What do you think of possible CAP budget cuts by DoD?

Started by iowacap, January 28, 2006, 07:23:38 AM

Major_Chuck

Toys R Us donated our rechargeable light sabres as part of their HLS Mission.  A special forces battalion of GI Joes is being prepared now.

Quote from: MIKE on January 30, 2006, 01:20:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 30, 2006, 12:44:14 AM
The best thing we could do to insure our existence is to use the money we have left
for new light saber batteries and start chopping deadweight.

You must have an early model... The ones we got issued are rechargeable.  :D
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

JAFO78

Well it looks like we will get a $4 million dollar hit. To me that don't seem to bad.

How does everyone else feel about it.? I'm not sure how big the budget is?
JAFO

Major_Chuck

AF Appropriated budget is about $24 million.  Huge hit $4 million.  Here is where the advantage to being a Non Profit Corporation kicks in.  CAP can chase after private companies and donors in an attempt to off set this.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

JAFO78

Thanks Major for enlightening me. The budget was around $24 million, at first I thought it was a miss print.

Wow what do they spend the $24 million on, coming up with new uniforms every national board meeting.  ::)

$24 million is not very much, for a full year. I see why fund raising is so important.
JAFO

Earhart1971

24 Million is the operating budget for National Headquarters, you would be surprised how much money you can go through when you are paying about 100 to 125 people salaries.

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Earhart1971 on March 27, 2006, 12:14:15 AM
24 Million is the operating budget for National Headquarters, you would be surprised how much money you can go through when you are paying about 100 to 125 people salaries.

Don't forget that this is money that AF has budgeted for us out of their funds.  We do have monies coming in from our individual contributions (dues) plus contributions from business and industry.  On the state level governments may contribute some out of state budgets to wings.  Again this is the principle advantage to also being non-profit corporation.

4 mil is still a huge hit when you look at it, just means a little more belt tightening.  Perhaps in the non-essential stuff and not in what matters.  You fill in the blank here.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Earhart1971

Quote from: capchiro on January 30, 2006, 02:54:54 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents worth.  I don't think we should be tqalking about getting rid of wing administrators.  We have one, I believe she is part-time.  She is the best source in the state for what is going on in the state.  She has been in the position for many years and is necessary.  the Wing Commanders come and go, but she is the concrete that holds the state together.  She is the only consistency that we have... and she sure isn't overpaid...  She tried to retire and few years ago and things went to h**l in a hurry.  We begged her to return.  Having someone at NHQ will not get anything done in the state.  Having someone at NHQ will only insure that their allegiance is to NHQ.  NHQ doesn't have a clue half of the time as to what we need/want or do.  Our Wing Administrator is probably the most important person in our state.  If your wing administrator isn't doing the job, get a new one, but don't try to take ours from us.     

By the way the budget cut is not going to happen.

Got the 4 million Back! Plus more.

You can thank Tony Pineta, the National Commander, folks fasten your seat belts, the best is yet to come!

groundpounder

dwb

Last I knew, we were trying to get a plus-up from Congress for this fiscal year (or was it FY07?), to help ease the burden of the budget cuts.

A plus-up is not the same as the budget cut not happening.  It's a one-time appropriation.  I'd be surprised if the budget cut was totally reversed, especially since Congress is in recess right now.

alexalvarez

I hope this information is correct.  Upward and onward!
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

SarDragon

Quote from: Earhart1971 on April 14, 2006, 07:33:27 AM
Quote from: capchiro on January 30, 2006, 02:54:54 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents worth.  I don't think we should be tqalking about getting rid of wing administrators.  We have one, I believe she is part-time.  She is the best source in the state for what is going on in the state.  She has been in the position for many years and is necessary.  the Wing Commanders come and go, but she is the concrete that holds the state together.  She is the only consistency that we have... and she sure isn't overpaid...  She tried to retire and few years ago and things went to h**l in a hurry.  We begged her to return.  Having someone at NHQ will not get anything done in the state.  Having someone at NHQ will only insure that their allegiance is to NHQ.  NHQ doesn't have a clue half of the time as to what we need/want or do.  Our Wing Administrator is probably the most important person in our state.  If your wing administrator isn't doing the job, get a new one, but don't try to take ours from us.     

By the way the budget cut is not going to happen.

Got the 4 million Back! Plus more.

You can thank Tony Pineta, the National Commander, folks fasten your seat belts, the best is yet to come!

Nice news, but let's at least get our National Commander's name right - it's Pineda.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Earhart1971

Nice news, but let's at least get our National Commander's name right - it's Pineda.

Hey, I was tired, from driving back from Ft. Lauderdale, LOL!

By the way take a look at the Sheriff thread.

And my opinion, you cannot run a successful CAP Organization out of Members WALLETS.

We keep trying to do that, and it doesn't work, members burn out and leave.

We need paid people all the way down to Squadron Level.

But it takes assets and budget, you either fund raise or you make friends with local government agencies that can support CAP.

Study the Boy Scout Organization,  they have a 50 year start on us.