Main Menu

6 months

Started by Devil Doc, January 11, 2013, 01:52:31 AM

Devil Doc

I am very pleased to be with CAP. My 6 month mark will be Jan 25th. I am already a MS, GT3, and training in many other ES Jobs. So far I love it. Them darn little Cessnas are a little bit smaller than i had in mind, lol. I have been on Numerous Training Missions even have POD training, which is awesome, just waiting for that real mission. I can say i am over all pleased, it is a great way to bridge the gap. I look forward to the next 6 months and beyond.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Just take it one thing at a time.

It's easy to overextend yourself in CAP; I've done it and many others have.  Part of it is because so many of us in CAP have to wear so many hats within our units, but hopefully that's not afflicting you as a new(ish) member. ;)

My free, unsolicited, slightly-cracked advice? 

Next take Squadron Leadership School (SLS), and get your Yeager Aerospace ribbon (you can do that online - back in my day it was a closed-book textbook exam).  OK, I'm biased toward AE, but you do learn a lot and you get a nice, pretty ribbon to wear. ;D
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

Already ahead of ya Cyborg, Took SLS in November, and took both Yeager test for the ribbons. Im just waiting now to become a MO and GTL.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 11, 2013, 02:12:12 AM
Already ahead of ya Cyborg, Took SLS in November, and took both Yeager test for the ribbons. Im just waiting now to become a MO and GTL.

Well, see if I give YOU any more unsolicited, free advice borne of my ancient wisdom. :P
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

Former HM3, U.S NAVY

JeffDG

Once you finish your MO and GTL, consider moving into the staff side of things...always need good AOBDs (MO prereq) and GBDs (GTL prereq) to keep the exercises and missions flowing smoothly.

Woodsy

Quote from: JeffDG on January 11, 2013, 02:58:59 AM
Once you finish your MO and GTL, consider moving into the staff side of things...always need good AOBDs (MO prereq) and GBDs (GTL prereq) to keep the exercises and missions flowing smoothly.

Some of my favorite experiences in CAP involved working in a mission base capacity. I have several base quals, including MSA, MRO, PIO, LO and am one familiarization task away from training for AOBD.  Mission base staff are critical to any large-scale mission.  Sometimes getting down and dirty is fun, but but sometimes staying inside in the air conditioning or heat (and closer to the doughnut table!) is more fun! 

My favorite ES qual I have is LO.  It is so broad what it can entail.  You could wind up in the base on a phone, or in the right seat of a state patrol car with their people, or working representing CAP in a multi-agency command center...

Speaking of multi-agency....  I'm also a PIO, and LO can be important with that as well.  Any PIO that might work in a Joint Information Center (JIC) should train up on LO as well. 

SarDragon

Ribbons? As in more than one?

There are two tests, in case you fail the first time. There's still only one ribbon.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

LOLOLOLOL .. and I thought that was a once in a lifetime thing.
I swear. I several years ago in another Wing.. during a road trip. I saw someone with a clasp on a Yeager ribbon.

Turned out that it was a "test" to see if anyone would spot it, that evening. But my first comment about it was "is that because you took each version of the test and passed them?"

..the out of state guy was the only one to notice. ;)

Devil Doc

Yes, I thaught I had to take both test to get the Ribbon, LOL. I see all them choices you guys make,  I just got to find my Niche. My Specilaty is Emergency Services, so I have to wait another 9 months before i can qualify for Level 2.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Walkman

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 11, 2013, 01:52:31 AM
I am very pleased to be with CAP. My 6 month mark will be Jan 25th. I am already a MS, GT3, and training in many other ES Jobs. So far I love it. Them darn little Cessnas are a little bit smaller than i had in mind, lol. I have been on Numerous Training Missions even have POD training, which is awesome, just waiting for that real mission. I can say i am over all pleased, it is a great way to bridge the gap. I look forward to the next 6 months and beyond.

Bravo Zulu DD! Keep up the good work. Glad to have you on the team.

Rick-DEL

Welcome.

Glad you are enjoyning it so far. As others stated, avoid the burnout by not overpacing yourself. Find a niche (ES it sounds like) and expand from there, holding onto the core areas that make you happy. You will wear many hats, but always hold onto that one special piece that interest you personally. For me, it is aircrew activities (MS/MO/CD/AP) and that is what I call "doing it for me" since I love it personally and it falls right into the missions anyway. All the other stuff I do such as PDO, PO, AO, and Deputy Commander do not suffer becuase I get to refresh myself during flights.

Just my weird way to avoiding the burnout.

Stonewall

I worked my way up to GOD GBD and worked that a few times, but I still feel my calling is in the field on Ground Teams.  Although I am not current in any GT qualifications...in due time.  I earned observer quals back in the 90s and flew a few missions, but mainly added that skill set to help me better understand the air ops side of the house.  I think it's important for both sides, ground & air, to experience both sides of the mission.

That said, once I requalify as a Ground Team Leader, I'll likely avoid mission base taskings until I'm a burden to a ground team (i.e. too old).  I enjoy training up cadet leaders to lead the team while I observe and advise as needed.
Serving since 1987.

Luis R. Ramos

Stone-

What would you consider "too old?"

I am 58, I intend to re-qualify as GTM3 then GTL! But my calling now is for more mission base taskings...

CUL, MSO are like siren songs to me...

flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Devil Doc

My sad Ribbon Rack is small :( I want to do outside things first, to try to keep this weight off. I have to say that I have done alot. I go to almost every SAREX, function, etc. There is a few SAREX coming up i may have to miss. Im just trying to feel part of the team again.  "Im loving it"
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Quote from: flyer333555 on January 11, 2013, 08:28:16 PM
Stone-

What would you consider "too old?"

Perhaps "too old" wasn't appropriate.  Maybe the word "broken" would be better used.  I can see myself in the field for another 25 years at least (I'm 40), but my body may not agree with me.

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 11, 2013, 08:32:52 PM
My sad Ribbon Rack is small :( 

Size does not matter....when it comes to ribbon racks.  Real CAP members wear flight suits or BDUs where ribbons are irrelevant  >:D
Serving since 1987.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 11, 2013, 08:32:52 PM
My sad Ribbon Rack is small :(

Probably not as "sad" as mine...after almost 20 years I only have Observer Wings, a Commander's Commendation, Grover Loening, Leadership Ribbon with star indicating Level III, Membership Ribbon, Yeager Award Ribbon and Red Service Ribbon with two clasps.  I have a technician rating in Safety and a Master rating in Administration.

It's really probably my own fault because so much of my labour is behind-the-scenes and hence isn't very noticeable and I don't know many people outside my own unit.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't call the Navy ribbon rack in your sig line "sad" in the slightest.

If you're going for GT it's likely your ribbon rack won't stay small. 8)  I wish I could do GT, but I have health issues that prevent it.  It wouldn't be good for my team-mates to be out in the field on ops and end up having to take care of a broken-down almost-47-year-old Captain who considers getting out of bed in the morning without injuring myself to be a good daily accomplishment. :o

Just take it easy.  You're doing fine and I don't think anyone wants to see you bite off more than you can chew.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

Im a disabled Vet, trust me, it is hard for me to get out of bed also. I dont show pain much, its the way i was taught. Im just excited i found some friends on CT, CAP and being a role model for cadets.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

mhammack

Shoot, here I thought I was doing pretty well.  Just MS, AP, and Yeager award after 6 mos (SLS and MO coming soon, then MP).

You guys make me feel like a slacker.

Good job and take care,

Mark Hammack
1st Lt CAP
SWR-TX-413

EMT-83

Quote from: CyBorg on January 11, 2013, 10:14:19 PM
...after almost 20 years I only have Observer Wings, a Commander's Commendation, Grover Loening, Leadership Ribbon with star indicating Level III, Membership Ribbon, Yeager Award Ribbon and Red Service Ribbon with two clasps.  I have a technician rating in Safety and a Master rating in Administration.

The silver star is for your master rating, not Level III. A small, but significant, difference.