Brigadier General Amy Courter elected as CAP National Commander

Started by Eclipse, August 07, 2008, 07:10:03 PM

Eclipse

In a unanimous vote, iCC Brigadier General Amy Courter was just elected as Nation Commander in her own right.

Congratulations!

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluelakes 13

Umm, old news

(if "old" is defined as over an hour ago)

See 2008 Summer Board Video, above.

;D

usaf262

Adult member

Bluelakes 13

Eclipse

In a 39 to 24 to 2 vote, Col. Reggie Chitwood, currently National Chief of Staff was elected as National Vice Commander.

Congratulations!

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Mike Johnston

BuckeyeDEJ

So we have a major general select and a brigadier general select. Both Gen. Courter and Col. Chitwood were at the Florida Wing conference earlier this year. They seem like good people. Here's hoping for a bright future for CAP.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Eclipse on August 07, 2008, 07:57:06 PM
In a 39 to 24 to 2 vote, Col. Reggie Chitwood, currently National Chief of Staff was elected as National Vice Commander.

Congratulations!
Col Chazzel of RMR also ran and got 24 votes to BG (elect) Chitwood's 39. Someone else ran and got the remaining 2 votes.

Chazzel gave a less than inspiring speech
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 07, 2008, 08:36:53 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 07, 2008, 07:57:06 PM

Congratulations!
Col Chazzel of RMR also ran and got 24 votes to BG (elect) Chitwood's 39. Someone else ran and got the remaining 2 votes.

Chazzel gave a less than inspiring speech

And there was his impending job change and schooling to be considered also.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

RAZOR

CAPINSIGHTS is batting a 1000. They have been right every time. :clap: :clap: :clap:

AlphaSigOU

Not that we need to worry about it too much in CAP (really!  ;D), but she is now entitled to two ruffles and flourishes, followed by the General's March. (General Chitwood gets only one R&F and the general's march as a buck general.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

Congrats to them both!!!

I think they will do great things for CAP.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CASH172

When does Amy Courter start to get to wear the Maj Gen insignia?

JC004

RiverAux

FW

Maj Gen (Select) Courter gets "pinned" on Saturday evening.  Brig Gen (select) Chitwood gets "pinned" directly after.   

It's a great new beginning for CAP.  I'm looking forward to some real positive change in the next few months. 

Cecil DP

Quote from: JC004 on August 08, 2008, 02:58:22 AM
w00t!

The promotions are effective following  the close of the National Board meeting. They will be promoted at the Banquet on saturday evening.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Cecil DP

Quote from: CASH172 on August 08, 2008, 02:49:28 AM

Any appointments and promotions are effective following the close of the National Board meeting. So they will be presented at the banquet on saturday evening.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Mustang

Quote from: FW on August 08, 2008, 03:34:51 AM
Maj Gen (Select) Courter gets "pinned" on Saturday evening.  Brig Gen (select) Chitwood gets "pinned" directly after.   

I think "Maj Gen (Elect)" is more correct than "Maj Gen (Select)"; after all, she was elected, not selected.  Come November, the winner of the race for the Presidency will be the President-elect, not the President-select).

Besides, 100% of the eligibles will be promoted, which ain't all that selective!  ;D
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

FW

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 08, 2008, 05:37:52 AM
Quote from: CASH172 on August 08, 2008, 02:49:28 AM

Any appointments and promotions are effective following the close of the National Board meeting. So they will be presented at the banquet on saturday evening.

Assuming they aren't on backorder from VG  >:D

Congratulations to General Courter and Colonel Chitwood, we look forward to great things!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BrianH76

Since Gen Courter has been interim CC, I've felt a sea change in the organization.  There is no doubt that we have top-notch, professional leadership in CAP, and I look forward to three more years of her leadership.  CAP is in great hands and has a great outlook.

