Main Menu

NCSA's = $$$$$

Started by jimmydean, August 22, 2005, 01:11:31 PM

jimmydean

I recently just fininshed wisconsin wing basic school, so I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions about NCSA's. 

There are quite a few that sound pretty cool and the tuition is relatively
inexpensive (Blue Beret=$195, Hawk Mountain=$100, the list goes on). 

Surely I could pay for these myself or convince my parents to pay for it, but my biggest problem is transportation.  I live in the Twin Cities, MN so the only practicle drive to an NCSA is the Oskosh Blue Beret.  Don't get me wrong I would love to go to Blue Beret but I will only be 15 next summer and as I understand it you have to be 16.

So if I can't drive anywhere (at least comfortably) can CAP or the military give transport and if not are there scholorships to pay for plane tickets to NCSA's.

MIKE

It's not so cheap if you factor in airfare or other transportation expenses... Also for a lot of these activities there are costs for the additional equipment and uniforms you will need in order to participate.

Getting military airlift space-A is highly unlikely.

I don't know much about scholarships for NCSAs... I think some wing might have  money available for them, but I personally don't agree with providing scholarships for NCSA's... For encampments yes... but you should really pay your own way for an NCSA.

JMHO.
Mike Johnston

whatevah

yes, a bunch of them are quite expensive, especially if you pick the NFA schools.  But, that's because you're paying for the aviation fuel used.

NESA and Hawk (I don't think Hawk has NCSA status, anymore) are cheap because you're only paying for food, van fuel and various supplies.  I'm pretty sure that the housing for both activities are free, which really helps the cost.

As for funding, talk to your squadron (through the chain of command!) about doing fundraisers to help cadets goto an NCSA. I know that some squadrons set it up with a "point system", you get a point for each hour you help out at a fundraiser, and you get a percentage of the funds based on the number of points you have.  Do enough good fund raisers, and you can probably even pay for the NFA-Powered activity and a little towards airfare.   On those lines, an awesome money-making fundraiser is a carwash.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: whatevah on August 22, 2005, 03:12:48 PM
yes, a bunch of them are quite expensive, especially if you pick the NFA schools.  But, that's because you're paying for the aviation fuel used.

And the cost of the many many hours placed on the aircraft for that week.

I've always been blessed with parents who were willing to dish out for my NCSA's, but you can also talk to your squadron and wing about possible scholarships.  Also, if you're interested in a flight academy, check out Johnson Flight Encampment (or any wing wide flight encampments.)  They're generally cheaper and will more than likely accept out of state cadets.

If you start looking for money now, you won't be in a bind in Jan-Feb when you have to pay for them.
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Matt

For flight encampments cmdbuddy is right, out of state is really the way to go.  If you're really in desperate want for a close flight academy, don't forget we have one in Oshkosh along with the Project Officer in our wing.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: whatevah on August 22, 2005, 03:12:48 PM

NESA and Hawk (I don't think Hawk has NCSA status, anymore) are cheap because you're only paying for food, van fuel and various supplies.  I'm pretty sure that the housing for both activities are free, which really helps the cost.

Unless something has changed very recently, Hawk Summmer School is still an NCSA.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

SarDragon

Quote from: whatevah on August 22, 2005, 03:12:48 PM[redacted] NESA and Hawk (I don't think Hawk has NCSA status, anymore)... [further redacted]
According the the latest list, Hawk is/was still an NCSA for 2005.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

whatevah

checking the NHQ site, it does have NCSA status, I remember a couple of years ago it was dropped, but still mentioned in the CAPNews' summer activities special section.  I sit corrected!  :D
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin