Main Menu

Hypothetical Situation

Started by NIN, September 22, 2012, 01:33:53 AM

Jon Knapp

As a good CAP/military friend of mine said "if you really care about your military service you'll know how to produce a 214."

This was after an actual incident like this incident.
Jonathan D. Knapp, C/1st Lt, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, MER-NC-800

Eclipse

Exactly.

At the end, it doesn't matter why you can't substantiate your service, either you can or you can't.

The 214 is one quick and easy way, but there are other reasonable options.

No paper, no bling, no excuses.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

If anyone cares to substantiate my 4 weeks of AD then I have that paper.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

bosshawk

NIN provided more info and I agree with what he says.

That said, one of my points was that a 214 does not, necessarily, cover the entire term of service for some individuals.  As I pointed out, my 214 covers my 9.5 yrs of AD and none of the 20.5 years that I served in the Army Reserve.  In fact, about half of my ribbons and decorations were earned during my Reserve time, so they don't show up on my 214.  In order to substantiate my three Meritorious Service Medals, my promotion to LtCol and Col, I have orders covering them.

I see that the guy in question tried to put something over on his CoC and I understand the issues.

Now, on to a juicy uniform discussion.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Devil Doc

All I know that if I ever find out some one is Stealing Valor, when I have had my friends around me die   for this country. Stand By to Stand By. I have zero tolerance. Ive seen some stuff and have done some stuff, good and bad, but I never embelish on my service.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Private Investigator

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 25, 2012, 01:25:33 PM
There is one floating around out there that I have seen that claims GO rank (MG actually last I saw when he was in AF uniform)  but cant seem to find him listed on the USAF list of appointed or retired GO.  He for sure used his rank to get a CAP appt as a Lt Col.  A few years back could have sworn he was either recently retired or IRR caliminmg one star, saw him a few months back with 2 stars....someone else commented and he said he got called back for an assignment and promoted to the second star.....but now is officially retired.... that kicked the BS meter into the red zone....just havent had the time to do anything more than a causal internet search.

mk

I have came across two bogus Admirals over the years. One was actually the underachieving son of a real Navy Admiral. Of course the greatest Kentucky Colonel was Harlon Sanders but I wonder what his rank would be in CAP   ::)

a2capt

Col. Sanders would be running the fuel island, and aircraft would come not for AvGas, but for in-flight meal restocking, of that control finger lickin' good recipe..

Private Investigator

A lot of people thought Colonel Saunders was a real Colonel too.

SarDragon

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 27, 2012, 08:13:04 AM
A lot of people thought Colonel Saunders was a real Colonel too.

That's Sanders, and he was a Kentucky Colonel, which is real enough to me.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

Didn't I read somewhere that Saunders WAS a Captain in CAP at one point?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

bflynn

Who cares, it's a hypothetical situation. 

Reality is rough enough to deal with.

Nathan

Quote from: bflynn on September 27, 2012, 08:16:20 PM

Think about that assertion. Take your time.

Then come back and tell me how it turned out.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

RogueLeader

Quote from: bflynn on September 27, 2012, 08:16:20 PM

Sure, its hypothetical. . .  Just like "my friend" has a problem.  Usually (not always), "my friend" is usually a euphemism for "me."
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

NIN

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 27, 2012, 09:57:46 PM
Sure, its hypothetical. . .  Just like "my friend" has a problem.  Usually (not always), "my friend" is usually a euphemism for "me."

Being retired and all, I can just sit back and say "my friend" is a euphemism for "my friend in CAP".

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RogueLeader

Quote from: NIN on September 27, 2012, 10:13:00 PM

Being retired and all, I can just sit back and say "my friend" is a euphemism for "my friend in CAP".

Like I said, Usually.  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Garibaldi

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 27, 2012, 10:35:01 PM
Quote from: NIN on September 27, 2012, 10:13:00 PM

Like I said, Usually.  ;)

But...I do have a friend! I do!

RADIOMAN015

I agree that the DD Form 214 (maybe more than one) would be the best source for all awards & ribbons.
I would think some might also have all appointment,  promotion,  permanent change of station, discharge, and retirement orders.   Perhaps Statement of Service.   Also for any specific awards/decorations individuals might have the actual award certificates, awards narratives, awards orders, as well as the ribbon/medal/(mini ribbon?).

I think that it is shameful for anyone BUT especially a Civil Air Patrol adult member to wear unearned military awards/ribbons or aviation/occupational on their CAP AF type uniform, and they deserve to have their membership terminated since this is a significant integrity issue and could have a negative public relations effect on the organization.

RM 

Garibaldi

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 28, 2012, 12:20:44 AM
I agree that the DD Form 214 (maybe more than one) would be the best source for all awards & ribbons.
I would think some might also have all appointment,  promotion,  permanent change of station, discharge, and retirement orders.   Perhaps Statement of Service.   Also for any specific awards/decorations individuals might have the actual award certificates, awards narratives, awards orders, as well as the ribbon/medal/(mini ribbon?).

I think that it is shameful for anyone BUT especially a Civil Air Patrol adult member to wear unearned military awards/ribbons or aviation/occupational on their CAP AF type uniform, and they deserve to have their membership terminated since this is a significant integrity issue and could have a negative public relations effect on the organization.

RM

I just checked with Satan and he asked me for some ice skates. I totally agree with you.

NIN

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 28, 2012, 12:30:15 AM

I'll send you the email address of the individual in question's commander, maybe you can make a better point. LOL.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.