Pylon

:clap:  Congratulations to Maj Gen (Elect) Courter!  This organization deserves great leadership, and it's clear she brings that to the table for us.  I'm looking forward to her coming term.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

She is the ma'am.   :)

I was so happy to hear when she got elected to CV.  I am equally happy now.  As I've said here, she was activity director of CLA when I went.  I heard from her a lot there, and got a chance to talk to her one-on-one about all kinds of CAP issues.  I thought she totally had the right idea about CAP based on that limited (1 week) experience. 

stratoflyer

Anybody have any specifics as to what they expect from this new leadership?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

IceNine

My initial impression based off of running into Gen. Courter a half dozen times over the years has always been that she is an genuine, all around nice lady.  She is an ordinary volunteer, coupled with extraordinary vision and ability.

I foresee Gen Courter going down as one of the greatest commander's this organization has ever seen.  IMHO, in the last ~year she has already affected more positive change in this organization that I have seen in the 9 before that. 

She has defiantly taken a running start and I don't see any signs of slowing.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Sleepwalker

Last August  I had  the unusual distinction of giving an order to General Courter, the National Commander - Brigadier General - and me being just a mere Captain.  Which she followed, by the way. 

The circumstances?  Picture me with my hands on the wheel of the CAP van, turning back to face the General (who was conversing with no less than five "bird" Colonels) and saying quite sheepishly, "Excuse me, Ma'am.  We're about to leave so you will need to fasten your seatbelt.  Thank you."

OK, so not as dramatic as it first sounded, but still - a lawful (safety) order! 

As a note: she struck me, as well, as very knowledgeable and very personable in just the limited time that I was around her.  I am glad she was promoted.       

A Thiarna, déan trócaire

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 08, 2008, 05:37:52 AM
Assuming they aren't on backorder from VG  >:D

"Sorry, ma'am, but we can't pin you tonight. Vanguard hasn't yet made the female major general shoulder boards. They're on eight-week back order."

I don't think I'd be very happy if I were the intended recipient of that news. Of course, I wouldn't be wearing the female boards, but still....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

LtCol White

I think we all agree that we will see great things from the team of Maj Gen Courter and BGen Chitwood. We have 2 truly outstanding individuals at the helm of our organization. I can't remember the last time the membership seemed to be as pleased and excited about the senior leadership in CAP.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

stratoflyer

Last I heard, the statement of vision and CAP's future released not long ago received lukewarm reactions from what I read. I guess that will have to be addressed strongly. Until I came across this thread, no one was saying much about the General.

Just wondering? Who changed the MAJCOM patch?

Major Carrales

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 11, 2008, 03:03:28 AM
Last I heard, the statement of vision and CAP's future released not long ago received lukewarm reactions from what I read. I guess that will have to be addressed strongly. Until I came across this thread, no one was saying much about the General.

Oooh...holding people to their past rants...You rebel you!!!  ;)

All kidding aside, sometimes we all get so high on our soapboxes that we sometimes forget what brand of soap it was.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 11, 2008, 03:03:28 AM

As I recall that pre-dated HWSRN, having happened not too long after 9/11, when there was real discussion about making
CAP a legit Major Command, and moving us out from under AETC.

Those were heady days, as I recall, and then things started going South with several CC's rotating out before their terms were finished, and then...you know...the "dark times" started, and there was so much rhetoric about separating us from the military and trying to make us into a pseudo LEA/Aux, well...

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

Major, that was a great quote. I'm gonna have to use it someday.

Anyone have anything specific that they would like to see the Gen. do within a year or so?

Pumbaa

Yeah reduce the number of various uniforms...  Get rid of the TPU...

Ducking and running....

BillB

Watching the National Board activities, I saw alot of Board members wearing the TPU, so chances are that uniform will stay (The silver braid has to go). It also looked like several members of the Board are concerned about the number of uniforms/combinations that can be worn (heard someone say it's possible to have 37 combinations or different uniforms show up at a Squadron meeting)  Right offhand I see Gen Courter if off on the right track in what she's doing or may be planning.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

cap235629

I am a fat & fuzzy who is VERY proud of the fact that "Back in the Day" I wasn't.  CORPORATE SERVICE DRESS UNIFORM is an excellent addition to the line up and should not be discarded just because HHSNBN designed it.  If the Air Force (rightfully so) does not want anyone who doesn't meet HW standards to wear their uniform I am OK with that, provided there is an alternative that is military in appearance and as stylish as the AF version.  We have that now.  I am a proponent of having 1 alternative uniform for each AF uniform...

Ditch the gray pants, Polo shirt and aviator shirts with gray pants and go with the corporate service dress with modified cap grooming standards (neatly trimmed beard, no pony tails or mullets)

here will be the list

BDU=BBDU
AF BLUE=Corporate blue/white
AF Dress=Corporate Dress
AF Flight Suit=Blue Flightsuit

pretty simple huh?

If we need a "special" uniform for VSAF, bring back the polo with KHAKI pants

Allow the same ribbons/badges on ALL uniforms (except VSAF), just because I am fat (partially due to a service connected disability I might add) does not mean that the awards I received on AD are any less important that those earned by my skinny counterparts and I should be allowed to display them on my corporate uniform (which by definition is "civilian" clothing) if the regulations of the service that awarded them allow for their display!

I am done, FLAME AWAY
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

stratoflyer

Here comes the FLAME!!

No, just kidding. Let me just say this.

It is not so much the number of different uniforms, but lack of coordination. At my squadron, one shows up in gray, few others polos, then a few more in flight suits, one in a blue flight suit, and on and on. Why not just say all seniors were the AF dress: alternative--corporate dress.

So yes, I agree with an alternative to each AF uniform, just keep the members coordinated.

I guess I've come to accept the TPU since so many posts have shown numerous examples and reasons to keep it, but how about a few modifications. By no means should this be the final version of the uniform.

And this: will somebody please establish a standard for the aviator shirt! It needs to be explicitly specified IN THE REGS!! Enough with the brands and cotton blends!!

And let me be on record to say that the Van Heusen aviator shirt sucks! Yes, I said it folks. It's too thin, I get little threads coming out all over the place, and 2 washes and it begins to wear. Try starching it and it's a nightmare. Van Heusen: you're on notice!

MIKE

This has been so done... And we've already beat the shorts and polo deal that was in the agenda to death.

Uniform discussion in this thread is OT anyway.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on August 11, 2008, 04:57:15 PM
This has been so done... And we've already beat the shorts and polo deal that was in the agenda to death.

Uniform discussion in this thread is OT anyway.

OK, then let's see this in the proper direction...

Name three policies you would like to see the Major General enact or support?  (Let's keep it uniformfrei)

Here are mine...

1) Expanded Public Affairs at the Community level.  A CAP that is a part of the community, be that through an outreach to General Aviation or even to sister organziations like the Coast Gard Auxiliary.

2) A unified effective safety program that would be more than volumes of paper and "lip service."  Prehaps a reward system for safe aviators, ground team and Cadet Programs more than a certificate or ribbon-like award.

3) An Aerospace Education out-reach that furthers the Elementrary School program.  I am of the opinion that "getting them young," both for CAP and for General Aviation, will reap benefits for us all.  Middle School is proving to be too late for such an approach.  Elementary school aged children still see what we do as almost magical.  The focus on science and math will also improve our education system.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Reconfirmation and focus of CAP's true operational missions in Emergency services.

Streamline effort of regulation inconsistencies and conflicts.

Discontinue SUI's.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Excellent...
Quote from: Eclipse on August 11, 2008, 05:24:27 PM
Consolidation and reconfirmation of CAP true operational missions in Emergency services.

This will be key to interoperability.  Still, I should hope some room is made for "adapting" to new missions.  The Major General is keen on interoperability, at least based on what she supported in several speeches.  I recall working even with private firms, like the Weather Channel.

QuoteStreamline effort of regulation inconsistencies and conflicts.
This too, is needed, I should think that there are enough folks out there, even in this forum, that can start that process. 

QuoteDiscontinue SUI's.
Really?  Explain more fully?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 11, 2008, 05:27:31 PM
QuoteDiscontinue SUI's.
Really?  Explain more fully?

They are just a distraction and additional burden on commanders and staff, with little return on the
additional effort and background noise.

A 50-page document that details the lack of manpower available to a respective unit doesn't
change the situation, and just results in a lot of units with check-box staffers because someone
said "x" was required.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

You hit it, I just got done reviewing the last SUI Docs from all of my units, and there was a lot of nonsense about areas not being staff, and on a couple of occasions they actually referenced a wing staff officer as the regulatory requirement. 

For instance, Finding- Unit has not appointed an Aerospace Education Officer, this is required per Capt. John Smith DA, ILWG.

A wing staffer, or even the wing commander "saying" that you need to have this reads to me "should" a supplement saying you will reads to me "shall".

If we had better trained, qualified IG's there would be a whole different issue but currently IG's are as documented outside of thread as going rogue and investigating without proper cause, issuing findings where there are hardly observations, and citing the regs incorrectly or not at all as a basis for their findings.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

dwb

Quote from: IceNine on August 11, 2008, 05:46:45 PM...but currently IG's are as documented outside of thread as going rogue and investigating without proper cause, issuing findings where there are hardly observations, and citing the regs incorrectly or not at all as a basis for their findings.

All IGs? ;D

Edited: I give you a hard time for generalizing, but I have seen SUI reports that I didn't think were weighted correctly.  The key, like all things in CAP, is training.

Unfortunately, finding talented IGs is just as difficult as finding talented personnel for any other position.  That doesn't mean we abolish the cadet program because it's hard to find good CPs, but it does mean there will be some variance in quality.

Major Carrales

How do you think the Major General might best mitigate these issues?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 11, 2008, 05:10:53 PM
Name three policies you would like to see the Major General enact or support?  (Let's keep it uniformfrei)

1) The development of a professional fundraising department/organization that would focus on developing recurring contributions each year.

We currently base our organizations budget and programs off "gimme" money from the American taxpayer and membership dues.  To me, this isn't a good way to ensure fiscal security for our organization.  We can't just sit around and "hope" that someone will give us money, we need to actively and agressively pursue it.  We need to spend money to make money.

A significant increase in donations/contributions would enable some of the other ones.

2) A start-up kit for all new squadrons

What is each new squadron missing?  Money.  Money for things like uniforms, facilities, ribbons, equipment, etc.  If we put together a squadron "starter kit" I think it would make a huge difference.  It could include;
a) Recruiting brochures
b) Needed forms
c) Personnel file folders
d) Laptop/printer
e) "starter ribbons" like 10 of ea. Curry, Arnold, Feik, WB, Membership, BOD, etc.
f) $500.00-$1000.00 starter fund
g) miscellaneous

What better way to ensure that a squadron gets off on the right foot than to provide them with everything they'd need to start one?

3) Local Unit Funding

Again, the only unfunded level of CAP is where everything actually happens.  It would benefit the units greatly to recive an annual stipend of say $1000.00 for purchase of new equipment, payment of bills, field trips, etc.

4) Realignment of NHQ Staff/More open spots:  Currently there are 3 people working the CP shop at NHQ.  There are twice that working in IT.  CP is a mission, IT is a support role.  CP supports half (or more) of CAPs membership.  There needs to be a better balance of workload vs. staffing. (Not a dig at the IT people, just an example).

5) A push to rectify out of date regulations and manuals

There are so many regs and manuals that are out of date, aren't relevant anymore, or contain so many errors, ambiguities/contradictions that there needs to be an overhaul.  Heck, you could probably even get rid of most of them.

I think that part of this lies in the fact that regulation changes need NB approval and to put an ammendment for 60+ people to vote on one sentence is a waste of time.  The paid NHQ employees that manage these programs should have the lattitude to modify regulations that need to be (so long as the program itself isn't changed.)

But right now, I think we need to play "catch up."  Our specialty track pamplets are not up to date, our uniform manual is out of date - dramatically, our manuals are not "user friendly."

There are some of my ideas...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 11, 2008, 06:39:26 PM

3) Local Unit Funding

Again, the only unfunded level of CAP is where everything actually happens.  It would benefit the units greatly to recive an annual stipend of say $1000.00 for purchase of new equipment, payment of bills, field trips, etc.

