How Valuable is CAP to the Air Force?

Started by Eagle400, May 07, 2008, 02:36:28 AM

Short Field

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 07, 2008, 02:29:39 PM
[
Quote from: Short Field on May 07, 2008, 04:47:30 AM
I was briefed on CAP while in basic training.  Mainly what CAP was and that if you ever happened to see one in uniform wearing officer rank, you were suppose to salute them.
Interesting, since AD military personnel are NOT required to render customs and courtesies to CAP members - but can if they desire.   CAP members, however, are required to render to AD when grade-appropriate.

When your Training Instructor tells you something - you just take it for granted.  Something about a "slick-sleeve" vs Zebra Stripes.  Of course that was many years ago - I keep hearing that kids are different today.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

DNall

^ kinda like missiles mean no more dogfighting huh?

Quote from: Smithsonia on May 07, 2008, 06:04:06 PM
SO, for our own future, we should be flexible, nimble, and adroitly helpful to the country's needs.
That's always true.

QuoteWe should:
1. Become more directly connected to all things Homeland Security wise.
2. Lobby for funds through HS. and support their funding requests.
3. Do what is needed for the Air Force, certainly -- even as their need of us dwindles.
4. Get better and more professional at everything we do.
5. Expand our tasking to include things we don't yet even think about.
6. Work to fill every void and hole in Homeland Security.
7. Help establish and expand our culture, with its rich history into HS which has little and varied cultures and history.
Those items in & of themselves aren't bad, but the same mission dwindle you fear with AF would be even more pronounced with DHS. Plus, does already represent a threat to DHS funding of their own internal air resources. If anything, DHS would want the disassembly of CAP & redistribution of our resources to states. There's a plan for everything in the govt, and one does happen to exist to do just such a thing.

All I'm saying is certainly we can & should aid with the HLS mission to the extent we can without selling our soul, but there really is a much less there than most people seem to think. It's not the answer for the future of CAP.

As far as the dwindle of AF missions. Yes of course we adapt to other ways to serve that sponsor, we should be aggressively doing that already. But, if the time comes when we're no longer useful to them, then we need to accept that & shut the org down. The life & survival of CAP is not a mission. Accomplishing these AF objectives for the country is.

Smithsonia

DNall said:
"All I'm saying is certainly we can & should aid with the HLS mission to the extent we can without selling our soul, but there really is a much less there than most people seem to think. It's not the answer for the future of CAP"

Ed O'Brien says;
I've had many jobs in my career. So has CAP. Institutions do NOT have "souls". People do. Confusing the two is detrimental to both. I work for many institutions designed for preservation. Historical Societies are great. Here, in CAP, I was hoping to find a bit more progressive thinking. Gill Robb Wilson was very progressive. Gill Robb Wilson was a "sign up and I'll figure it out on the backside mission entrepreneur". I was hoping to find more GRW's and fewer uniform models. If CAP doesn't get the mission right and doesn't seek its "soul" by performing missions... then CAP will be archived and produce nothing more than items for veneration. Don't forget the US Marshals institutional lethargy created the FBI, who then missed the opportunity though institutional restriction put on by Congress post Watergate, missed the chance to become the DEA too --  Meaning, there will be more UAVs, CAVs, and UCAVs. There will be fewer AF pilots bailing out and fewer Civilian Pilots lost in a 20,000 sq. mile search grid. If that's all we do... we'll get bored and die. We can't expect the country to pay for a retired military pilots flying club.

CAP is CAP... we have been US AF Aux for about 60 of our 66 years. Once again we ARE planes and volunteer Pilots (ground teams too) in search of vital missions. As in; "America, what can we do for you? You name it, we'll try it." There is much work to do. I don't care for which Federal, State, or Local institution I work as long as the work I volunteer for is necessary to my country. I suggest CAP define itself through missions not heraldry. Otherwise I can join Four Mile Historical Park down the street... as a docent and save the 30 mile drive to the airport.

I imagine there are good people on both sides of this argument. I await their input respectfully. ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

jimmydeanno

You know, I never looked at what I do for CAP and wondered..."How valuable am I to the USAF?"  I always asked myself, "Is what I am doing valuable to my community?"

My answer to that is what directs my actions and course in CAP.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JayT

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 08, 2008, 03:37:07 PM
You know, I never looked at what I do for CAP and wondered..."How valuable am I to the USAF?"  I always asked myself, "Is what I am doing valuable to my community?"

