Main Menu

Clearance

Started by hatentx, August 19, 2008, 02:52:26 AM

hatentx

Security Clearance??  Why would CAP even want to know if I have one or not and what good does it do?  Can I get selected to go on a SAR mission when Air Force one goes down? 

MikeD

There are more missions to ES then just SAR.  This include some for Homeland Security.  There are also Counter Drug missions but those require a separate screening by CAP's law enforcement customers, and your clearance doesn't actually help you out there.

hatentx

Okay but what would I be doing with CAP for DHS that I would need a clearance.  That is what I am not understanding.  What does my clearance have to do with working with CAP.  I guess I am wondering what type of missions would I now be able to do or different things that I would be set apart for?

lordmonar

Well...we do training with the air force....we have sent aircraft into the Washington DC resticted area and allowed the USAF to intercept us.

We provided top cover during the national conventions four years ago.

We have done top cover for USN ships transiting out of port.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

FW

Quote from: hatentx on August 19, 2008, 03:44:23 AM
Okay but what would I be doing with CAP for DHS that I would need a clearance.  That is what I am not understanding.  What does my clearance have to do with working with CAP.  I guess I am wondering what type of missions would I now be able to do or different things that I would be set apart for?

So far, there are no CAP missions requiring a govt. clearance.  However, there are future missions being discussed which would require them.  Hence the request for such members to identify themselves.  

Al Sayre

WIWOAD, the fact that you had a clearance was classified at the level of your clearance.  I'm not sure that CAP has a need to know...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

dwb

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 19, 2008, 11:19:28 AMWIWOAD, the fact that you had a clearance was classified at the level of your clearance.  I'm not sure that CAP has a need to know...

I've never heard of anything like that before.  Most agencies color-code their ID badges based on clearance; if the badge was TS/SCI, you wouldn't be able to take it home!

I'm sure CAP is collecting this information for potential missions in the future, and not because they have Top Secret missions today.  Still, I would be wary to enter that information into e-Services if I knew they didn't really need it.

hatentx

I don't see what future mission that could be needful of a clearence.  I was leary to give my info but then again all I know with my clearence is the air volocity of a european and african swallow

Flying Pig

There is probably no real reason CAP needs to know your security clearance status or what you held.  I was asked when I joined the Sheriff's Department and we don't have security clearances either.  A cop is a cop.  If you concerned about it, leave it blank I can guarantee either way it wont have any affect on your CAP participation.

Besides, most applications that have anything REMOTELY to do with military, paramilitary or police work always ask.

Hawk200

A lot of places ask if you have a clearance in order to make sure you haven't lost a clearance before. If you have, they may want to know why. Some places may have a legitimate need to know, such as law enforcement agencies, but there are others that don't need to know.

CAP has looked into missions that might require it. It's easier to pick and choose from people that have or had one than to try to get a background investigation on someone that hasn't done any government work.

hatentx

What type of missions though.  This is the question nobody is answering

dwb

They won't tell you until you enter your clearance information. :D

Fireball

Quote from: hatentx on August 19, 2008, 02:01:18 PM
I don't see what future mission that could be needful of a clearence.  I was leary to give my info but then again all I know with my clearence is the air volocity of a european and african swallow

Laden or unladen? ??? ;D
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

lordmonar

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 19, 2008, 11:19:28 AM
WIWOAD, the fact that you had a clearance was classified at the level of your clearance.  I'm not sure that CAP has a need to know...

Al.....I don't know when you were on active duty....but that has not been the case for over 22 years.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

If you have a clearance and are concerned about it, just don't enter it.  No harm, no foul. 

aveighter

Quote from: hatentx on August 19, 2008, 03:13:00 PM
What type of missions though.  This is the question nobody is answering

Because you don't have a clearance. 

Opsec at a level where it really means something. 

Stop asking.

Flying Pig

As cool as it sounds......there are none.  CAP doesn't perform missions that require any of us to maintain or possess any military security clearance.  A CD screening is about as high speed as we get.

RiverAux

I think that the AF wouldn't be totally out of line if they wanted CAP members participating in exercises with the military to have clearances.  They don't as of now, but a case could be made that by participating in such exercieses CAP members are receiving/learning sensitive information on military tactics and capabilities that they probably wouldn't want passed around.  I would think that they might want the option of prosecuting a CAP member who saw something during such an exercise and disseminated it in some fashion.  Would we want the terrorists learning of the response times observed by CAP members when CAP aircraft "violate" critical airspace and are intercepted by fighter jets?

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on August 19, 2008, 08:04:14 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on August 19, 2008, 11:19:28 AM

Al.....I don't know when you were on active duty....but that has not been the case for over 22 years.

I got my brief in 1970 - same info. It's a need-to-know thing - folks that don't need to know that you have a clearance shouldn't be told.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

They use to type our clearances on our TDY orders.   That started at least in 1972 in the USAF.   Of course green door stuff stayed behind the green doors.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640