I had a prominent person in my area ask about the funding budget for our unit.  He has assumed that our unit got funds from the State Level...he was suprised to discover that all of the things we had been accomplishing were done without lateral funding with lots coming out of members pockets or small donations given to cadets.

"Wow!!!" He commented, "You did all this with nothing? Imagine what could be done if they gave you something!"

Even 200 dollars could be put to good use in our unit.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

stratoflyer

I am seeing some really good ideas here. One thing I would like to see is traveling CAP educators. Example: Someone who travels the wing giving lectures on ways of submitting paperwork or organizing training weekends. Instead of holding one event once a year far from most units, this guys (gal) would be flown around helping individual groups and large squadrons.

By the way, I like the way this thread is going.

One question: How do we get these ideas up to the good General?

CAP Producer

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 11, 2008, 07:20:17 PM
I am seeing some really good ideas here. One thing I would like to see is traveling CAP educators. Example: Someone who travels the wing giving lectures on ways of submitting paperwork or organizing training weekends. Instead of holding one event once a year far from most units, this guys (gal) would be flown around helping individual groups and large squadrons.

By using the chain of command (your Unit/CC to your Group/CC then) to your first Corporate Officer (your Wing Commander)

It's great to chat here but nothing (or almost nothing) happens without support from your Wing CC.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: CAP Producer on August 11, 2008, 07:30:30 PM

By using the chain of command (your Unit/CC to your Group/CC then) to your first Corporate Officer (your Wing Commander)

It's great to chat here but nothing (or almost nothing) happens without support from your Wing CC.

Well said, Sir.  We discuss alot here, sometimes the "powers that be" read and are "influenced" by a good idea posted or by the reactions to bad ones.  In fact, I think some come here and post thinking just that.  I even think that tends to fuel the theatrics that happens here from time to time.  To everyone in that regard, post professionally...clearly and free from too much agendism.  Be yourself, true to your beliefs and post as would would speak to a person.  The worth of your point will come through.

To the various trolls, answer them with respectful temperence...you might just "kiss one" and turn them into a prince.  All the theatrics does is make CAP look bad.

But never forget, the proper channels exist to be used.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

May I suggest that we keep the thread going as it has, then continue to intelligently add to it. 

We pick a cut off of a date or number of items to present. 

Once we reach the cutoff, we distill and enumerate each item such as jimmydeanno did on his post.

We get a logical format I would then suggest a delegation present this up the appropriate state chains. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: 1st Lt FAT and FUZZY on August 11, 2008, 09:59:24 PM
May I suggest that we keep the thread going as it has, then continue to intelligently add to it. 

We pick a cut off of a date or number of items to present. 

Once we reach the cutoff, we distill and enumerate each item such as jimmydeanno did on his post.

We get a logical format I would then suggest a delegation present this up the appropriate state chains. 

I was hoping to take those issues and then distill the best into new threads.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

PhoenixRisen

I know it's been discussed many a time, but I'm curious... On the topic of better public affairs (and professionalism), what would it take to standardize a format for unit webpages?  By "unit", I'm really referring to NHQ all the way down to flights.  (Excluding the goCAP.com site, as recruiting sites generally look different.)

I'm about finished with my new squadron's site, and I went around sampling other units from across the US.  Some were outstanding, some were "eh" and some wanted to make me puke.  "This is how you're trying to sell CAP to the online community?!"

How would one go about requesting an IT change?  NB?  NEC?  (I'm honestly clueless as to these specifics.)

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 12, 2008, 12:36:17 AM
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on August 12, 2008, 12:29:57 AM

I'm about finished with my new squadron's site,...

Preview URL?

Not of the full site.  Don't have any space for it (CAWG IT regs won't allow your own domain [squadron, that is] 'till you've received your charter, and we're almost there).  We do have a "temporary" site up, linked through our group's webpage.

It's nearly identical to what the full site will look like, though with a few minor tweaks.

http://gp7.cawg.cap.gov/school/esco_home.htm

IceNine

Best option for the type of thing you are trying to do, is design it, and put it to work.

Start with wing and design their site, and setup a packet site for squadrons to use.

If you can work out the bugs eventually it will catch on, just like WMU and SIMS

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

FYI your site hates firefox, I can tell that already.  I take that back there are some alignment issues for the site you just sent us

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PhoenixRisen

Just a side note on all of the disclaimers I put on the site which emphasize that we're not an official squadron yet:

That's required by CAWG/IT for a non-official squadron/group/flight to have a website.  The only way you can get your own domain (e.g. my squadron will be http://sq714.cawg.cap.gov) is if you've recieved your charter, which, as stated before, we haven't yet).

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: IceNine on August 12, 2008, 12:51:21 AM
FYI your site hates firefox, I can tell that already.  I take that back there are some alignment issues for the site you just sent us

Is that because the banner loaded slowly?  If so, it's not a firefox thing.  I uploaded the banner in .BMP format (and not JPEG or PNG like I should have).

If not - why do you say that?

Edit - Nevermind.  I see it.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: IceNine on August 12, 2008, 12:50:54 AM
Best option for the type of thing you are trying to do, is design it, and put it to work.

Start with wing and design their site, and setup a packet site for squadrons to use.

If you can work out the bugs eventually it will catch on, just like WMU and SIMS

I've basically copied CAP.gov's format, with a few minor tweaks.  I'm not too web-savvy, but I think it would definitely workout if someone knows how to stick this design into a packet site for distribution.

Eclipse

If we're talking about a basic, informational "contact" page for each unit, fine - better a unit have something than nothing at all, but if you're talking about NHQ dictating the full format and content of a respective unit's website, no.

We'd wind up losing a lot of great sites in favor of standardization, or units members would simply do their own thing anyway.

NHQ does not have the manpower to manage something on that scale (nor the IT resources).

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2008, 02:06:07 AM
If we're talking about a basic, informational "contact" page for each unit, fine - better a unit have something than nothing at all, but if you're talking about NHQ dictating the full format and content of a respective unit's website, no.

We'd wind up losing a lot of great sites in favor of standardization, or units members would simply do their own thing anyway.

NHQ does not have the manpower to manage something on that scale (nor the IT resources).

Format?  Yes.  Content?  Not at all.

I'm envisioning (as described above) a template that can be distributed to individual units.  Once you get the template, you simply fill in information specific to your squadron.  If you're squadron doesn't have a webmaster, one would be appointed for each squadron and update the information as normal.

I know there are a ton of awesome websites out there, but fact is (if you can prove me wrong on this, be my guest), the number of horribly-prepared & coded sites far outnumbers the amazing ones (or squadrons that don't even have a site).

What does that say to the public?  To many, a website is the thing which forms their first impression of CAP. 

YMMV.

MIKE

This is getting a bit too random.  It would have been fine if it stuck to the congrats.
Mike Johnston

arajca

I haven't met her nor have I heard her speak personally. My only knowledge of her is second and third hand. Everyone seems to think she is great, but I haven't seen the one thing CAP has needed for a long time - a clear direction. I have seen some goals and ideas, but they are not really clear.  Perhaps now that she is the National Commander, we'll see something more concrete.

There is a huge percentage of the membership that wants to take CAP somewhere better, but there has been no guiding hand to direct this energy and desire. As a result, we have alot of in fighting and disagreements and have basically stood still, despite expending alot of energy. If she can harness this energy and drive, her tour could be HUGE in terms of making CAP a better, more effective organization.

I think we are at a precipice now and if she cannot focus CAP's energy, CAP will probably fold within 10-15 years. If it takes that long.

SarDragon

My question in return - who's going to pay for it? The AF used to have Circuit Rider courses that were available to CAP members. They went away, in large part due to lack of funding. "No bucks - no Buck Rogers."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

I think out of all the problems in the organization the one's that are most frustrating are purely administrative.  Things like inconsistency in reg's, outdated training materials, etc.  Those things are relatively easy to correct however they are very time consuming, so likely to receive the least attention.

I personally would like to see a review of all of our training courses as they are currently, and bring them in line with what the membership truly needs to get the job done.  Keeping in mind that a vast majority of our new members are largely untrained, it has been said that distance learning may be the most feasible option.

I would like to see a task group charged with evaluating available search technology and determining what best meets the needs of our missions. Both in flight and on the ground.  I would like to see a national level public affairs campaign designed to realistically sell our capabilities to our potential customers, and the general public.  The national level campaign should develop partnerships with 3 and 4 letter agencies, from the top down.

All of this of course is secondary to a well designed funding campaign, that would procure funds for the operational levels to be able to implement these sales

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pumbaa

Icenine is correct .. administrative and funding.. of course I will add VG too!  >:D

I would say that the position the General has been in since.. well HWNWNBN got forced out has been rather unique.

Remember she was an interim commander, who did not know if she would be elected to commander.  For her to make any major changes during this time potentially could have been folly.

So what she has been doing is building good will, getting a better pulse on what is happening with CAP from the position at the top... getting her team in place and knowing her, and most likely using this time to build a logical strategy.  Overall I think she did a good job thus far.. in building hope for the troops...

Now is the time to see if the rubber meets the road.  If her ears are open to the rank and file, we will soon see it..

Eclipse

That's a good analogy, she has been a good steward of the organization she inherited, has handled the myriad of
repairs needed from previous administrations without any public animosity or arrogance, and in general go the job done for
us without her own mandate.

Now its time for here to put together her plan and run with it.

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

Tim Medeiros

First, congrats to the General.

Second, while I was reading through the posts I noticed something that stuck out in my mind, this isn't meant to pick on anyone or any directorate, just my $0.02.

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 11, 2008, 06:39:26 PM
4) Realignment of NHQ Staff/More open spots:  Currently there are 3 people working the CP shop at NHQ.  There are twice that working in IT.  CP is a mission, IT is a support role.  CP supports half (or more) of CAPs membership.  There needs to be a better balance of workload vs. staffing. (Not a dig at the IT people, just an example).
If you go by workload vs staffing, one could argue that we actually need more IT personnel.  Yes, CP does work a mission of CAP and services approximately half of the volunteer membership, but IT supports all of the missions and all of the membership PLUS NHQ employees and CAP-USAF.

Of course, same could be said for all of the support areas, Logistics, Membership Development, Member Services, Professional Development, Finance etc.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

afgeo4

I would like to see Gen Courter travel throughout the country more, focusing on finding out the true state (and range of states) of CAP and its members.

I would like to second the revamp of Public Affairs and IT. I think our image needs to be stronger. Anyone know why we have to be the best kept secret?

I would also like to second the issue of funding at local units. Given the way we operate, squadrons and flights should have the most funding, followed by groups, then wings. Region and national headquarters need the least of funding since they do the least of operations and have the least of members. Our dues money needs to allow us to operate better, more proficiently.

I would like to applaud Gen Courter on her movement toward real estate ownership. I think CAP needs more stability in that department. I think it holds us back a lot (almost all squadrons in my group are completely unsure if they will have meeting spaces next year).

I would like to see Vanguard issues straightened out. They need to be our supplier, yes, but not our only supplier. All eggs in one basket is never a good idea.

I would like to see a real, working disaster relief program in CAP. Not just a bunch of people responding and hoping they'll be of use. Let's start training for running shelters, running logistical support. Let's buy trucks (cube vans?). Let's buy used ambulances and turn them into communications centers. Let's get real support to places that need it and let's do it in a strong, professional and organized fashion.
GEORGE LURYE

IceNine

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 18, 2008, 12:47:19 AM
I would like to see Gen Courter travel throughout the country more, focusing on finding out the true state (and range of states) of CAP and its members.

I don't know if she can.  Has she missed a wing or region conference since the disposal of the previous commander?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

afgeo4

Quote from: IceNine on August 18, 2008, 03:33:10 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on August 18, 2008, 12:47:19 AM

I don't know if she can.  Has she missed a wing or region conference since the disposal of the previous commander?

You're right. I guess I didn't mean her specifically. Maybe her staff.
GEORGE LURYE