Approved ES Supplements

Started by Always Ready, March 18, 2009, 04:18:54 AM

Always Ready

I know there are dozens of topics debating whether supplements are to be followed or not, but this site seems fairly specific from the National website.
As of this date there are no additional approved supplements, letters, clarifications, waivers or operating instructions published to the above regulations.
So what does that mean exactly if a wing supplement to "CAPR 35-6, 60-3, 60-4 VI PI, 60-4 VI PII" is not listed there? That we don't have to follow it? That we still have to follow it but our wing is breaking National rules?

I'm just curious. If I even dared to bring this question up to my chain of command, they would send an unmarked black (or white depending on your source) van to make me disappear  ;)

Eclipse

Supplements to the ES regs must be approved by NHQ, and resubmitted any time the regulation itself is updated.

The recent release of an updated 60-3 has voided the various wing supplements until such time as they are resubmitted for review and approval.  I know my wing has mentioned in several staff meetings that they need to get moving on resubmitting the supplement.

Not adhering to what was your respective wing's SOP up to that time is "dangerous" (sometimes literally), but it would be difficult to enforce any meaningful disciplinary action for disobeying or disregarding a supplement which is not properly approved, updated or otherwise.   From a regulatory standpoint either something is a rule or its not.

CAWG, for example, has some fairly substantial supplements, not the least of which is the ever popular requirement for Nomex to be worn by all flight crews.  The clubhouse lawyer in me says that until their updated version of the supplement is approved, that's not something they can enforce.  (IANAL, but I have seen one on TV, just now, in fact)

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

Hmm. If you go to this page on the NHQ website, there are 31 "Approved Supplements, Operating Instructions & Waivers to CAPRs 35-6, 60-1, 60-3, 60-4 VI PI, 60-4 V."

QuoteThe recent release of an updated 60-3...
Did I miss something? NHQ shows the most recent version of 60-3 is still the May 2004 version, with the NIMS letter of April 2008. Or is there another publications page with a different set of pubs, just like the two pages with different supplements?

Mike

Always Ready

Hmmmm....scary. There are two of them! :o Can anyone say SNAFU?

Quote from: Eclipse on March 18, 2009, 04:30:44 AM
The recent release of an updated 60-3...
I think you mean 60-1...the one that was updated last month?

End note-I follow all regulations, supplements, and local SOPs no matter if they are properly approved by NHQ or not. It's just safer and I make more friends. <sarcasm>Although, I'm sure my lawyer won't see it that way if I do something wrong following not properly approved supplements...</sarcasm>...what a conundrum huh?

bosshawk

On eServices, there is a new revision to 60-3 that is posted for comments.  That is probably what they are referring to.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

davidsinn

I see the problem look at the top of each page:

Approved Supplements, Operating Instructions & Waivers to CAPRs 35-6, 60-1, 60-3, 60-4 VI PI, 60-4 V

Approved Supplements, Operating Instructions & Waivers to CAPRs 35-6, 60-3, 60-4 VI PI, 60-4 VI PII,

Although why one has everything and the other leaves off 60-1 is kind of stupid IMHO. Also I just noticed that 60-4 is slightly different between the two pages.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

I wss referring to go-1, my mistake, but as noted there is a 60-3 for comment as well.

Bottom line, if a supplement predates the reg, it goes void and has to be resubmitted.

There's also a school of thought that local unit SOP's go void when a new CC comes to town, though I don't know if that's regulatory or just good policy.

"That Others May Zoom"

Always Ready

Thanks everyone. I knew there was more supplements out there than what I was pulling up. I going to send an e-mail to the gocivilairpatrol.com webmaster later to ask them to fix that...it's ridiculous and hopefully no one gets hurt by going off of one and not the other.

Could someone post a link to the new 60-3 mention earlier that is posted for comment? I couldn't find it. Thanks

(Semi off topic: What's funny is my wing's supplement to 60-3 isn't on either site. I'm going to start asking around about that.)