Triangle thingy spottings

Started by RiverAux, May 16, 2010, 01:55:47 PM

JC004

SarDragon has it. Of course I know what the Triangle Thingy is. I popularized its name. :-)

arajca

Oops. You're right - it is small.

JC004

It's the Vanguard one that doesn't match the unofficial official one.

Eagle400

You know, this new triangle crap is so funny it's not funny. 

Great, monumental leaps and bounds are being made by CAP(!)

... but a few folks upstairs are still getting hung up on stupid junk like this.   :-\ 

Think about it: there is an incredible, never-before-seen force of momentum propeling Civil Air Patrol forward (and like never before)...

But a few colonels are still more intently focused on a little piece of metal, adorned with small bits of colored enamel and a tiny pin on the other side. 

(But that's okay... this huge tree is upside down, and the dead wood is falling off like never before.)  Finally!   

a2capt

So much for affixing things in the uniform manual .. unless.. it's in there now. ;-)

arajca

Quote from: arajca on June 07, 2010, 04:00:25 PM
Just for giggles and snits I submitted the following to the KnowledgeBase:

What are the official branding elements used by Civil Air Patrol? It seems like we get a new logo every couple of months. CAPR 900-2 only lists the CAP Seal, CAP Emblem, and CAP version of the new AF logo, and not the majcom patch, the triangle thing that appeared on on the cover of the Volunteer, or any of the other various logos that have appeared and disappeared.

I'll post whatever response I get.
From the KB Manager:
QuoteSee authorized CAP Seals/Emblems under CAP e-services.

Please see knowledgebase answer(s) below for additional details.

Answer Title: Use of the CAP name and seal on official correspondence
Answer Link: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=514

My reply:

That does NOT answer my question. According to reg, only the seal and emblem are authorized. Why does NHQ insist upon using unauthorized logos which confuse the members, the public, and our customers? Is there a cohesive branding plan in place for CAP or is subject to whims of anyone at NHQ with access to graphics software?

OK, so it's a little direct. Sometimes you need a hammer.

davidsinn

Quote from: arajca on June 07, 2010, 07:38:53 PM

What are the official branding elements used by Civil Air Patrol? It seems like we get a new logo every couple of months. CAPR 900-2 only lists the CAP Seal, CAP Emblem, and CAP version of the new AF logo, and not the majcom patch, the triangle thing that appeared on on the cover of the Volunteer, or any of the other various logos that have appeared and disappeared.

From the KB Manager:

Answer Link: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=514

My reply:

That does NOT answer my question. According to reg, only the seal and emblem are authorized. Why does NHQ insist upon using unauthorized logos which confuse the members, the public, and our customers? Is there a cohesive branding plan in place for CAP or is subject to whims of anyone at NHQ with access to graphics software?

I think we need a bigger hammer.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

vmstan

I wrote a petition a couple weeks ago, but never said anything, what are thoughts on passing it around and then sending it up?

http://www.petitiononline.com/nocaptri/petition.html

QuoteAs members of the Civil Air Patrol, the United States Air Force Auxiliary, we request that the national headquarters immediately discontinue the use of the "triangle logo" that has recently gained prominence. The "triangle logo" is defined as the image of the red CAP prop, with a light gray/purple triangle behind it with the words CIVIL, AIR, and PATROL on each side of the triangle.

We feel that this branding does not properly reflect our organization as professional and military oriented, nor does it have any deep history in our organization. The image is also typically shown distorted and hard to read, which also contributes to its unprofessional appearance.

There are far superior images available for use by CAP, including the command patch, official seal, and traditional civil defense inspired round logo. All three of these images connect us to our past and reflect our unique relationship with the United States Air Force. We further encourage the national organization to limit itself to utilizing these three basic images when advertising the Civil Air Patrol as a national program.

Immediately discontinuing the use of this logo would be of minimal cost to the organization and would be of benefit to the entire program.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

arajca

Quote from: arajca on June 07, 2010, 07:38:53 PM

From the KB Manager:

My reply:

Latest Response:
QuoteResponse (KB Manager) - 06/07/2010 01:21 PM
Please contact CAP Public Affairs to discuss this issue.
Toll free 877-227-9142  Ext 250  or Commercial 334 953-7748  Ext 250

I'll email them next.

A.Member

Quote from: arajca on June 07, 2010, 08:32:14 PM
Latest Response:
QuoteResponse (KB Manager) - 06/07/2010 01:21 PM
Please contact CAP Public Affairs to discuss this issue.
Toll free 877-227-9142  Ext 250  or Commercial 334 953-7748  Ext 250

I'll email them next.
As should we all.  Or simply send them a link to this thread. 

Well done!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

Oh, I think we can guarantee that NHQ public affairs keeps a close eye on CAPTalk given how quickly they've changed some things in the past once errors were pointed out here. 

JC004

River is right. I feel like the quick backtracking on the CAP Transformers slogan probably had a lot to do with its reception on CAPTalk and possibly the potential legal concerns of that particular slogan.

However, unlike CAP Transformers, some people liked and defended that here. That does not appear to be happening with the Triangle Thingy. People have been talking about this logo (not nicely and quite a lot) well before I rehashed the style guide topic. Style guides also have been talked about quite a lot here and off the forum. The issue is well-known on the ground and I've heard about it all over.

I've even known cadets to play games at activities, guessing/betting on what van graphics/decals will show up at the activity. One member was even doing a photo collage at one activity.

vento

JC004

Those look dangerous.  They should probably not be given to cadets.   >:(

I love how not even this logo is consistent with other uses of it.  Seriously?!

a2capt

They look more disgusting than dangerous. I can't begin to convey how awful that looks on that piece.

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: davidsinn on June 07, 2010, 10:19:08 AM
Quote from: JC004 on June 07, 2010, 04:30:26 AM
Ack.  The CAC has it too.

http://cac.cap.gov/

In addition to that, they're making their own seals:

I think we're teaching them wrong about branding.   :'(

I thought that was created by a cadet with a major ego problem and isn't official in anyway shape or form?

If there was any question, look carefully at the bottom wing thingy - two diamonds because Chairman King is not a Col, only a LT Col.  Therefore only two diamonds as the "body" of the winged creature.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

Eclipse

I recently saw it embroidered on golf shirts worn by auditors from NHQ Finance.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on July 23, 2010, 11:37:28 PM
I recently saw it on embroidered on golf shirts worn by auditors from NHQ Finance.

Maybe giving everyone a valid reason for distaste towards auditors? >:D

Patterson

If they can not decide on one simple design, how the heck are we supposed to believe they know what is best for CAP.  Fire them all!!

Patterson

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 23, 2010, 11:32:24 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on June 07, 2010, 10:19:08 AM
Quote from: JC004 on June 07, 2010, 04:30:26 AM
Ack.  The CAC has it too.

http://cac.cap.gov/

In addition to that, they're making their own seals:

I think we're teaching them wrong about branding.   :'(

I thought that was created by a cadet with a major ego problem and isn't official in anyway shape or form?

If there was any question, look carefully at the bottom wing thingy - two diamonds because Chairman King is not a Col, only a LT Col.  Therefore only two diamonds as the "body" of the winged creature.

I met this young Gentleman.  He is very intent on doing the best he can for CAP.  However, we need to stop letting members invent symbols and designs and logos for things that do NOT EXIST!!!!