My answer to that is what directs my actions and course in CAP.

I agree completely.

I think CAP should try and........orient itself more towards local and community operations.

Americas Hometown Air Force!
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

DNall

Quote from: Smithsonia on May 08, 2008, 03:29:54 PM
I've had many jobs in my career. So has CAP. Institutions do NOT have "souls". People do. Confusing the two is detrimental to both. I work for many institutions designed for preservation. Historical Societies are great. Here, in CAP, I was hoping to find a bit more progressive thinking. Gill Robb Wilson was very progressive. Gill Robb Wilson was a "sign up and I'll figure it out on the backside mission entrepreneur". I was hoping to find more GRW's and fewer uniform models. If CAP doesn't get the mission right and doesn't seek its "soul" by performing missions... then CAP will be archived and produce nothing more than items for veneration. Don't forget the US Marshals institutional lethargy created the FBI, who then missed the opportunity though institutional restriction put on by Congress post Watergate, missed the chance to become the DEA too --  Meaning, there will be more UAVs, CAVs, and UCAVs. There will be fewer AF pilots bailing out and fewer Civilian Pilots lost in a 20,000 sq. mile search grid. If that's all we do... we'll get bored and die. We can't expect the country to pay for a retired military pilots flying club.

CAP is CAP... we have been US AF Aux for about 60 of our 66 years. Once again we ARE planes and volunteer Pilots (ground teams too) in search of vital missions. As in; "America, what can we do for you? You name it, we'll try it." There is much work to do. I don't care for which Federal, State, or Local institution I work as long as the work I volunteer for is necessary to my country. I suggest CAP define itself through missions not heraldry. Otherwise I can join Four Mile Historical Park down the street... as a docent and save the 30 mile drive to the airport.

First of all, CAP has been the Auxiliary of the Air Force, and AAF before that for all but a few months of its existence, and it was Gen Hap Arnold that gave it meaning. Mayor La Guardia that gave it life.

CAP cannot be a gun for hire on any mission that has some remote debatable utility to some part of any community, state, agency, or other part of the country. This is not a private club doing volunteer work. It's a govt funded institution with the primary purpose of supporting the country thru service to the AF domestic mission set.

This isn't about history, it's about living within your lane.

There is a massive amount of space for adaptability within that umbrella. Moving too far beyond that umbrella is a serious threat to the continued existence of the org. Outside of that is out of our lane. It's a threat to the mission set of other agencies that fight hard for their piece of the pie, and cause trouble for our sponsor. You can't just skip thru the world grabbing whatever mission you think we can do.

By the way, can you define for me exactly what mission profiles within HLS you think there are out there that work with light observation aircraft? There's some, but it's very narrow.

The fact is that when the need for CAP as a federal resource justified thru the AF budget goes away, CAP will close up shop. If some private volunteer flying club rises up in the void to do missions for whomever, then so be it, but that won't be CAP. We can't exist just because there are things we might be able to do for someone somewhere, it's not worth the investment. You can't bite the hand that feeds you just cause you're bored.

Smithsonia

DNall;
Staying in your lane? The lane will get narrower and eventually disappear due to reasons I've already discussed. Add to this that we have Emergency Search and Rescue in every county in our state. So they can/do handle most of the stuff that was once assigned to CAP.

The Air Force (all the military for that matter) and Red Cross, Coast Guard, etc.
Have experimental programs that are Beta test-sites, syllabus makers, templates, and mission modifiers. Take the example of Iraq and the Army's General Officer's Staff College in Ft. Leavenworth changing the war from the Force on Force Fight to Counter-Insurgency and the Surge as a recent example. If the Army can change Field Doctrine in one year -- We can too. I don't know what's going on at Maxwell, I am assuming that the change is apparent to them. AND, I'm not talking about blowing off the Air Force. I'm thinking they don't need us all that much anymore... if not now... soon. Of course we pick-up community outreach AE, AF inservice, Drug Reduction, Chaplin duties, etc. BUT, we need a think tank, out of the box, real world, one-stop-shopping experience for the FEDs, State, local Officials and policy makers. SO I think --  A Think Tank, I suppose. Don't forget we have many sponsors and not just one father. We owe the state, civilian Feds, Homeland Security, and even local airports our help... Not just the AF. The Air Force appreciates this and supports us when we do good in their name. And now for a real world instance:

Colorado has a huge and I mean huge Bark Beetle Problem. Bark beetles are killing 100's of millions of trees that will eventually burn throughout the West. The impending fires in the West will be bigger than anything any of us have ever seen. It will overwhelm every asset currently in the field. In this I'm not over-stating the problem by an inch. USGS is looking for survey help and tying in money from Forrest Service and a few other agencies. They are going to buy aerial assets from commercial firms. I think our Gisland could help. I've expressed this to 2 different commanders from States other than Colorado. Neither seemed much interested. I was NOT told the reasons so I don't know their thinking and I'm not second guessing them. Perhaps satellites are cheaper. Perhaps the Gisland can't do the job... I don't know anything more than I've stated.

