2009 Winter National Board

Started by Angus, February 27, 2009, 01:52:08 PM

RiverAux

11.  CAP Member Standardized Discipline Program
Postponed indefinetely, since they're already working on a draft reg on adverse membership actions.

12.  AE Officer of the Year –Name Change.
Ammended to have a "competition" to decide who the award would be named after.  (Hmm, was this done for all the other awards we renamed?)

Recessed for today. 

By the way, here is the agenda: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/NB_2009_Feb_Agenda_BD2E1427664DC.pdf

notaNCO forever

swamprat86

Thanks for all your updates.  Kept my mind off of work for a while.   ;)

Al Sayre

Quote from: RiverAux on February 27, 2009, 09:48:14 PM
10.  Aircraft/Vehicle movement.  Tabled for later this meeting.  Probably will be removing references to "member".  Don't want to get into a member travel approval system. 

This can be a big problem for those of us who live adjacent to a different region.  I can literally walk out the front door of my office and hit Southwest region with a rock if I use a slingshot...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

swamprat86

I know what you mean.  I can be in another region in the same time it takes me to get to the nearest unit in my region.

ande.boyer

Quote from: RiverAux on February 27, 2009, 09:48:14 PM
10.  Aircraft/Vehicle movement.  Tabled for later this meeting.  Probably will be removing references to "member".  Don't want to get into a member travel approval system. 

Members taking corporate assets out of state so that they're not available for use in an emergency is a concern, yes. However, as the gentleman from NH stated, making a blanket rule that one needs approval before crossing a state line regardless of how long one will be over that state line can cause more problems than it fixes.

Al Sayre

We've got quite a few members in our wing who live in different states/regions right up on the border that go back and forth all the time.  I'm pretty sure the Region and Wing Commanders aren't going to want twenty phone calls every time a meeting breaks up and the folks head home across the border.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ande.boyer

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 27, 2009, 10:10:41 PM
We've got quite a few members in our wing who live in different states/regions right up on the border that go back and forth all the time.  I'm pretty sure the Region and Wing Commanders aren't going to want twenty phone calls every time a meeting breaks up and the folks head home across the border.

Yes, that would be pretty silly.  But, it was my understanding that the original motion was to add language such that a van couldn't be taken out of the wing w/o anyone knowing about it.  (Approval for aircraft is required per 60-1 but nothing in the regs about ground vehicles, right?) During the discussion period, there was talk of getting approval for individual members to leave the state but I'm pretty sure the original motion was only in regard to vehicles specifically ground vehicles.....I could have missed something though of course.

Eclipse

Friday summary -

Agenda: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/NB_2009_Feb_Agenda_BD2E1427664DC.pdf

Update:
- Consolidated maintenance is working well even though members think it is a pain in the butt.
- ACE program kids are not cadets, the program is for Character Development.
- NHQ Renovation; relocation complete, renovation will take 20 months (optimistically) and cost $5 million.

Mr. Tom Jones, AF Sec. office briefing

Now we will have a AF Col. basically full-time on CAP issues at the Sec. of AF office.  1st AF will have 3 CAP-focused AF positions.  The A3O department (homeland security) had 6 positions for CAP stuff, but most of them really spent most of their time on other stuff.  Restructuring that.

VSAF.  Center for Naval Analysis did a study of 1st year test program at 3 AFBs.  Had logistical problems (base access, CAC cards/token cards for computer use).  Hard to use volunteers during normal working hours.  Need to look at non-traditional times when vols are available.  Need to look at skills vols can bring to the table.  Bringing cadet in to hand out towels isn't a good use of CAP time, but a CAP IT expert might be something the AF could use.  AF retirees might be able to help with what they know from their career.   Jobs need to be something that the volunteers feel are important.  Need to look at how recruit volunteers.

Working on getting Pentagon badges for Courter and a few other high level CAP people.  Used to do it in the 90s apparently.

Courter invited to AF Reserves Policy Board Meeting.  Evidently have slots for 2 non-voting members of this board from CAP.

Want to have CAP brief various AF committees and councils on what we do.

Will get some more senior AF people to speak with CAP cadet Civil Leadership Academy.

Thinks need a better and more consistent relationship overall between CAP and the National Guard in all states.  Will speak with NG leader to encourage TAGs to have someone on their staff as a CAP contact so that we work closer with them.  For example, maybe have CAP help in the National Guard Youth Challenge program.  Maybe encourage academy graduates to move into CAP afterward.

Maybe look for partnerships with the AF Reserve.  No specifics.

Wants to see CAP included when people list the components of the Air Force.  (Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Auxiliary).  Next time Mr. Jones orders his personal coin, he will have them make it so that CAP is listed with the other 3 components.

Courter briefing (what I saw of it)
o flights up 20%
ARCHER training up 300%
NESA attendance up 41%
Save 91 last year
CAP flights are 80% of 1st AF daily flights
50% of AFJROTC o-rides were from CAP.
AE membership up 44% to 1500
ACE Program has 7000 students in 8-5, 1800 students in 6-8.
55639 total CAP members
Expect to get 19 aircraft and 36 vehicles this year.

Consent agenda items approved:

3a. DA - Approval of the March 2008 National Board Minutes
3b. DP - Protecting Personally Identifiable Information.  Amended to strike "like CAP tests" as being a little too vague given all the rules specific to test control.
3c approved.  SET.  With some amendments, but we lost sound so didn't get all of them.
3d. DO - Removal of CAPR 60-11
3e. HC - Change of Designation for the CAP Chaplain Service
3f. ED - Professional Military Education Equivalency Time Limit
4.  Test Control Officers approved as proposed.
5.  Confidentiality of Internet Email - Tabled for further discussion by staff.  Need better definitions of "confidential", etc. -   Review of Membership Waivers for Unfavorable Criminal History Information.
Withdrawn.  Need to re-work proposal, include way to request waivers, more transparent process.
7.  Requirement for Criminal Background Check for Cadets over the age of 18 Years

Amended to strike 1st paragraph (background checks) and last line of paragraph 2. 
Note that the agenda mentions that there are 2630 cadets between 18-21. 

This is what was approved:
Quote(2) a change to CAPR 35-3 requiring the termination of membership of any cadet who has been convicted of any offense (or has suffered a pattern of arrests) that would disqualify such cadet from senior membership in CAP as described in CAPR 39-2, paragraph 3-2, and subject to same waiver procedures currently in effect for senior members.

8.  CAP Member Standardized Recognition Program.  withdrawn.

9.  Request for Study of SSN Substitute.  NHQ will study SSN substitute and discuss solution with AF/Army JROTC in hopes that it will allow more to join. Evidently some public charter school wants to pay for membership for CAP for entire study body.  School can't ask students for SSNs, so is why we need substitute.   Some concern expressed that this would let school decide who is a CAP member by deciding which kids can go to the school.
motion failed.

11.  CAP Member Standardized Discipline Program
Postponed indefinitely, since they're already working on a draft reg on adverse membership actions.

12.  AE Officer of the Year –Name Change.
Amended to have a "competition" to decide who the award would be named after.  (Hmm, was this done for all the other awards we renamed?)

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

I watched it. It was the first time I have ever watched a Board meeting, so I am new to it. Kinda reminded me of Congress. Inteesting none the less. I have drill tomorrow but during braks I may check it out.

DC

Does anyone know what time are they starting up again tomorrow?

RiverAux

One other thing that mentioned early in the afternoon and I just got the tail end of it, was something about CAP maybe taking place of contractors working with Predators.  Did anyone catch that full discussion?

RickFranz

Is there a Dinner tonight?  Will that be streamed?
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on February 27, 2009, 11:13:02 PM
One other thing that mentioned early in the afternoon and I just got the tail end of it, was something about CAP maybe taking place of contractors working with Predators.  Did anyone catch that full discussion?

I am part of that action....don't know how much I can talk about it....just that we are in fact going to do some predator simulation with a 182Q.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

argentip

This was mentioned during Mr. Jones' talk.  I don't recall him saying we would be taking the place of contractors, but he did mention something about the Predator.  I would hughly doubt we would be working with the Predator program, though.  I don't think we are that accepted by the AF except maybe at the very high levels.  YMMV.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

argentip

Quote from: lordmonar on February 27, 2009, 11:36:18 PM

I am part of that action....don't know how much I can talk about it....just that we are in fact going to do some predator simulation with a 182Q.

I'm assuming this is more of the intercept type missions for restricted areas, and not the UAVs, then?
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RiverAux on February 27, 2009, 08:53:08 PM
Consent agenda items appoved:

3f. ED - Professional Military Education Equivalency Time Limit
So they removed the time limit restrictions on Military Professional Education Courses completed BEFORE one entering CAP?
RM

dwb

Quote from: RickFranz on February 27, 2009, 11:26:30 PM
Is there a Dinner tonight?  Will that be streamed?

No, but they will be liveblogging their dessert choices.

lordmonar

Quote from: argentip on February 27, 2009, 11:40:02 PM

This was mentioned during Mr. Jones' talk.  I don't recall him saying we would be taking the place of contractors, but he did mention something about the Predator.  I would hughly doubt we would be working with the Predator program, though.  I don't think we are that accepted by the AF except maybe at the very high levels.  YMMV.

You all need to have more faith in yourselves.

I can state for a fact that we are going to be flying some training support missions.  They are building the plane right now.  I am slated to be in the first cadre of sensor operators for this new platform.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on February 27, 2009, 11:36:18 PM

Okay that.  I've heard about that somewhere before --maybe here..  IIRC it involves putting Predator type video equipment on CAP planes and then using the CAP planes as the platform to train new operators on.