Main Menu

The Iowa Experiement.

Started by Eclipse, March 28, 2009, 08:47:26 PM

Eclipse

So how are things today?  Anyone comfortable giving us an idea of how things are going there?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I had thought the key part -- monthly wing weekend meetings, had been cancelled. 

Membership numbers declined from 390 in 2006 to 346 in 2007 to 338 in 2008.  They had the 6th worst membership trends over that period of all Wings. 

sardak

If you adjust for changes in state population during the same period (06-08), there are eight wings with membership drops worse than Iowa in terms of % dropped. (PR, AZ, WY, NE, UT, FL, ID, NatCap).

Looking at CAP members per 10,000 residents of a state though, only Illinois and California have lower numbers. (IA-1.13, IL-0.98, CA-0.85) California has 12x the population and Illinois 4x.

National Capitol had the worst adjusted drop 34%, but in 2008 had the second highest membership per 10,000 residents, 6.98. Alaska was first at a whopping 16.12.

Population figures for 2006 through 2008 came from US Census Bureau projections and CAP membership came from the Reports to Congress.

Mike

JohnKachenmeister

An initial drop in membership was expected, as "Good Old Boy" clubs fell into roadside ditches along the route of the March To Progress.
Another former CAP officer

Gunner C

That makes sense.  If you get rid of the chaff, there will be more wheat per bag.  As far as Natcap goes, the actual number of DC residents is probably a handful only.  I'm not even sure if there are any actual units in the district.

sparks

The Iowa experiment relied heavily on a steady stream of state funding. That dried up last year with budget cuts and won't be coming back soon for the same reason. No outside money means luxuries such as monthly mandated but funded training at one location is no longer feasible. It's back to business as usual, self funded taring. I understand even the Pennsylvania wing took a big state funding hit, something like 50% or more. I suspect this is common given how tight state budgets have become.

Concerning membership reductions, I wonder how much impact the mandated ICS courses have had?  I can say that it have really reduced available mission staff personnel. The infighting at NHQ hasn't helped either

JAFO78

A lot changes when the money is gone. I feel the worse is yet to come. :(
JAFO

heliodoc

Money will probably get tighter and already  where I am at some of us have to weigh work against CAP commitments and

I can't say blaming the ICS "debacle" is entirely true.  CAP was given a deadline for doing those and both at the National level and unit level, it was put off.  They were given the "marching order" approx 2003-2004 with the rest of the ES world to include other volunteers and paid professionals.  There was belly aching with those groups, also BUT many managed to get it done well before CAP... My job in my former life was to track this.  CAP in the last six month, finally, made a big deal of this.  Tough, if you want the big DHS assignments, then get the thing done.  IT really wasn't that difficult.  Bescause so many people are parked at a laptop or a screen, there really was no excuse, as many of the CAPers are ready to tell people here.

I watched a couple of squadrons scramble at this.  It really was no more than taking the Yeager Aerospace exam.

If ICS isn't done....well  CAP can't participate.  So if that is the indicator.....

RiverAux

Yes, some drop in senior membership was apparently expected under a "quality, not quantity" philosophy, but from what I recall being posted here while it was going on, it wasn't people storming out because of new training requirements, but because of how the whole program was being implemented (forcing senior officers out of squadrons onto wing staff, not allowing local training, etc.).  It was supposedly driving out experienced seniors not people unwilling to train. 

heliodoc

How does CAP "force" folks out of squadrons to Wing Staff

Still thought this was a volunteer organization???

OH Wait a minute, somebody urinate in someones Wheaties???

Seems to be the case in ALOT of CAP

sparks

Yes, there were other detail problems as you noted, reassignment of senior members without their permission, consolidated training programs at one location that limited participation, membership application approval at wing etc. Some good ideas some bad but without money it couldn't have been sustained anyway. 

isuhawkeye

If you would like specifics feel free to e-mail me directly

CadetProgramGuy

I agree, email isuhawkeye for details.

nevertheless,  The 'experiemnt' is gone and over with.

mmouw

I would recommend checking with "active" members of Iowa Wing first!! We have all worked hard to pick up the pieces and move forward. Having transferred in to Iowa, my home state, from another Wing, things were handed over to the new command staff with many "opportunities". We are still striving to overcome all of these but are making progress.

Iowa Wing performed admirably last year during all of the flooding. Our membership is lower, but it is not stalled. There are two new squadrons charted with in the last two years. We are committed to continue the necessary training required to be there when the state calls on us.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

isuhawkeye

agreed,  If there are active wing members still on this thread.  please communicate directly with them