left open. We'll be arranging very cheap (i/e: under $50/night) accommodations near the base.   The full course details are attached if you're interested, as it's always nice to have a good mix of perspectives and experiences at a course like TLC.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RLM10_2_06

If I can get past the financial strain (the fun of being a college student) and a potential transportation issue, I'd LOVE to come. I'm coming from the Buffalo area, so it's not far, but I don't have a car of my own to get there, and I don't think the MPs would appreciate me borrowing a car from a buddy.
-Senior Member, CAP
Former C/PVT, AROTC
Former C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Former C/2LT, AJROTC

EMT-83

Are there any F16s left in Syracuse? When I took SLS there, we spent as much time watching flight ops out the window as we did in the classroom.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RLM10_2_06 on October 21, 2010, 02:34:03 AMI don't think the MPs would appreciate me borrowing a car from a buddy.

If you have a notarized letter authorizing you to use the vehicle you might be fine. Check the local policies. I know that is what they really wanted from me last time I was at a naval station, but I didn't have it so they only issued me a one day pass.

dwb

Quote from: RLM10_2_06 on October 21, 2010, 02:34:03 AM
If I can get past the financial strain (the fun of being a college student) and a potential transportation issue, I'd LOVE to come. I'm coming from the Buffalo area, so it's not far, but I don't have a car of my own to get there, and I don't think the MPs would appreciate me borrowing a car from a buddy.
Check with the course director to see if anyone else is coming from your area.  Also, as long as the inspection and registration are current, security forces will very likely not care whose car you have.  They don't generally check registration at the gate, and you could always carpool from the hotel to the base with another student.

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 21, 2010, 03:05:08 AM
Are there any F16s left in Syracuse? When I took SLS there, we spent as much time watching flight ops out the window as we did in the classroom.
Nope, all gone now.  It's an MQ-9 Reaper base now (UAVs).  When did you take SLS at Hancock Field?

RLM10_2_06

Good suggestions; question, though. Would they ask for this if I have a military ID? *waves pretty dependent DOD card* or are they still going to check for everything?
-Senior Member, CAP
Former C/PVT, AROTC
Former C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Former C/2LT, AJROTC

EMT-83

Quote from: dwb on October 21, 2010, 01:25:26 PMNope, all gone now.  It's an MQ-9 Reaper base now (UAVs).  When did you take SLS at Hancock Field?
I was there in March of 2008. They were talking about the planes going away back then, but I hadn't heard that it actually happened.

SarDragon

Quote from: RLM10_2_06 on October 21, 2010, 11:53:07 PM
Good suggestions; question, though. Would they ask for this if I have a military ID? *waves pretty dependent DOD card* or are they still going to check for everything?
Everyone operating a civilian vehicle on a military base must provide the following items: a valid ID, a valid driver's license (may also serve as ID in many cases), valid vehicle registration, and current proof of insurance. Since the AF has done away with stickers, I'm not sure how they do things now, but USN, USMC, and USA certainly follow that policy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dwb

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 22, 2010, 02:25:32 AMI was there in March of 2008.
Cool.  I taught the "Officership and the Public Trust" and "Squadrons: The Heart of CAP" modules at that SLS.  Do I know you?  Your name isn't in your sig.

dwb

Quote from: RLM10_2_06 on October 21, 2010, 11:53:07 PM
Typically they just check for ID.  However, they're well within their right to ask for registration and proof of insurance, and they generally check the inspection sticker on a vehicle (that's how we found out our CAP van was overdue...  :-[ ).  Your best bet is to either contact Capt Kieloch to see if you can carpool with another WNYG member, or carpool with someone from the local hotel on to the base (< 5 min. drive).  This way, you don't have to explain why you're driving someone else's car, if the need arises.

Pylon

Shameless bump.   8)

Still have some slots open for those interested.

RLM10_2_06

Just got my confirmation via the POC and got my uniform/money issues taken care of; I'm going! I can't wait 8)
-Senior Member, CAP
Former C/PVT, AROTC
Former C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Former C/2LT, AJROTC

Pylon

Looking forward to the course, also.  We'll have quite the group of people with participants ranging from across the northeast as well as flying in from as far as Texas and Puerto Rico Wing and in duty assignments ranging from leadership officer all the way through Wing DCP.

Still a couple slots open and a few days left to register.  Come join us.   8)