Brigadier General Amy Courter elected as CAP National Commander

Started by Eclipse, August 07, 2008, 07:10:03 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 08, 2008, 05:37:52 AM
Quote from: CASH172 on August 08, 2008, 02:49:28 AM
When does Amy Courter start to get to wear the Maj Gen insignia?

Any appointments and promotions are effective following the close of the National Board meeting. So they will be presented at the banquet on saturday evening.

Assuming they aren't on backorder from VG  >:D

Congratulations to General Courter and Colonel Chitwood, we look forward to great things!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BrianH76

Since Gen Courter has been interim CC, I've felt a sea change in the organization.  There is no doubt that we have top-notch, professional leadership in CAP, and I look forward to three more years of her leadership.  CAP is in great hands and has a great outlook.

Pylon

:clap:  Congratulations to Maj Gen (Elect) Courter!  This organization deserves great leadership, and it's clear she brings that to the table for us.  I'm looking forward to her coming term.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

She is the ma'am.   :)

I was so happy to hear when she got elected to CV.  I am equally happy now.  As I've said here, she was activity director of CLA when I went.  I heard from her a lot there, and got a chance to talk to her one-on-one about all kinds of CAP issues.  I thought she totally had the right idea about CAP based on that limited (1 week) experience. 

stratoflyer

Anybody have any specifics as to what they expect from this new leadership?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

IceNine

My initial impression based off of running into Gen. Courter a half dozen times over the years has always been that she is an genuine, all around nice lady.  She is an ordinary volunteer, coupled with extraordinary vision and ability.

I foresee Gen Courter going down as one of the greatest commander's this organization has ever seen.  IMHO, in the last ~year she has already affected more positive change in this organization that I have seen in the 9 before that. 

She has defiantly taken a running start and I don't see any signs of slowing.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Sleepwalker

Last August  I had  the unusual distinction of giving an order to General Courter, the National Commander - Brigadier General - and me being just a mere Captain.  Which she followed, by the way. 

The circumstances?  Picture me with my hands on the wheel of the CAP van, turning back to face the General (who was conversing with no less than five "bird" Colonels) and saying quite sheepishly, "Excuse me, Ma'am.  We're about to leave so you will need to fasten your seatbelt.  Thank you."

OK, so not as dramatic as it first sounded, but still - a lawful (safety) order! 

As a note: she struck me, as well, as very knowledgeable and very personable in just the limited time that I was around her.  I am glad she was promoted.       

A Thiarna, déan trócaire

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 08, 2008, 05:37:52 AM
Assuming they aren't on backorder from VG  >:D

"Sorry, ma'am, but we can't pin you tonight. Vanguard hasn't yet made the female major general shoulder boards. They're on eight-week back order."

I don't think I'd be very happy if I were the intended recipient of that news. Of course, I wouldn't be wearing the female boards, but still....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

LtCol White

I think we all agree that we will see great things from the team of Maj Gen Courter and BGen Chitwood. We have 2 truly outstanding individuals at the helm of our organization. I can't remember the last time the membership seemed to be as pleased and excited about the senior leadership in CAP.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

stratoflyer

Last I heard, the statement of vision and CAP's future released not long ago received lukewarm reactions from what I read. I guess that will have to be addressed strongly. Until I came across this thread, no one was saying much about the General.

Just wondering? Who changed the MAJCOM patch?

Major Carrales

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 11, 2008, 03:03:28 AM
Last I heard, the statement of vision and CAP's future released not long ago received lukewarm reactions from what I read. I guess that will have to be addressed strongly. Until I came across this thread, no one was saying much about the General.

Oooh...holding people to their past rants...You rebel you!!!  ;)

All kidding aside, sometimes we all get so high on our soapboxes that we sometimes forget what brand of soap it was.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 11, 2008, 03:03:28 AM

As I recall that pre-dated HWSRN, having happened not too long after 9/11, when there was real discussion about making
CAP a legit Major Command, and moving us out from under AETC.

Those were heady days, as I recall, and then things started going South with several CC's rotating out before their terms were finished, and then...you know...the "dark times" started, and there was so much rhetoric about separating us from the military and trying to make us into a pseudo LEA/Aux, well...

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

Major, that was a great quote. I'm gonna have to use it someday.

Anyone have anything specific that they would like to see the Gen. do within a year or so?

Pumbaa

Yeah reduce the number of various uniforms...  Get rid of the TPU...

Ducking and running....

BillB

Watching the National Board activities, I saw alot of Board members wearing the TPU, so chances are that uniform will stay (The silver braid has to go). It also looked like several members of the Board are concerned about the number of uniforms/combinations that can be worn (heard someone say it's possible to have 37 combinations or different uniforms show up at a Squadron meeting)  Right offhand I see Gen Courter if off on the right track in what she's doing or may be planning.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

cap235629

I am a fat & fuzzy who is VERY proud of the fact that "Back in the Day" I wasn't.  CORPORATE SERVICE DRESS UNIFORM is an excellent addition to the line up and should not be discarded just because HHSNBN designed it.  If the Air Force (rightfully so) does not want anyone who doesn't meet HW standards to wear their uniform I am OK with that, provided there is an alternative that is military in appearance and as stylish as the AF version.  We have that now.  I am a proponent of having 1 alternative uniform for each AF uniform...

Ditch the gray pants, Polo shirt and aviator shirts with gray pants and go with the corporate service dress with modified cap grooming standards (neatly trimmed beard, no pony tails or mullets)

here will be the list

BDU=BBDU
AF BLUE=Corporate blue/white
AF Dress=Corporate Dress
AF Flight Suit=Blue Flightsuit

pretty simple huh?

If we need a "special" uniform for VSAF, bring back the polo with KHAKI pants

Allow the same ribbons/badges on ALL uniforms (except VSAF), just because I am fat (partially due to a service connected disability I might add) does not mean that the awards I received on AD are any less important that those earned by my skinny counterparts and I should be allowed to display them on my corporate uniform (which by definition is "civilian" clothing) if the regulations of the service that awarded them allow for their display!

I am done, FLAME AWAY
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Major Carrales

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

stratoflyer

Here comes the FLAME!!

No, just kidding. Let me just say this.

It is not so much the number of different uniforms, but lack of coordination. At my squadron, one shows up in gray, few others polos, then a few more in flight suits, one in a blue flight suit, and on and on. Why not just say all seniors were the AF dress: alternative--corporate dress.

So yes, I agree with an alternative to each AF uniform, just keep the members coordinated.

I guess I've come to accept the TPU since so many posts have shown numerous examples and reasons to keep it, but how about a few modifications. By no means should this be the final version of the uniform.

And this: will somebody please establish a standard for the aviator shirt! It needs to be explicitly specified IN THE REGS!! Enough with the brands and cotton blends!!

And let me be on record to say that the Van Heusen aviator shirt sucks! Yes, I said it folks. It's too thin, I get little threads coming out all over the place, and 2 washes and it begins to wear. Try starching it and it's a nightmare. Van Heusen: you're on notice!

MIKE

This has been so done... And we've already beat the shorts and polo deal that was in the agenda to death.

Uniform discussion in this thread is OT anyway.
Mike Johnston