Brigadier General Amy Courter elected as CAP National Commander

Started by Eclipse, August 07, 2008, 07:10:03 PM

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on August 11, 2008, 04:57:15 PM
This has been so done... And we've already beat the shorts and polo deal that was in the agenda to death.

Uniform discussion in this thread is OT anyway.

OK, then let's see this in the proper direction...

Name three policies you would like to see the Major General enact or support?  (Let's keep it uniformfrei)

Here are mine...

1) Expanded Public Affairs at the Community level.  A CAP that is a part of the community, be that through an outreach to General Aviation or even to sister organziations like the Coast Gard Auxiliary.

2) A unified effective safety program that would be more than volumes of paper and "lip service."  Prehaps a reward system for safe aviators, ground team and Cadet Programs more than a certificate or ribbon-like award.

3) An Aerospace Education out-reach that furthers the Elementrary School program.  I am of the opinion that "getting them young," both for CAP and for General Aviation, will reap benefits for us all.  Middle School is proving to be too late for such an approach.  Elementary school aged children still see what we do as almost magical.  The focus on science and math will also improve our education system.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Reconfirmation and focus of CAP's true operational missions in Emergency services.

Streamline effort of regulation inconsistencies and conflicts.

Discontinue SUI's.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Excellent...
Quote from: Eclipse on August 11, 2008, 05:24:27 PM
Consolidation and reconfirmation of CAP true operational missions in Emergency services.

This will be key to interoperability.  Still, I should hope some room is made for "adapting" to new missions.  The Major General is keen on interoperability, at least based on what she supported in several speeches.  I recall working even with private firms, like the Weather Channel.

QuoteStreamline effort of regulation inconsistencies and conflicts.
This too, is needed, I should think that there are enough folks out there, even in this forum, that can start that process. 

QuoteDiscontinue SUI's.
Really?  Explain more fully?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 11, 2008, 05:27:31 PM
QuoteDiscontinue SUI's.
Really?  Explain more fully?

They are just a distraction and additional burden on commanders and staff, with little return on the
additional effort and background noise.

A 50-page document that details the lack of manpower available to a respective unit doesn't
change the situation, and just results in a lot of units with check-box staffers because someone
said "x" was required.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

You hit it, I just got done reviewing the last SUI Docs from all of my units, and there was a lot of nonsense about areas not being staff, and on a couple of occasions they actually referenced a wing staff officer as the regulatory requirement. 

For instance, Finding- Unit has not appointed an Aerospace Education Officer, this is required per Capt. John Smith DA, ILWG.

A wing staffer, or even the wing commander "saying" that you need to have this reads to me "should" a supplement saying you will reads to me "shall".

If we had better trained, qualified IG's there would be a whole different issue but currently IG's are as documented outside of thread as going rogue and investigating without proper cause, issuing findings where there are hardly observations, and citing the regs incorrectly or not at all as a basis for their findings.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

dwb

Quote from: IceNine on August 11, 2008, 05:46:45 PM...but currently IG's are as documented outside of thread as going rogue and investigating without proper cause, issuing findings where there are hardly observations, and citing the regs incorrectly or not at all as a basis for their findings.

All IGs? ;D

Edited: I give you a hard time for generalizing, but I have seen SUI reports that I didn't think were weighted correctly.  The key, like all things in CAP, is training.

Unfortunately, finding talented IGs is just as difficult as finding talented personnel for any other position.  That doesn't mean we abolish the cadet program because it's hard to find good CPs, but it does mean there will be some variance in quality.

Major Carrales

How do you think the Major General might best mitigate these issues?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 11, 2008, 05:10:53 PM
Name three policies you would like to see the Major General enact or support?  (Let's keep it uniformfrei)

1) The development of a professional fundraising department/organization that would focus on developing recurring contributions each year.

We currently base our organizations budget and programs off "gimme" money from the American taxpayer and membership dues.  To me, this isn't a good way to ensure fiscal security for our organization.  We can't just sit around and "hope" that someone will give us money, we need to actively and agressively pursue it.  We need to spend money to make money.

A significant increase in donations/contributions would enable some of the other ones.

2) A start-up kit for all new squadrons

What is each new squadron missing?  Money.  Money for things like uniforms, facilities, ribbons, equipment, etc.  If we put together a squadron "starter kit" I think it would make a huge difference.  It could include;
a) Recruiting brochures
b) Needed forms
c) Personnel file folders
d) Laptop/printer
e) "starter ribbons" like 10 of ea. Curry, Arnold, Feik, WB, Membership, BOD, etc.
f) $500.00-$1000.00 starter fund
g) miscellaneous

What better way to ensure that a squadron gets off on the right foot than to provide them with everything they'd need to start one?

3) Local Unit Funding

Again, the only unfunded level of CAP is where everything actually happens.  It would benefit the units greatly to recive an annual stipend of say $1000.00 for purchase of new equipment, payment of bills, field trips, etc.

4) Realignment of NHQ Staff/More open spots:  Currently there are 3 people working the CP shop at NHQ.  There are twice that working in IT.  CP is a mission, IT is a support role.  CP supports half (or more) of CAPs membership.  There needs to be a better balance of workload vs. staffing. (Not a dig at the IT people, just an example).

5) A push to rectify out of date regulations and manuals

There are so many regs and manuals that are out of date, aren't relevant anymore, or contain so many errors, ambiguities/contradictions that there needs to be an overhaul.  Heck, you could probably even get rid of most of them.

I think that part of this lies in the fact that regulation changes need NB approval and to put an ammendment for 60+ people to vote on one sentence is a waste of time.  The paid NHQ employees that manage these programs should have the lattitude to modify regulations that need to be (so long as the program itself isn't changed.)

But right now, I think we need to play "catch up."  Our specialty track pamplets are not up to date, our uniform manual is out of date - dramatically, our manuals are not "user friendly."

There are some of my ideas...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 11, 2008, 06:39:26 PM

3) Local Unit Funding

Again, the only unfunded level of CAP is where everything actually happens.  It would benefit the units greatly to recive an annual stipend of say $1000.00 for purchase of new equipment, payment of bills, field trips, etc.

I had a prominent person in my area ask about the funding budget for our unit.  He has assumed that our unit got funds from the State Level...he was suprised to discover that all of the things we had been accomplishing were done without lateral funding with lots coming out of members pockets or small donations given to cadets.

"Wow!!!" He commented, "You did all this with nothing? Imagine what could be done if they gave you something!"

Even 200 dollars could be put to good use in our unit.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

stratoflyer

I am seeing some really good ideas here. One thing I would like to see is traveling CAP educators. Example: Someone who travels the wing giving lectures on ways of submitting paperwork or organizing training weekends. Instead of holding one event once a year far from most units, this guys (gal) would be flown around helping individual groups and large squadrons.

By the way, I like the way this thread is going.

One question: How do we get these ideas up to the good General?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

CAP Producer

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 11, 2008, 07:20:17 PM
I am seeing some really good ideas here. One thing I would like to see is traveling CAP educators. Example: Someone who travels the wing giving lectures on ways of submitting paperwork or organizing training weekends. Instead of holding one event once a year far from most units, this guys (gal) would be flown around helping individual groups and large squadrons.

By using the chain of command (your Unit/CC to your Group/CC then) to your first Corporate Officer (your Wing Commander)

It's great to chat here but nothing (or almost nothing) happens without support from your Wing CC.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: CAP Producer on August 11, 2008, 07:30:30 PM
Quote from: stratoflyer on August 11, 2008, 07:20:17 PM

By using the chain of command (your Unit/CC to your Group/CC then) to your first Corporate Officer (your Wing Commander)

It's great to chat here but nothing (or almost nothing) happens without support from your Wing CC.

Well said, Sir.  We discuss alot here, sometimes the "powers that be" read and are "influenced" by a good idea posted or by the reactions to bad ones.  In fact, I think some come here and post thinking just that.  I even think that tends to fuel the theatrics that happens here from time to time.  To everyone in that regard, post professionally...clearly and free from too much agendism.  Be yourself, true to your beliefs and post as would would speak to a person.  The worth of your point will come through.

To the various trolls, answer them with respectful temperence...you might just "kiss one" and turn them into a prince.  All the theatrics does is make CAP look bad.

But never forget, the proper channels exist to be used.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

May I suggest that we keep the thread going as it has, then continue to intelligently add to it. 

We pick a cut off of a date or number of items to present. 

Once we reach the cutoff, we distill and enumerate each item such as jimmydeanno did on his post.

We get a logical format I would then suggest a delegation present this up the appropriate state chains. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: 1st Lt FAT and FUZZY on August 11, 2008, 09:59:24 PM
May I suggest that we keep the thread going as it has, then continue to intelligently add to it. 

We pick a cut off of a date or number of items to present. 

Once we reach the cutoff, we distill and enumerate each item such as jimmydeanno did on his post.

We get a logical format I would then suggest a delegation present this up the appropriate state chains. 

I was hoping to take those issues and then distill the best into new threads.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

PhoenixRisen

I know it's been discussed many a time, but I'm curious... On the topic of better public affairs (and professionalism), what would it take to standardize a format for unit webpages?  By "unit", I'm really referring to NHQ all the way down to flights.  (Excluding the goCAP.com site, as recruiting sites generally look different.)

I'm about finished with my new squadron's site, and I went around sampling other units from across the US.  Some were outstanding, some were "eh" and some wanted to make me puke.  "This is how you're trying to sell CAP to the online community?!"

How would one go about requesting an IT change?  NB?  NEC?  (I'm honestly clueless as to these specifics.)

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 12, 2008, 12:36:17 AM
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on August 12, 2008, 12:29:57 AM

I'm about finished with my new squadron's site,...

Preview URL?

Not of the full site.  Don't have any space for it (CAWG IT regs won't allow your own domain [squadron, that is] 'till you've received your charter, and we're almost there).  We do have a "temporary" site up, linked through our group's webpage.

It's nearly identical to what the full site will look like, though with a few minor tweaks.

http://gp7.cawg.cap.gov/school/esco_home.htm

IceNine

Best option for the type of thing you are trying to do, is design it, and put it to work.

Start with wing and design their site, and setup a packet site for squadrons to use.

If you can work out the bugs eventually it will catch on, just like WMU and SIMS

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

FYI your site hates firefox, I can tell that already.  I take that back there are some alignment issues for the site you just sent us

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PhoenixRisen

Just a side note on all of the disclaimers I put on the site which emphasize that we're not an official squadron yet:

That's required by CAWG/IT for a non-official squadron/group/flight to have a website.  The only way you can get your own domain (e.g. my squadron will be http://sq714.cawg.cap.gov) is if you've recieved your charter, which, as stated before, we haven't yet).