At this time, I'm not sure if anything has been done. I'm not trying to embarrass anyone just stating a real problem and the only response I was privy too.

I'm not for burying our past, blurring our mission, burning our uniforms, or turning our backs on SAR. I am for advancing our mission, providing services where we are ready, willing and able, training as a professional first class response team. In other words: America How can We Help? Homeland Security what do you need? How can I be of greater service to CAP? How can CAP be of greater service to You!

SO, are we advancing to fill the current voids? I don't know. I ask the question. I don't get many answers. This includes DNall's "stay in the lane" comment. Elbowing for funds is well understood inside every big Federal Agency. You make your case, stand your ground, and if you don't get the funding... then you know what the system thinks. We're getting cut back. What does the system think? What we should do about it -- How valuable are we to all of America --is the discussion. Although I'm not trying to hijack this thread... maybe I just did.
With Regards;
ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Short Field

Quote from: DNall on May 08, 2008, 04:58:42 PM
CAP cannot be a gun for hire on any mission that has some remote debatable utility to some part of any community, state, agency, or other part of the country. This is not a private club doing volunteer work. It's a govt funded institution with the primary purpose of supporting the country thru service to the AF domestic mission set.

So Red Cross blood missions need to go away?

Things change, and organizations that don't adapt to these changes go away.  The primary justification for creating the USAF as a separate service was Strategic Bombing.   The charter for Strategic Air Command was based on Strategic Bombing.  Missions and requirements changed and SAC went away.

As SAR missions decline, CAP needs to find other missions that support the country or we will go the way of SAC.  That doesn't mean we doesn't mean we stop doing our traditional missions.  But we do need to find missions to allow for operational flying that is not totally funded by a TRAINING budget.  As our worth to other agencies increases, so does our support when it comes to budget time.  

The DOD budget process has the USAF submitting their requirements to the SECDEF for inclusion in the President's budget request to Congress. Congress adds and subtracts money and earmarks to the DOD budget based on what CONGRESS feels supports the nation best.  How the folks back in the home districts feel about particular programs DOES impact how the voting and earmarks goes.  Politics plays a major role in the budget - the more agencies (Federal, State, and Local) that feel you support them, the more support you get.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Smithsonia

Not that this is a CAP history thread but the following is appropriate. CAP began as an Office of Civilian Defense Organization. (Which is now Homeland Security) We moved to USAF Aux after the War. SEE BELOW From Wikipedia:
December 1, 1941
Administrative Order No.9
Establishing Civil Air Patrol
By virtue of the authority vested in me through my appointment as United States Director of the Office of Civilian Defense, through the Executive Order of the President creating said Office, dated May 20, 1941. I have caused to be created and organized a branch of this Office of volunteers for the purpose of enlisting and training personnel to aid in the national defense of the United States, designated as the Civil Air Patrol.

In conformity with said organization, Major General John F. Curry, U.S.A. Air Corps has been assigned to this office by the U.S. Army and designated by me as its National Commander. Said organization shall be formed as outlined in the attached chart, which is made a part of this Order as if written herein in full. The Civil Air Patrol shall carry out such Orders and directives as are issued to it by the Director of Civilian Defense. It shall be the duty and responsibility of the National Commander to see that the objectives and purposes and orders issued in conformity with the policy of this office are carried out and that all activities are reported regularly to the Director through the Aviation Aide.
All enlistments and appointments in the Civil Air Patrol may be disapproved by the Director of the Office of Civilian Defense.
/s/. F. H. LaGuardia
F. H. LaGuardia
U.S. Director of
Civilian Defense

CAP didn't get the SAR Portfolio in it's first year. Although it did participate in many searches. CAP picked up the specific tasking in March of '43, if I remember right. My point being is Homeland Security/Civilian Defense is not against our original purpose, antithetical to our history, or out of bounds as to our future.
WIth regards;
ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

