Given all the discussion about fuzzies around here...

Started by vmstan, March 24, 2010, 08:11:03 PM

raivo

barbate [ˈbɑːbeɪt]
adj
(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) Chiefly biology having tufts of long hairs; bearded
[from Latin barba - a beard]

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

davedove

It always amazes me whenever the grooming topic comes up, someone always jumps to ponytails and ZZ-top beards.  While I'm sure that someone in CAP may have that, I have never seen it.  Of the CAP people I have met, while I have met a few whose hair wasn't within AF standards, all were pretty close, certainly not ponytail length.  And for facial hair, all the beards were pretty well trimmed, all less than a couple of inches in length.  So, while the possibility exists since CAP doesn't disallow it, the reality is that it doesn't really happen.

David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

wuzafuzz

I've seen a CAP member with a ponytail.  He is a dedicated and accomplished CAP member.  He properly wears uniforms that are permitted with his grooming choices.  By all accounts he does a great job for CAP.  Anyone who has a problem with that really ought to ensure their problem doesn't become everyone elses problem.

I recall the first time I met a law enforcement park ranger with a ponytail.  Uniform, badge, gun, smokey hat, red and blue flashy lights and a ponytail.  While I remember being surprised, there was no reason to dismiss or minimize him.  I was there to work a crime scene and kept my thoughts to myself.  Over time it became apparent this guy really had his act together.

We aren't talking about vagrants you can smell a mile away.  Publicly pre-judging a person's value to CAP, or most any other organization, based solely on their choice of long hair or beard is without merit.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

mikebank

While I was in the Navy, I had a beard(I know,old guy). There were grooming standards for the wearing of gas masks, so the mask could fit over your beard.
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

SarDragon

Quote from: mikebank on March 26, 2010, 05:26:00 PM
While I was in the Navy, I had a beard(I know,old guy). There were grooming standards for the wearing of gas masks, so the mask could fit over your beard.

And it still didn't seal properly. I, too, had various iterations of beards WIWOAD, and every time I did training on some sort of facial mask (OBA, gas mask, respirator, etc.) they failed to seal completely, regardless of beard configuration. The goatee did the best, but still failed the test.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret