Has CAP become an EMA?????

Started by flyguy06, August 02, 2009, 04:44:36 PM

Rotorhead

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 21, 2009, 03:02:42 AM
I am in an inner city squadron where most of our members are concerned about our youth and developing them into good productive citizens. I know what the program did  for me. And I believe in it.

Why not get them involved in one of our three primary missions, then? Emergency Services work gives cadets something specific to do.

Nothing sticks in the mind of a teenager more than the time he helped save a life, or protect property in a storm, or whatever.

I believe you are doing your cadets a disservice if you do not expose them to the ES mission. It would also do a lot more for retention and recruiting than drilling or doing AE classes all the time.

Most of the cadets I have ever met said taking part in the ES mission was the coolest part of being in CAP.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

flyguy06

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 22, 2009, 02:40:09 AM
I am in an inner city squadron where most of our members are concerned about our youth and developing them into good productive citizens. I know what the program did  for me. And I believe in it.

Why not get them involved in one of our three primary missions, then? Emergency Services work gives cadets something specific to do.

Nothing sticks in the mind of a teenager more than the time he helped save a life, or protect property in a storm, or whatever.

I believe you are doing your cadets a disservice if you do not expose them to the ES mission. It would also do a lot more for retention and recruiting than drilling or doing AE classes all the time.

Most of the cadets I have ever met said taking part in the ES mission was the coolest part of being in CAP.

We are involved in one of the primary missions of CAP. We have a Color Guard. We teach flying. i have asked the cadets about stating a ground team andnone of them were interested. I am a former GTL. I am currently a MO< and almost a MP. I dont disslike ES. you misunderstand. I work with CD. Heck, I want to fly the GA-8 someday

flyguy06

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 21, 2009, 03:40:17 AM
Well, guess you'll be saying goodbye to me to then.

I joined CAP when I was 15 years old and have been a financial member ever since. I am in an inner city squadron where most of our members are concerned about our youth and developing them into good productive citizens. I know what the program did  for me. And I believe in it.

CAP can still be that, and more.  Just because there are different avenues to choose from doesn't mean people have to run away.  Every squadron has its own personality, within limits.  I've known people who changed squadrons to find a better fit and it worked well for them.  Find what works for you, but discovering new things about CAP doesn't mean it has changed missions dramatically.

Edited to fix a typo.

This is true. I guess I have discovered something I hadnt seen before. To be honset. i dont like it. And so I thought maybe CAP isnt for me anymore. But I do like my cadets and I like my ES as well.

Rotorhead

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 23, 2009, 02:11:24 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on August 22, 2009, 02:40:09 AM

We are involved in one of the primary missions of CAP. We have a Color Guard. We teach flying. i have asked the cadets about stating a ground team andnone of them were interested. I am a former GTL. I am currently a MO< and almost a MP. I dont disslike ES. you misunderstand. I work with CD. Heck, I want to fly the GA-8 someday

Wow, cadets that don't want to do ES?

You know, units are not supposed to pick and choose which of the 3 primary missions they undertake; they are supposed to support ALL of them.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

flyguy06

My cadets arent outdoors people. They have clear set golas in life. Most (not all) of them already know they want to be pilots when they grow up.

I didnt choose to focu on anything. Its what the cadets want. We dont have the assets to do a ground team anyway. Who is going to go out to the field withthem? We have no DF equipment. We have no Squadron van. We barely have BDU's for all the cadets. They dont have any overnight camping gear. And basically they have no interest. How is that my fault? What we do have is pilots wiling to share our knowledge withthem. What we do have is a Army Captain willing to share D&C and color Guard stuff with them.

flyguy06

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 23, 2009, 11:59:57 PM
My cadets arent outdoors people. They have clear set golas in life. Most (not all) of them already know they want to be pilots when they grow up.

I didnt choose to focus on anything. Its what the cadets want. We dont have the assets to do a ground team anyway. Who is going to go out to the field withthem? We have no DF equipment. We have no Squadron van. We barely have BDU's for all the cadets. They dont have any overnight camping gear. And basically they have no interest. How is that my fault? What we do have is pilots wiling to share our knowledge with them. What we do have is a Army Captain willing to share D&C and color Guard stuff with them.

flyguy06

Ididnt mean for this to turn into a discussion of weather we should focus on ES or not. The point of the thread was to gage what others think about CAP turning into an EMA organization. The bulk members that visit captalk.net are ES people. So the replies have been sorted turned that way.

I was disgruntled and someone had mentioned Ishould quit CAP if I didnt like it. And for a minute it crossed my mind. But then I went to a meeting and realized that I am making a difference in the lives of young people.  And that is what is important.

My unit is a city unit. They are not the kinds of folks that go camping or rucking> can I do that? Heck yeah. been doing it for 20 years and getting paid for it.  But thats not the interests of my members. They would rather hang out at anairport and talk about flying then go to the field and I am ok with that.

brasda91

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 24, 2009, 12:07:47 AM
My unit is a city unit.

Fly,

I think that this may be where some of these members do not comprehend your view.  You live in the asphalt jungle.  Other members on here may live in the country and don't think "city" life.  This may be exactly why you don't have the ES equipment others of us have.  I don't agree with you not having a van.  Work on changing that.  A lot of times we relate ES to the "field".  Just remember, you can still have a military atmosphere in your unit and still contribute to the community.  If your Cadets want to do the flying stuff, great!  Run with it!  I would not try to push my Cadets to do things they are not interested in.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Rotorhead

Quote from: brasda91 on August 28, 2009, 09:50:10 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on August 24, 2009, 12:07:47 AM
My unit is a city unit.

Fly,

I think that this may be where some of these members do not comprehend your view.  You live in the asphalt jungle.  Other members on here may live in the country and don't think "city" life.  This may be exactly why you don't have the ES equipment others of us have.  I don't agree with you not having a van.  Work on changing that.  A lot of times we relate ES to the "field".  Just remember, you can still have a military atmosphere in your unit and still contribute to the community.  If your Cadets want to do the flying stuff, great!  Run with it!  I would not try to push my Cadets to do things they are not interested in.

I have only been a member of "city" units in my CAP career.  When we are tasked for a SAR or DR mission, we drive to the scene.

You don't need to live in  the "country" to do SAR. We drive a couple of hours to train.

This idea that we'd "push the cadets" is wrong. CAP has three primary missions, and ES is one of them. When people join, they need to understand that units are supposed to be supporting all three missions. If they don't like what CAP is about, then they shouldn't join.

Making CAP into a flying club is wrong, whether it's done by seniors or cadets.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

flyguy06

I hope this dioenst get me in any trouble but let me tell you about our "van" situation.

we requested one and was told that becaue we meet in a "high risk" neighborhood, the WWing wil not give us a van. we had one like 22 years ago and it was vandalised . Igues Wing hadnt forgotten about that.

Yes, I agree that we can do ES stuff as well. Again, you giys act like its me pushig the cadets to do something. Iam an Infatry officer. Ihave absolutely no problem going to the filed. The cadets have said they dont want to. So, lets get them FLM or UDF qualified. No problem.

Again, the point is like what Dillworht said,I and man of my senior members prefer to have a "military" atmosphere  and if the heads of CAP want to go in another direction that is their right to do so, just lt us know so we can make membership decision.

Ok, check this out. This is so going to contrasict my post. But Iwas invloved in a missionlast night and I LOVED IT. It made me feel like Iam doing something good in CAP. so there

Major Carrales

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 29, 2009, 01:49:03 AM
I hope this dioenst get me in any trouble but let me tell you about our "van" situation.

we requested one and was told that becaue we meet in a "high risk" neighborhood, the WWing wil not give us a van. we had one like 22 years ago and it was vandalised . Igues Wing hadnt forgotten about that.

Yes, I agree that we can do ES stuff as well. Again, you giys act like its me pushig the cadets to do something. Iam an Infatry officer. Ihave absolutely no problem going to the filed. The cadets have said they dont want to. So, lets get them FLM or UDF qualified. No problem.

Again, the point is like what Dillworht said,I and man of my senior members prefer to have a "military" atmosphere  and if the heads of CAP want to go in another direction that is their right to do so, just lt us know so we can make membership decision.

Ok, check this out. This is so going to contrasict my post. But Iwas invloved in a missionlast night and I LOVED IT. It made me feel like Iam doing something good in CAP. so there

You will find, my friend, that there is a certain amount of motivation and a bit of pride in accomplishing an ES mission.  I have long told you that such activities provide a type of motivation to some cadets that proves to develop within them a sort of "drive" that mere cadet programs do not.

I would suggest you approach cadet ES from the position I do, as an extracurricular one.  Find a small group of your cadets that wish to do it (force no one) and little by little develop them into your ES function.  Encourage all to participate and focus on those that do.  As an Infantry Officer you can bring valued insight.

Pitch in for the resources and "build" anything they won't send you.  You will find that if the cadets feel as if they are part of the building process they will really back it.

As for a military atmosphere, remember what I have been saying on here for a while...ALL CAP IS LOCAL.  You develop the culture of your unit.  Work within the regs and create what you want.  Newbies will just have to conform to your established culture or find elsewhere to do their "thing."

As for contradicting your previous post...all people reserve the right to redefine their thoughts and beliefs.  In acknowledging what you have you have shown a type of character that is lost in our times.  These days many people simply lack the ability and desire "fess up" to their changing positions and sort of "sneak" away from one position and maintain they believed the new position all along.

In demonstrating you have had a change of position, you accept the fact that you maintain strong convictions not easily changed.   
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flyguy06

Thanks Major, and you are right.  ;D

flyguy06

Actually though, I didnt really "change" my position. I have never said I didnt like ES. When I was a cadet I was a GTM. As a younger Senior member, I was a GTL beforee al this SQTR stiff came about. So I have had my share of CAP field time. Never said I didnt like it. I did enjoy it. I just dont think its the primary function for cadest or the number one mission of CAP.

I want a CAP that has military customs in it. After reading the National Board minutes apparently the USAF wants that as well

JayT

Can someone please tell me what exactly a "EMA" is? I work as a full time paid AEMT, and I have never ever heard this term outside of CAPTalk.

Is this some new NIMS buzzword that doesn't really mean anything in the real world?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JThemann on September 02, 2009, 03:31:35 PM
Can someone please tell me what exactly a "EMA" is? I work as a full time paid AEMT, and I have never ever heard this term outside of CAPTalk.

Is this some new NIMS buzzword that doesn't really mean anything in the real world?

Emergency Management Agency

Here's an example: http://www.yorkcountyme.gov/contentDetail.aspx?cityTopic=774&CityContentID=5437&expand=1
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rotorhead

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 01, 2009, 05:36:14 AM
Actually though, I didnt really "change" my position. I have never said I didnt like ES. When I was a cadet I was a GTM. As a younger Senior member, I was a GTL beforee al this SQTR stiff came about. So I have had my share of CAP field time. Never said I didnt like it. I did enjoy it. I just dont think its the primary function for cadest or the number one mission of CAP.

I want a CAP that has military customs in it. After reading the National Board minutes apparently the USAF wants that as well
Doing ES does not keep you from also observing military C&Cs.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

heliodoc

Not a NIMS buzzword

Been around awhile replacing State, County, or local Civil Defense offices of the 1940's thru 1973 when Office of Civil Defense was handed off from the US Army to FEMA.

JayT

So how is it anyone can confuse a EMC with what CAP does?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

heliodoc

JT

Don't know........terminology I would suppose.  But remember CAP supports the EMA's when requested, they are NOT and EMA.  An EMA is a far ranging agency that works with communities to organize resources through all guv agencies and volunteer organizations during time of disaster.

Some communities vets service reps are dual hatted as emergency managers.  Many communities across the US have finally found out the valuable service the EMA's do AFTER 9/11.  For lack of better words, a rebirth of the positions AND some overgrowth of DHS and other agencies requiring training for future disasters.  CAP as well as volunteers across the nation had a hard time wrapping their heads around the NIMS and ICS in its earlier years and some STILL have a hard time with it.   Imagine the emergency manager who has to deal with all of the agencies and training.

So again CAP supports the EMA's... they are NOT an EMA

Eclipse

Quote from: JThemann on September 02, 2009, 03:43:47 PM
So how is it anyone can confuse a EMC with what CAP does?

EMC?

I don't think anyone is confusing anything - CAP works with and for EMA's all over the country.  I sit on two different EMA boards and participate in training and offer resources when needed.

Its been my experience that the use of EMA's tends to increase in inverse proportion to the size of the city because EMA's pool resources. 

"That Others May Zoom"