Main Menu

Things to do ?

Started by Daniel, May 29, 2009, 07:29:31 PM

Daniel

I'm done testing for atleast 40 or days and while others in my squadron are testing what could I be doing?

I asked the commander he said "I don't know."
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

jimmydeanno

You could start doing the requirements for the 101 card...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Daniel

can cadets take CAP Test 116  online?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Flying Pig

What do you mean by testing?  For your achievements?

If you get on the cap.gov site there are a lot of things if your looking to study.  Im not sure how old you are, but on the FEMA site, there is a course called "Leadership and Influence".  Its pretty good.  I dont know what level you are in CAP.  Since jimmy suggested your 101 card, Im assuming your a newer cadet.  Or you could just keep studying ahead for your other ranks.

Daniel

Well i wanted to be trained in communications but the commander said that he doubts national would give me the test as I am a cadet
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Flying Pig

I dont know, when I was a cadet, there were several cadets that had the Comm badge.  I think Comm is one that you can do as a cadet.  You can train towards Grond Team and get your badge.  If you Commander isnt sure, you should have a Group Comm officer that could easily answer if you can or not.  If your commander doesnt know, ask him if you can have permission to call the group comm officer directly.  I have never had an issue with a cadet wanting to take the reigns on their own development as long as they keep me in the loop.

Daniel

I have my 101 card already.

I would like some defense that cadets can be in communications
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Flying Pig

Your answer will be in the regs.  Down load the Specialty Track guide which will give you a reference to all of the places you need to look to find your answers.

Daniel

Can cadets have a specialty track?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

DBlair

Quote from: Daniel L on May 29, 2009, 07:55:42 PM
I have my 101 card already.

I would like some defense that cadets can be in communications

Do you have your BCUT/ACUT yet?

Ok, you want proof that Cadets can get involved? I'll give a bit about what I did as a Cadet...

- Wing Staff (ADY) as Cadet Assistant to Wing Director of Communications (...I even had a Wing Staff Call Sign as a Cadet)
- Wing ROP (back when it was called that) Instructor & Evaluator (one of only a few in the Wing, and the only Cadet)
- Net Control Station for most of the Wing VHF nets run during that time.
- Wing Emergency Services Academy, Communications Instructor
- Squadron Cadet Communications Officer
- Basic Communications Badge
- ES Qualification: Mission Radio Operator
- ES Qualification: Comm Unit Director (now known as Comm Unit Leader)... served countless missions in these ES capacities.

Trust me, Cadets can get involved with Comm. It is one of the areas where Cadets are permitted to get involved in a much more active way. With some other specialties, there are restrictions and so forth regarding Cadet participation, but Comm has always (as long as I've known) been a golden opportunity for Cadets to get more involved. Thus, to answer your question- Yes, Cadets are allowed to get involved with Comm. If this is an area that interests you, then go for it!

Quote from: Daniel L on May 29, 2009, 08:06:25 PM
Can cadets have a specialty track?

You don't have a specialty track until you become a SM. That being said, Comm is one of the areas that I believe do transfer over when you become a SM (Basic Badge = Tech Rating, Senior Badge = Senior Rating, Master Badge = Master Rating), pending completion of certain Senior program requirements. Not all of the specialties transfer this way, so its a nice bonus to be able to have a bit of a fast track in SM specialty ratings because of what you did as a Cadet.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Daniel

Can you link me to BCUT/ACUT resources please  :D
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

arajca

B/CUT and A/CUT are classes you need to take to get a Radio Operator's Authorization card. You need to be a C/A1C before you can get an ROA card.

I STRONGLY recommend studying your leadership and AE texts.

Cadets do not have specialty tracks, but can earn a Technician rating in Emergency Services, and Technician, Senior, and Master ratings in Communications. and can earn the associated badges. 

ßτε

Quote from: arajca on May 29, 2009, 10:25:41 PM
B/CUT and A/CUT are classes you need to take to get a Radio Operator's Authorization card. You need to be a C/A1C before you can get an ROA card.

Please cite a regulation that states that a cadet needs to be a C/A1C.

Daniel

Quote from: arajca on May 29, 2009, 10:25:41 PM

I STRONGLY recommend studying your leadership and AE texts.

Cadets do not have specialty tracks, but can earn a Technician rating in Emergency Services, and Technician, Senior, and Master ratings in Communications. and can earn the associated badges.

I have already passed all the tests I can take dealing with achievements for forty days!
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

BrandonKea

You do not need to be a C/A1C for your BCUT or ACUT.

Cadets may earn the Comm Badge. You are not "enrolled" in the specialty track, but you do have to complete everything in the specialty track, with the exception of things only Seniors can do. There is an answer in the knowledgebase regarding this. I'd suggest you try poking around there for some answers....
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

DC

Are you the only cadet in your squadron that is not testing on testing night?

In my squadron the usually a cadet staff member who is not testing will take the cadets also not testing (usually only about 1/3 - 1/2 of the cadets are testing on a given month) and lead them through drill or teach a class...

Daniel

Quote from: DC on May 29, 2009, 11:59:30 PM

In my squadron the usually a cadet staff member who is not testing will take the cadets also not testing (usually only about 1/3 - 1/2 of the cadets are testing on a given month) and lead them through drill or teach a class...

Almost every time we meet is testing night we combine all of it into one two hour session a week.

So yea every thursday for TWO months im going to be twiddling my thumbs.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

DBlair

Quote from: Daniel L on May 30, 2009, 01:26:47 AM
Quote from: DC on May 29, 2009, 11:59:30 PM

Almost every time we meet is testing night we combine all of it into one two hour session a week.

So yea every thursday for TWO months im going to be twiddling my thumbs.

Whoa... did I read this correctly? Your unit has testing every week??? Testing is supposed to be one time per month, with the rest of the month filled with other classes and activities- to do only testing without the rest of the program is to do a disservice to the program.

Other than testing, what other things does your unit do during meeting nights?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BrandonKea

Quote from: DBlair on May 30, 2009, 03:39:32 PM
...Testing is supposed to be one time per month...

Testing will be provided only at least once per month (CAPR 52-16 Ch 2-2 b.(2)), not ONLY once per month...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

DC

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 31, 2009, 12:16:47 AM
Quote from: DBlair on May 30, 2009, 03:39:32 PM
...Testing is supposed to be one time per month...

Testing will be provided only at least once per month (CAPR 52-16 Ch 2-2 b.(2)), not ONLY once per month...
Sure, but is there a good reason to hold it more than once per month? Leaving the JROTC thing aside, cadets must wait 60 days (two months, + or - a few days) between achievements. For nearly all achievements cadets must take and pass two tests. If testing is offered once per month, then ideally they will receive two opportunities to test within their minimum TIG envelope, thus giving them plenty of time to study, prepare, and pass both tests. If you offer testing every week your cadets are going to quickly run out of tests to take, so why not use that time for something that will be more valuable to your cadets? This also simplifies your logistics, you don't have to haul out the testing materials, grade tests, update files, and deprive your cadets of whatever else is going on..

BrandonKea

Our squadron tests every other week. This doesn't count PT testing, which occurs once a month. Cadets wishing to test must sign the testing sign up before opening formation so the testing officer has time to get tests out, usually takes about 2 minutes for him to do that. Testing occurs side by side with other activities, so when the cadet finishes their test, they resume the class/activity/what have you. It all works out pretty nicely...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

DC

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 31, 2009, 12:55:18 AM
Our squadron tests every other week. This doesn't count PT testing, which occurs once a month. Cadets wishing to test must sign the testing sign up before opening formation so the testing officer has time to get tests out, usually takes about 2 minutes for him to do that. Testing occurs side by side with other activities, so when the cadet finishes their test, they resume the class/activity/what have you. It all works out pretty nicely...
I have no standing to say what will or won't work in your squadron, but, what would your cadets be losing if you held written testing only once per month? That is, other than time spent away from all the interesting AE, Leadership and ES classes...

BrandonKea

Quote from: DC on May 31, 2009, 01:19:33 AM
Quote from: BrandonKea on May 31, 2009, 12:55:18 AM
I have no standing to say what will or won't work in your squadron, but, what would your cadets be losing if you held written testing only once per month? That is, other than time spent away from all the interesting AE, Leadership and ES classes...

lol, I don't have standing to answer that either, I don't administer Cadet Programs in my squadron, I'm simply relaying what we do.  :)

I'm not sure what they'd lose either, other than a second opportunity to test per month. Not every cadet can make every meeting. Again, it's not my AOC, but I would favor testing twice a month.

Now, testing EVERY week... that's a bit much, but again, I don't know what this Cadet's squadron is set up like.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP