Triangle thingy spottings

Started by RiverAux, May 16, 2010, 01:55:47 PM

JC004

They're not cursive, just weird.

Krapenhoeffer

Quote from: Daniel L on May 28, 2010, 07:31:10 AM
Can we kill the DDR logo too?

OH! I have an idea for the replacement!

Imagine it: A shield, with a bunch of drug users running in horror from a CAP GA-8 shooting lightning at each of them, and in the scroll, it read, "DDR - USAF AUXILIARY" It would be epic. And would scare a lot of dumb high schoolers from doing drugs, lest the airplane attack them.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

vento

You know...the other day, I saw a commercial on TV.  Even without the company's logo being visible until the end, I knew within maybe 2 seconds what company it was purely because of the color, even before the narration started!  Now THAT'S branding.  Van wraps are not.

POP QUIZ: I am a company logo.  I am red with white cursive letters.  What company am I?
the good ol Coca Cola... But NHQ thinks "Just do it!" without thinking...   :(

JC004

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on May 31, 2010, 05:38:10 AM

Imagine it: A shield, with a bunch of drug users running in horror from a CAP GA-8 shooting lightning at each of them, and in the scroll, it read, "DDR - USAF AUXILIARY" It would be epic. And would scare a lot of dumb high schoolers from doing drugs, lest the airplane attack them.

Sure - why not.  Either the current logo or your new one would be better than the weird "working for a drug free universe" thing.  I mean, let's focus on Earth first...

Quote from: vento on May 31, 2010, 05:53:49 AM

You know...the other day, I saw a commercial on TV.  Even without the company's logo being visible until the end, I knew within maybe 2 seconds what company it was purely because of the color, even before the narration started!  Now THAT'S branding.  Van wraps are not.

POP QUIZ: I am a company logo.  I am red with white cursive letters.  What company am I?
the good ol Coca Cola... But NHQ thinks "Just do it!" without thinking...   :(

DING DING DING

vmstan

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on May 31, 2010, 05:38:10 AM

I'd buy that!
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

jimmydeanno

Certificates of Appreciation.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

a2capt

You know what makes me puke about that van?

The position of the 182 in flight. Makes it look like a kiddie toy, or flying around goofing off because of the way that graphic somewhat implies there is a smoke/flight trail behind it.

alamrcn

Quote from: John McClainVanguard can put the CAP logo on almost any clothing item in the catalog.

So, is the tri-angle thingy "the CAP logo" now? WTF?!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JC004

Ack.  The CAC has it too.

http://cac.cap.gov/

In addition to that, they're making their own seals:

I think we're teaching them wrong about branding.   :'(

O-Rex

Perhaps I've become a conspiracy theorist, but the triangle-thingy is only one facet of what I see as a move from the top to 'de-militarize' CAP.

JC004

But the perfectly good (official) triangles that we already have existed before we were the Air Force Auxiliary (well, before the Air Force existed too).  Regardless, de-militarizing our brand isn't going to help any. 

We've got to select a whole image before we go off rebranding things.  That's how it's done.

davidsinn

Quote from: JC004 on June 07, 2010, 04:30:26 AM
Ack.  The CAC has it too.

http://cac.cap.gov/

In addition to that, they're making their own seals:

I think we're teaching them wrong about branding.   :'(

I thought that was created by a cadet with a major ego problem and isn't official in anyway shape or form?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

For not being official, I've seen it on many things. Thats the problem with stuff like that, absent of an official guide of what should be being used.

vmstan

Quote from: davidsinn on June 07, 2010, 10:19:08 AM
I thought that was created by a cadet with a major ego problem and isn't official in anyway shape or form?

Future TP
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

arajca

Just for giggles and snits I submitted the following to the KnowledgeBase:

What are the official branding elements used by Civil Air Patrol? It seems like we get a new logo every couple of months. CAPR 900-2 only lists the CAP Seal, CAP Emblem, and CAP version of the new AF logo, and not the majcom patch, the triangle thing that appeared on on the cover of the Volunteer, or any of the other various logos that have appeared and disappeared.

I'll post whatever response I get.

JC004

Quote from: davidsinn on June 07, 2010, 10:19:08 AM

*shrug* I just keep seeing more symbols.  It makes my head spin.  Now they've got the triangle thingy, but I guess at least it's not on these seals that they made.

JC004

Opps.  Missed one.  Same page.  Another triangle thingy (tiny one):

arajca

Where? The triangle in the center of the CAP Seal is proper. The "Triangle Thingy" is the one some buffoon introduced last year and dumped on the cover of the Volunteer.

SarDragon

Look on the good General's left lapel!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret