CAP Instructor Pilots

Started by all around pilot, February 01, 2022, 08:38:53 AM

all around pilot

Just curious. Let's say someone is a CFI, joins a squadron, gets TMP qualified. What is the likely amount of time before they usually become CAP Instructor Pilots? I know there isn't a set hour requirement, just curious what most wings look for in terms of experience when certifying someone as a CAP IP?

jeders

I can only speak for what I've seen here in TXWG. Typically, the Stan/Eval folks are going to want to see a minimum of 1 year as a qualified CAP pilot and actively engaged in the flying program. It has less to do with total hours (because if you're a CFI you should generally already have more than enough hours for anything that CAP requires), and more to do with experience with CAP processes and procedures. I've seen the result of CAP pilots not being well-trained in the CAP specific parts of flying (flight releases, paperwork, etc), and it often as not winds up with CAP-USAF inspections and retraining of IPs and CPs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Pinecone

MD Wing currently wants you to be Mission Pilot qualified before being accepted as a CAP Flight Instructor.