Triangle thingy spottings

Started by RiverAux, May 16, 2010, 01:55:47 PM

A.Member

As a little ray of hope:

The latest edition of the "Volunteer" uses the official (and correct) CAP seal - both on the cover and on the inner Table of Contents.

:clap:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

FlyTiger77

Quote from: A.Member on August 16, 2010, 11:28:07 PM
As a little ray of hope:

The latest edition of the "Volunteer" uses the official (and correct) CAP seal - both on the cover and on the inner Table of Contents.

But, unfortunately, the Triangle Thingy (T2) does make an appearance on the bottom of page 36 on the advertisement for the Annual Conference & National Board.   :-[

(Apropos of nothing, this is my 100th post.)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

a2capt

Say..

Is there a session at the NB that we could submit this issue to?

JC004

Quote from: A.Member on August 16, 2010, 11:28:07 PM
As a little ray of hope:

That might be good.  Inconsistency is the core of this whole issue though.

Quote from: a2capt on August 17, 2010, 02:22:47 AM
Say..

Is there a session at the NB that we could submit this issue to?

No, but there is a suggestion box marked "Marketing Comments & Suggestions."  It is the box that makes a grinding sound when you put a paper in it.

a2capt

Quote from: JC004 on August 17, 2010, 10:33:39 PMNo, but there is a suggestion box marked "Marketing Comments & Suggestions."  It is the box that makes a grinding sound when you put a paper in it.
I wonder how funny it would be if a random picket sign appeared in the halls.. "Kill the Triangle-Thingy".. and some little calling cards get left on a table or two..
You know, those things you can get get free from Vista Print .. ;-)

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on August 12, 2010, 12:13:27 AM
Not so well.  You can't just randomly place whatever the heck logos all over the place. 

Clearly you can.

Quote from: JC004 on August 12, 2010, 01:11:02 AM
Why?  The logo is clearly UNIVERSALLY loved.  Look how many people have signatures that say "Save the Triangle Thingy" - not to mention how many people are defending it here!
What it is, is universally not noticed or cared enough about to take more than a passing interest.  Like most of the things the <100 really active people on this board "discuss", most of it is minutia that some members never even consider, let alone care about.

I agree it will likely disappear with the same fanfare it came in with - one only needs to look at those chest patches from the '70's that look like they were designed by a 12 year old who watched to mu Space:1999 to see the cycle of these things.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2010, 12:10:06 AM
Quote from: JC004 on August 12, 2010, 12:13:27 AM
Not so well.  You can't just randomly place whatever the heck logos all over the place. 

Clearly you can.

Stop that.  I am trying to convince them that the world will explode if they do it.  Then perhaps they will stop.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2010, 12:10:06 AM
Quote from: JC004 on August 12, 2010, 01:11:02 AM
Why?  The logo is clearly UNIVERSALLY loved.  Look how many people have signatures that say "Save the Triangle Thingy" - not to mention how many people are defending it here!
What it is, is universally not noticed or cared enough about to take more than a passing interest.  Like most of the things the <100 really active people on this board "discuss", most of it is minutia that some members never even consider, let alone care about.

I agree it will likely disappear with the same fanfare it came in with - one only needs to look at those chest patches from the '70's that look like they were designed by a 12 year old who watched to mu Space:1999 to see the cycle of these things.

That is true of many things here.  Interestingly, it doesn't get a fight here.  Barely anyone will stick up for the logo.  On the other hand, they will fight to the DEATH on uniforms and lots of other things.

I talk marketing a lot - even watching a movie (ask Kieloch).  I'm yet to find any members that I've talked to off CAPTalk who were like "I really like that logo!"  It seems to be disliked fairly universally, even for people who take little or no interest in our marketing. 

What I'd REALLY like to know is why this thing is being placed everywhere, remains unofficial, and yet there is no agenda item for approving it as an official CAP logo at the National Board meeting.  Perhaps they are too focused on things that are of less importance than the organization's marketing, image, and how we communicate our message to the general public. 

I am happy about the latest edition of VALUNTEER magazine, though.  (not sure why I had to add "valunteer" to the auto spell-check.  I should probably write to the people who developed it.)

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on August 18, 2010, 12:28:44 AMThat is true of many things here.  Interestingly, it doesn't get a fight here.  Barely anyone will stick up for the logo.  On the other hand, they will fight to the DEATH on uniforms and lots of other things.

Uniforms cost the members hard dollars, when they change something, sundown something, or muddy-up a specification that results in
having to unsew/sew or buy something, that get's people's attention.

Make me buy this thing?  Then I'll care. (Yeah, I know, we all "buy" this stuff, but you know what I mean.)  Replace the MAJCOM with this and people will start to care.  Enough to complain and impact change?  Probably not - we still have people wearing wing patches on their WHITES!?!

My guess is that this is the continued misguided idea that we need to be "less military looking" and more "stylish" in an effort to make us appear "with it" to younger potential members.  Those of us who "get" this kind of stuff understand that a consistent message and visible execution of our missions would mean a lot more to recruiting than whether we have a Facebook page, but KAY-SARAH.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

That may account for some of it, but a lot of folks spend a lot of time arguing about uniforms they say they don't even wear....

DakRadz

Quote from: RiverAux on August 18, 2010, 01:23:59 AM
That may account for some of it, but a lot of folks spend a lot of time arguing about uniforms they say they don't even wear....

I've seen much SM talk of outing my shoulderboards... But anyway.

My new squadron patch is Thingy-free, just so you know.

DakRadz

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.SealsEmblems.Web/Default.aspx

I have searched through this thread to ensure I didn't repeat, and so....

The Thingy is now listed as a commonly hated used symbol of the U.S. Civil Air Patrol.

We need to take action in numbers. These NHQ people don't realize a few emails amount to hundreds or even thousands of upset C.A.P. dues-paying members.

JC004

You cannot define it as a commonly used symbol just because:

• NHQ has been using it a lot regardless of its status as an unofficial symbol (then it disappears from the magazine cover again - huh?)
  • CAPTalk members have anti-Triangle Thingy banners commonly used throughout the forum

It is NOT a commonly used symbol because:

• The wings aren't using it (check out my analysis of this. When I did it, NONE of them were using it online)
  • It's not official
  • Whatever they do in the building in Alabama, it's pretty uncommon to see it in the field unless it's in a CAPTalk signature line or similar thing

Instead of putting it everywhere, making new copies of it, producing it in pointy medal, and generally adding more insanity to our current branding problem, why don't they just:

• Reduce the number of symbols used now
  • Define usage of symbols, colors, spacing, etc. like serious organizations do
  • Use the time devoted to creation/duplication of the Triangle Thingy to develop graphics for the field and put them online (Twitter avatars, business card templates, letterhead templates, subordinate unit web site graphics, etc.)

RiverAux

I think his point may have been that by putting it on the emblems/seals page for others to use NHQ has made it "official" in some sense of the word.

I don't think anyone here believes that that is enough...

DakRadz

Sir.

With all due respect, I said that the Thingy has been listed as a commonly used seal or emblem.
EDIT: This was incorrect. As a commonly used seal or emblem, it has been "made available." This supercedes my original post.

This in no way represents MY view of the Thingy, nor my assessment of its use.

On the top of the site which I linked for the members, the following is written.

Quote from: CAP Seals and EmblemsFor your convenience, theses commonly used seals and emblems have been made available for download.
Yes, it really says theses with an extra s. No, I did not embellish anything, with the exception of "emphasis mine."

Now, if you were addressing that towards the NHQ folks (considering you referenced them separately I doubt this is the case), then we can move on in our distaste and disgust with this emblem.

JC004

I was referencing their action, not your post.

Quote from: DakRadz on August 22, 2010, 12:23:55 AM
Quote from: CAP Seals and EmblemsFor your convenience, theses commonly used seals and emblems have been made available for download.
Yes, it really says theses with an extra s. No, I did not embellish anything, with the exception of "emphasis mine."

Also, awesome.  I have e-mailed about mistakes like spelingz on the web sites but they never seemed to do any good.

Quote from: RiverAux on August 22, 2010, 12:17:08 AM
I think his point may have been that by putting it on the emblems/seals page for others to use NHQ has made it "official" in some sense of the word.

Still missing...
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R900_002_8A8354F4FD7C3.pdf

DakRadz

Anyone think Adam Savage has an NHQ fan club?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
:D

Quote from: RiverAux on August 22, 2010, 12:17:08 AM

Not really- JC clarified he was aiming towards NHQ with his post (whew!), and I quoted the line I was referencing (written by NHQ), so that's cleared up.
Quote from: JC004 on August 22, 2010, 12:48:24 AM
Still missing...
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R900_002_8A8354F4FD7C3.pdf
Glad it is- we can fight it without restraint so long as it's MIA, and NHQ has no defense other than "well we run the whole shebang..." >:D

JC004

heh.  You should hear some of the ideas people have had for raising awareness and pressing the issue (kind of like the cards at the NB meeting idea above - I do like that one).  Some were quite hilarious.  I'll leave it up to the others to execute them, though - particularly anything related to the NB meeting since it's 3,000 miles from me.

One of the non-hilarious, but nonetheless good ideas that I've heard was an open letter concerning our branding in general and asking the National Board to take a serious look/effort without sending it to a committee to kill, wrap in red tape, create additional membership burdens, or generally spend all eternity marking time on the issue.  As this goes unfixed, the cost will increase and the speed at which it can be repaired will drag out.

DakRadz

https://twitter.com/CivilAirPatrol

I don't know if this is official or not, but they worship NHQ and must be outed.

>:D I would certainly litter Kill The Triangle-Thingy business cards throughout the NB meeting spaces.... But I'm 2000 miles away and I can't visit Dad while school's in :'( (i.e. he lives in CA)

EDIT: The other unofficial Twitter page has it too! >:(
https://twitter.com/CAP_USAF_AUX

JC004

It could certainly use some adjustments to make the images for twitter instead of just "PASTE, OK - TWITTER DONE."  But what do I know?  I only haz 9 times as many followers and am on almost 500 lists.   >:D ;D