Some things have not changed ... :)

Started by a2capt, November 16, 2012, 04:48:55 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on November 17, 2012, 04:18:54 PM-Plus, we would run two missions a year in the wing. A SARCAP in the fall and a SARDA in the fall. There would be three missions bases: southern, central, and northern. I don't remember us ever having a shortage of people or planes at one of these. These made a definite time when someone could go to a mission and get credit towards a qual or a renewal. In my opinioin, this worked a lot better  than the current system the wing has.

What "system" would that be?

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on November 17, 2012, 05:12:16 PM
Exactly.

I would suggest you contact your Group ESO.

The wing has published a detailed training framework for FY2013 which includes 2 wing-level SARExs,
6 Group level activities, 6 high bird nets, as well as specific mandates for incorporating ES training into unit-level 13-week schedules.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Yeah, I saw the e mail. And if half that comes off as planned, I'd be real surprised.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

The plans will live or die based on whether the unit and groups fulfill their pieces.

If they can't be bothered, nothing will change.

"That Others May Zoom"

captalkpilot

In FY2012 whiteman sq 35 pilots FLEW 618.7 HOURS.  and 63 observer rides.  They use more planes than just the one at the airport.  :clap:

also there is no member by that name in SQ35  :-\

Quote from: SarDragon on November 17, 2012, 09:53:22 AM
A few semi-random CAWG stats for FY 12:

29 powered A/C assigned, two were sold, with no hours flown during FY12

Of the 27 remaining, another is awaiting sale, with 60 hours flown in the FY

5450.6 hrs / 27 = 201.9 average

1 plane (based at Riverside, don't know unit) flew 325.5 hrs; 12 flew less than 200 but more than 100

Sq 35 (out of Whitemen) flew 292.7, 3rd most; Fresno's plane flew 297.5, 2nd most

SarDragon

Quote from: captalkpilot on November 19, 2012, 05:32:40 AM
In FY2012 whiteman sq 35 pilots FLEW 618.7 HOURS.  and 63 observer rides.  They use more planes than just the one at the airport.  :clap:

1 plane (based at Riverside, don't know unit) flew 325.5 hrs; 12 flew less than 200 but more than 100

Sq 35 (out of Whitemen) flew 292.7, 3rd most; Fresno's plane flew 297.5, 2nd most

Lighten up, Francis.

No one by what name? I don't see anyone specific mentioned in my post. (I did misspell Whiteman.)

As for the numbers, they came straight out of WMIRS. I used the numbers from the one airplane based there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

captalkpilot

the original poster, wimrs can be misleading that way. no worries here my dragon friend.  >:D

Quote from: SarDragon on November 19, 2012, 07:19:11 AM

Lighten up, Francis.

No one by what name? I don't see anyone specific mentioned in my post. (I did misspell Whiteman.)

As for the numbers, they came straight out of WMIRS. I used the numbers from the one airplane based there.

SarDragon

Quote from: Original post"2/Lt. Patrick G. Quinn
San Fernando Airport Sr. Sq. 35, Group 1.

--------------------------------------------------

From CAWG Bear Facts, APR-MAY 1970.

I would expect not.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CavScout

I believe almost nothing changes. The 'generation' thing is laughable, with the older gen always naming the next something insulting, when they did horrible stuff in their own way.

I like that letter. I believe it could almost be copy & pasted to be sent up the chain. "GES16" I think it's called, the first GT test you need, I remember as being impractical and useless for new GT members, or at least cadets. Now we have ICS100 and 700 almost equally useless to the new GT3 cadet. Two 8 hour courses just to get GT3 or even participate in a field exercise?

As far as the internet age, we still have many PC-illiterate members and it's rough for them. Systems being too confusing is a constant topic among seniors. I'm great with the digital world but that won't help me through something I do once or twice a year.

Being a volunteer organization means it's a constant battle to fill positions where you get a sizeable workload dumped on you.

Just MHO.

docbiochem33

Quote from: a2capt on November 16, 2012, 04:48:55 PM

Editor:     
The February newsletter stated that "Effective 1 March 1970, all personnel must have an emergency services standard or trainee card to participate on missions" and "all aircraft must carry an observer in addition to the pilot."  It is my opinion that these requirements are grossly impractical.

The emergency services card itself is difficult to obtain, proves nothing, which actually discourages good members to the point where they leave the program...(they) tire of "bucking the system" and flat quit.  This leaves us with the inferior members who stuck it out because they want to "belong."

I don't see some of the problems and I have seen the changes.  The biggest reason for the changes is safety.  I have seen people do dumb things and they got away with it, but eventually it catches up with people. 

All of the tests are a way of reinforcing safety and it is a way to make sure you actually know what you are doing.  If you ever have the joy of working with a team that has no clue as to what they are doing it makes things tough on the few who do.  I can't say how many times I have been out trying to fix things over getting my job done as a GTL. 

The other thing this does it stop some of the old training that used to exist in CAP.  Persons in training would get their certifications by someone putting in requirements not done and then driving around the block with their trainer and they were all of a sudden "qualified."  This hurt the program more than the requirements do now because you had units running around where it was the blank leading the blind.

I also know as a cadet I never once saw the GTM requirements and could not tell you where to find them, but I was a GTM and Radio Operator Trainee for years.   We need the reuirements.

CavScout

Your post was included in the quote. I didn't think you actually commented at first.

I agree, requirements are needed, but maybe certain ones should be changed to be practical, or dropped. GES16 is one of them. All the years I was a cadet, I learned from very qualified SM's, we trained to standard, and we were proficient. It varies by squadron. There hasn't been any change to the system that prevents people from getting tasks signed off when they shouldn't be.

How often do the metro squadrons actually get out into the woods? Don't get me wrong, some do. Some also don't, and even some rural squadrons don't.

Eclipse

The 116 has nothing to do with being in the woods, it's baseline pre-req information about how CAP ES works.

Quote from: CavScout on November 28, 2012, 04:18:45 AMNow we have ICS100 and 700 almost equally useless to the new GT3 cadet. Two 8 hour courses just to get GT3 or even participate in a field exercise?

ICS100, 700, and 800 are online tests that shouldn't take more then about an hour total.

Quote from: CavScout on November 28, 2012, 04:18:45 AM
As far as the internet age, we still have many PC-illiterate members and it's rough for them. Systems being too confusing is a constant topic among seniors. I'm great with the digital world but that won't help me through something I do once or twice a year.

For better or worse, this is the state of society, not just CAP. If you do not have basic computer skills, it is hard to navigate life, let alone CAP, and while it might be a harsh reality, anyone joining as a new member today, who is unable or unwilling to acquire the very basic online skills needed to
be successful in CAP, is not likely to be much of an asset for very long anyway, nor are they likely to be involved in aviation as a pilot (since that pretty much requires a computer these days), nor ground-pounding (because of age).

If they "just want to help", that's great.  They won't need much online, but staying informed will be a challenge.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: CavScout on November 28, 2012, 05:12:24 AM

How often do the metro squadrons actually get out into the woods? Don't get me wrong, some do. Some also don't, and even some rural squadrons don't.

We find a way. Usually. Even if it takes a few hours fighting gridlock and idiots with HUA/rectal-cranial inversion.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Private Investigator

Do they have a Corporate 182 and a 206?

SarDragon

The plane based at Whiteman is a 182T.

The 206s are at Gillespie, John Wayne (down), Gnoss, Cable, Zamperini, and Castle.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret