Non locking thread- hopefully.

Started by RogueLeader, April 02, 2007, 08:22:30 PM

RogueLeader

Here's a thread that can flow and change as the conversation goes.  Just don't say anything you would be embarassed about if posts are questionable.
So,
Star Wars is better than Star Trek.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eagle400

I agree.  Star Trek is corny.

And here's something that's not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MTt5Kv5Qng

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 02, 2007, 08:22:30 PM
Here's a thread that can flow and change as the conversation goes.

Isn't that how all of our threads go?

LtCol White

It depends on your criteria for better. Of course, special effects of Star Wars wins hands down.  Quality of acting is better in SW as well.  The SW story is an epic tale that evolves with a final. Star Trek was a series of independent episodes that were not connected together.

But I agree that the Star Wars series is better.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Pumbaa

I think they need to make the uniforms better.

>:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: 12211985 on April 02, 2007, 08:27:14 PM
I agree.  Star Trek is corny.

And here's something that's not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MTt5Kv5Qng
But there is no "topic" to stay centerd on.  This could go on for 200 pages and yet cover 20 or 30 different topic, and guess what: I don't care one bit.
Now, to continue debate,
it was due to Star Wars that TNG of Star Trek looked as it did.  It was ILM the did all or most of the special effects.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eagle400

Quote from: 2nd LT Fairchild on April 02, 2007, 08:34:58 PM
I think they need to make the uniforms better.

>:D

Which one, Star Trek or Star Wars?

1LtNurseOfficer

Treky to the core......................................

I don't care for Classic Trek, however, I really enjoy TNG, DS9 and Voyager.  I wish they hadn't cancelled Enterprise.  It was just getting good!!!!

RogueLeader

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on April 02, 2007, 08:48:01 PM
Treky to the core......................................

I don't care for Classic Trek, however, I really enjoy TNG, DS9 and Voyager.  I wish they hadn't cancelled Enterprise.  It was just getting good!!!!
suuuuurrrrreeeeee.  oooookkkkkkaaayyy. ;)
If you say so.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

carnold1836

I love Star Wars and Star Trek both, Star Wars a little more.

But what about the new Battlestar Galactica, I mean holy crap it is awesome. Seriously I can not wait for Jan 2008 for the next season.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Monty

Major Carrales

Honestly, Star Trek (ST:TOS) and Star Wars (all parts) are not a real fair comparison.  They existed in different times, one began as a late 1960s Network TV series the other as a 1970s Theatrical Movie.

I think it is possible to love them both for what they are...

Star Wars is epic...Star Trek is allegorical

Star Trek is the Fantasy of the Future...Star Wars is the Fantasy of Long ago and Far away.

Star Wars was planned...Star Trek evolved from fragments

Star Trek is "wagon train to the stars," Star Wars is "Shakespeare to the stars."

Star Wars is a tale about a young man in the desert that rises to rival an Empire (almost Biblical), Star Trek is a about a young Starship Captain who lives for duty and booty.

I say love them both for what they are...
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Psicorp

Quote from: carnold1836 on April 02, 2007, 09:14:14 PM
I love Star Wars and Star Trek both, Star Wars a little more.

But what about the new Battlestar Galactica, I mean holy crap it is awesome. Seriously I can not wait for Jan 2008 for the next season.

At least the Sci-Fi Channel knows better than to cancel BSG...unlike some of my other favorite shows.

Space: Above and Beyond - Cancelled
Farscape - Cancelled
Babylon 5 (and it's spin off)- Cancelled
Firefly - Cancelled
The Lone Gunmen - Cancelled
Tru Calling - Cancelled
Ultraviolet - Cancelled
Invasion - Cancelled
Earth 2 - Cancelled
Blade - Cancelled
Birds of Prey - Cancelled
Highlander - Cancelled
MST3K - Cancelled
Quantum Leap - Cancelled

There are lots more, especially if you add in Anime, but all I can really say now is:  Gods bless the creator of the DVR!!

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

fyrfitrmedic

Fundamental differences between Star Trek and Star Wars:

Star Trek = mix of Horatio Hornblower and Wagon Train with a smidge of Roddeberry's beliefs regarding secular humanism.

Star Wars = Joseph Campbell's Hero Of A Thousand Faces with a dollop here and there of Kurosawa's works.

I've been a Star Wars fan since the original came out. I've been a Star Trek fan since I watched TOS reruns as a wee lad.  For me it's not a question of 'better' but 'different, like drinking both Coke or Pepsi depending on availability, mood and what goes better with what.

As far as Star Trek goes, I liked TOS and the TOS-crew movies. It took me three years to warm up to TNG, and even then it's luke warm for me. I liked DS9, didn't like Voyager and utterly hated Enterprise...

I liked the original BSG and expected not to like the 'reimagined' BSG - boy, was I wrong! Gonna be a long year before the Pegasus-flashback episodes air before the debut of Season 4 next January.

I've been known to go to fan-run scifi cons here and there from time to time and used to do a little side work for a long-defunct con promoter.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Eagle400

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on April 02, 2007, 10:41:07 PM

Star Trek = mix of Horatio Hornblower and Wagon Train with a smidge of Roddeberry's beliefs regarding secular humanism.

Star Wars = Joseph Campbell's Hero Of A Thousand Faces with a dollop here and there of Kurosawa's works.

I've been a Star Wars fan since the original came out. I've been a Star Trek fan since I watched TOS reruns as a wee lad.  For me it's not a question of 'better' but 'different, like drinking both Coke or Pepsi depending on availability, mood and what goes better with what.

As far as Star Trek goes, I liked TOS and the TOS-crew movies. It took me three years to warm up to TNG, and even then it's luke warm for me. I liked DS9, didn't like Voyager and utterly hated Enterprise...

I liked the original BSG and expected not to like the 'reimagined' BSG - boy, was I wrong! Gonna be a long year before the Pegasus-flashback episodes air before the debut of Season 4 next January.

I've been known to go to fan-run scifi cons here and there from time to time and used to do a little side work for a long-defunct con promoter.

You actually LIKED "Deep Space 90210?"
Another former CAP officer

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 03, 2007, 12:52:46 AM
Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on April 02, 2007, 10:41:07 PM

You actually LIKED "Deep Space 90210?"

As a whole, sort of. In particular, I liked it when it got a bit darker as the series progressed.

IMHO, it beat 'are we there yet?' Voyager and 'to hell with quality, give us ratings!' Enterprise hands-down.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Major_Chuck

Oh no.  Star Trek is hands down better than Star Wars.  When the Ewoks appeared in the Star Wars Universe that was the nail in the coffin.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

LtCol White

Quote from: msmjr2003 on April 02, 2007, 09:54:28 PM
My wife and I hate Star Wars.

But you're from Alabama.... ;D Luke did kiss his sister though.... ::)
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.