DNall

Quote from: Short Field on May 08, 2008, 06:35:46 PM
Quote from: DNall on May 08, 2008, 04:58:42 PM

So Red Cross blood missions need to go away?
Generally? Yeah I think so. Red Cross should be paying a contractor for that. I don't dislike the Red Cross, but I'm not a huge fan either. I give my blood to the mil blood program. I'm not sure how we got caught up in blood/organ transport, or if any of that is still going on to any extent these days, but I'm not sure it's really within our mission set. I understand if our folks need to fly prof then why not toss the stuff in 7 let them cover the expense. To that end, why not toss in some mail or commercial passengers? Aside from FAA rules, where's the line there?

QuoteThings change, and organizations that don't adapt to these changes go away.  The primary justification for creating the USAF as a separate service was Strategic Bombing.   The charter for Strategic Air Command was based on Strategic Bombing.  Missions and requirements changed and SAC went away.

EXACTLY. SAC successfully completed its mission & became obsolete. That's a success on SAC's part, not a failure. If the situation comes about that the same thing happens to CAP, then it should go away as well.

QuoteAs SAR missions decline, CAP needs to find other missions that support the country or we will go the way of SAC.  That doesn't mean we doesn't mean we stop doing our traditional missions.  But we do need to find missions to allow for operational flying that is not totally funded by a TRAINING budget.  As our worth to other agencies increases, so does our support when it comes to budget time.

I'm really not saying the lane is SaR & SaR only. Of course we continue our traditional missions, and honestly there's room for expansion there, but yes there is some point in the future where UAVs will no doubt put light observation aircraft out of business. That is equally true within HLS.

I do believe we need to be innovative & aggressive in taking initiative to find new missions for the future. However, those may or may not involve flight hours. There is dramatic space for expansion of our mission set under the AF umbrella. There is not a whole lot we can do outside that which also keeps us alive.

QuoteThe DOD budget process has the USAF submitting their requirements to the SECDEF for inclusion in the President's budget request to Congress. Congress adds and subtracts money and earmarks to the DOD budget based on what CONGRESS feels supports the nation best.  How the folks back in the home districts feel about particular programs DOES impact how the voting and earmarks goes.  Politics plays a major role in the budget - the more agencies (Federal, State, and Local) that feel you support them, the more support you get.

Seriously... having been a congressional staffer, I think I'm pretty familiar with how budget allocations work.

If you're invaluable to one agency, you'll get support from them. If you do a little job for a bunch of agencies, then you're off their radar. Even if DHS used CAP extensively, they would NOT support further budget allocation to CAP. They would support allocation to DHS for spending on missions that could utilize CAP. That's fine for a few flying hours, it does nothing to fund NHQ/Reg/Wgs or acquire planes/radios/vans/etc. It probably does very little to fund training.

Again, DHS doesn't want CAP. I'm not saying they wouldn't use us, and in a perfect world they'd make decent use of us, but that's not reality. What they want is a bunch more helicopters, PC12/twins, mid-range jets, & a few UAVs. All outfitted with a great deal of hi-tech gear, and all actively involved in law enforcement with their full-time LE crews operating them at their own beck & call. Anything that would give congress an alternative to giving them that funding is a threat.

DNall

Let me try to clarify a couple point briefly.

CAP is like SAC. The AF lives on, but when the SAC mission is no longer then SAC is no longer. The mission of CAP is not to stay alive at all costs doing whatever anyone needs as long as it's theoretically of service to someone.

CAP was crack pot idea when it was established. It would not have lasted a year if it were civilian volunteers/civil defense/etc. None of that was remotely legitimate or meaningful at that point or any other up to today. It was when the AF stepped in to assume control of that silly program & turn it to useful ends that CAP became a meaningful and lasting thing. It would perhaps be easier if it'd been the AF's idea in the first place, but it doesn't really matter in practical effect. From that day forward, CAP has always existed to serve the country thru the AF. That is our soul, and we cannot survive in any form w/o that remaining true.

If a point comes where CAP can no longer serve the AF, at least enough to justify the expenditure, then CAP can & should be dissolved. At that point the aircraft & other resources should be redistributed to states or other federal agencies that can make use of them. There will still be volunteer opportunities, but there need not be a CAP.

Now, while UAVs, Sats, and other technology certainly will at some stage put the manned light recon aircraft out of business, that really has nothing to do with service to the country thru the AF. That tech advance is just as true for SaR for the AF as it is of environmental survey or HLS missions. To be obsolete in one is also to be obsolete in the other.

In theory, CAP can at some future point move into that UAV world as well, though that seems unlikely at this point in history. And another option is CAP can move into other facets of service to the AF. Certainly both instances can be true.

Let me give you an example I've breezed by a couple times. The AF stood up 8AF I think it was last year. This is the new cyber command that seeks to defend infrastructure from cyber attack, to partake in the online intel world, etc. An AF study of the situation recommended a volunteer corps of IT folks based on the CAP model. My response being, why based on CAP instead of just being part of CAP.

VSAF is in its infancy right now, and focused on mil bases, but I think there's a serious opportunity there to expand our mission set. I don't mean passing out basketballs, but I do mean professionals telecommuting to work on AF projects.

A lot of states have SDFs (state defense forces - uniformed civilian volunteer portion of the national guard), and some are much better than others. They utilize a lot of retired vets that want to continue to serve. There's some of what they're doing for their parent guard commands that CAP can also do for the AF. The CGAux augmentation model is fairly similar.

Augmentation is one thing, it's not the only one.

Certainly we need to be more involved in disaster response, and that's both natural & man made. We have the capability to roll right behind a storm & survey damage from air/grd with feed direct to policy makers so resources can be deployed to the right places & recovery can get under way. We have the ability to run airborne P25 comms after emergency responder repeaters are off the air. There's quite a lot we can do in the field.

That does require getting fully up to speed with resource typing/credentialing, not just IS100-800. It's going to be a significant challenge & paradigm shift for our members to deal with being qualified at that level. Most are not going to be able to deal with it. We'll have to bring in a whole new batch of driven folks, which really shouldn't be hard once the mission is there.

None of that requires working for DHS though. In a disaster, DHS is not in charge of the airspace, the 1AF/CC is for all military AND civilian traffic. The AF has a significant stake/responsibilities in disaster response. That's where CAP needs to tailor our capabilities, and will most certainly be the path of least resistance with the highest payoff.

And there's more than disaster too. There's domestic airlift. As you probably know, there's been a constant squabble btwn AF & Army Aviation about control of fixed wing. The Army, particularly the Guard, has a moderate number of light fixed wing aircraft. There's some space there for CAP to pick up some mission. Overall control of air logistics is with the AF, and anything that keeps more fixed wing aviation w/ AF & away from Army is something the AF will gladly spend budget dollars on. Obviously there's a limit to what we can do, so Army aviation shouldn't feel too threatened, but there's some work there if we want to grab it.

I'm sure there are many other ideas too. What I'm saying is there is a lot of space to evolve within the AF & DoD. Where the alternatives outside DoD are caught between budget fights & threats to agency budgets, and they approach selling out for anything that produces flying hours. I'm all for flying, but it's just a tool to do a job, it's not THE job.

I said before, I think CAP needs to be aggressive & innovative in taking the initiative on these missions. To the extent CAP sees it's mission set drying up. It needs to first look at the qualifications/standards/training we're doing with our members; and beyond that it needs to seek out mission by taking idea to Air Staff & lobbying up, not by finding anyone willing to pay for a few flight hours.

mikeylikey

^ DNALL I have to disagree.  Times change, and CAP will change with them.  I have seen the founding documents, held them, read them, and must say you are just a little off base with your third paragraph. 

As far as CAP being valuable to the USAF, I would it is.  Is CAP relevant to the USAF's missions, I would say somewhat. 

Does CAP need to find other sources of missions.....yes.  IF we don't then when USAF changes its missions like it is doing with cybercommand (which I am on a working group to get based in Pennsylvania) then we will be left in the background. 

No one knows whats going to happen in the future, five years from now, there may not even be an AF.   :'(
What's up monkeys?

Smithsonia

The Civilian Pilot Training Program was founded the same time as CAP. It was a sister organization. We were often Co-located and shared aircraft, officers, and staff. CPT is gone. Where did they go? SEE HERE!
www.dossaviation.com  or http://dossifs.com/ Meaning when the AF got tired of CPT (no longer supported) it became a commercial enterprise. I realize there were interim steps... but that's the Cliff Notes Version. DNall -- If you're for letting CAP go the way of the Dodo Bird... How about the rest of us start an Academy for profit to teach for money what CAP used to teach for free? We could co-locate in Pueblo CO. right next to Doss Academy. That way, everything old is new again.

Nope, I'd like to save the Patrol... I'm kinda Old School. No matter where the school is located and who it's working for, even Homeland Security.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

mikeylikey

^ Thats real interesting.  I did not know USAF outsourced pilot training.  Is that really tax payer friendly?  I wonder how much more they get to do what the USAF should be doing.  They are contractors, so you know they get 20 to 30 percent more than what it would cost the USAF to do it. 

Perhaps CAP should bring back the Aviation Cadet Program from the 1940's.  WE train them like that aviation school does, then they go become a pilot.  I would love to see that mission added to CAP. 
What's up monkeys?

Smithsonia

I think that our Professional Development should be codified and professionally taught at a (CAP) Academy. Being that Colorado Springs/Pueblo Colorado area is the center for Space Command, Homeland Security Air Force Headquarters, Cheyenne Mountain, Air Force Academy, etc. Here is as good a place as any. BUT being that I'm a measly Lieutenant I'll have to turn that idea over to bigger brains and more braids than me and mine.

Border Patrol, Coast Guard, Sherriff Dept's., Local Cops, FBI, Search and Rescue Teams, all need the knowledge we (CAP) has. Don't forget CAP taught most of Rocky Mountain Rescue what they know and most of their highest ranking members were first in the CAP. SO -- The Training Cadre could be fielded from the retiring AF and local CAP SAR geniuses (AND I don't mean that in a snide way -- we did a lot of SAR around here and still do a bunch) We'd pay the trainers and create a center of gravity real deal Homeland Security Air Resources/CAP Service Academy. CAP Certification would be prescient and necessary for advancement in any inland air rescue service -- civilian or otherwise. To that point...

I used to work for the NRA and American Medical Assoc. Both of these groups set about (in the first half of the 20th Century) to pick off every mom and pop certification in the US - they could find. Such that eventually Medical Doctors decided who gets to be a Barber for instance, who gets to be a nurse and a cosmetologist, what hospital is certified, How health insurance is paid (to whom and how much). The NRA gets to decide who can shoot/carry a gun. The NRA certifies people, teachers, ranges, guns, dealers, ammunition, etc. This is a general template that should be considered as a survival strategy for CAP. Certification standards is a great source of income, sustainability, and professional pride and competence for each organization.

As I said, bigger brains with more braid now have the idea. The measly Lt. (me) retires from this discussion. Although I could sure be of service teaching history, creative writing, PAO, IO, and Public Relations skills... I've been doing that for 45 years. I'm retiring from those fields (media-side) in a year or so... so I'm available to CAP or Homeland Security.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

RiverAux

QuoteA lot of states have SDFs (state defense forces - uniformed civilian volunteer portion of the national guard),
Correction--- SDFs are state military forces separate from the National Guard and are fully subject the military laws of that that state that are similar to the UCMJ.  They are not civilians. 

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on May 11, 2008, 03:38:04 AM
QuoteA lot of states have SDFs (state defense forces - uniformed civilian volunteer portion of the national guard),
Correction--- SDFs are state military forces separate from the National Guard and are fully subject the military laws of that that state that are similar to the UCMJ.  They are not civilians. 

I don't really think you can compare CAP to the 'SDFs.'

I've had some limited interaction with local SDF guys...........and I'm not exactly sure what they do.

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

mikeylikey

Quote from: JThemann on May 11, 2008, 04:31:08 PM
I've had some limited interaction with local SDF guys...........and I'm not exactly sure what they do.

That is their problem.....some don't even know what to do themselves. 
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Dnall was bringing it up in the context of SDFs that basically perform augmentation missions for their state's NG in the context of CAP performing similar missions for the AF (and CG Aux for CG).  This is a very fair comparison and happens to be one I've made myself.

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on May 11, 2008, 05:33:26 PM

Dnall was bringing it up in the context of SDFs that basically perform augmentation missions for their state's NG in the context of CAP performing similar missions for the AF (and CG Aux for CG).  This is a very fair comparison and happens to be one I've made myself.

Again......I'm not sure.

A quick look at the New York Guard webpage makes it seem like that they do a lot of useful work, but it seems like there's a large number of 'Headquarters' units.

I also don't believe that, besides VSAF and a few local agreements, CAP augments the Air Force.

I've said it before. The greatest use for CAP will not come from 'augmenting' the Air Force. It will come from serving our local community with our Air and Ground assests. I'd much rather work for my local town then an Air Force unit.