Main Menu

Civil Air Patrol Times?

Started by skippytim, April 21, 2008, 07:57:40 AM

skippytim

Hey Everybody!
I've really been wanting to get more involved lately in the CAP Community, so I'm starting to plan for a new unofficial CAP newspaper/magazine. I was thinking something called the Civil Air Patrol Times (i've already registered the domain name  :)) and it would be published by both CAP Cadets & Senior Members hopefully from across the nation.

I think it would be a good way for squadrons to be able to shed some light on their cadets and activities at a squadron level; you know? I imagine it will be a web newspaper or magazine, and maybe once every 2 weeks (or maybe every week eventually) we'll have a 4-6 page PDF Print copy avaliable for free if anyone wants to print them out and put them at the squadron or something.

If anyone is interested in getting involved; both Cadets and Senior Members, I could really use some help on this one. Post here or send me a PM, either way we'll get in touch. You can also throw out what you think of the idea in here.

Thanks!

CadetProgramGuy

Umm Devil's advocate speaking.......What about using the Civil Air Patrol name?  do you have permission?  I would hate to have you shut down before you even get started.....

SarDragon

I think CAP had (or at least had) the lock on CAP Times. IIRC, that used to be the name of the monthly rag, before it became CAP News. In any event, you will probably need permission to use the name for that sort of operation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

skippytim

Like I said, I'm still working out all the details. I'll shoot an email to national to check; but I don't think there's that tight of restrictions on the name, is there? I mean lookie up here; it's CAP Talk. And then we have Air Force Times and Navy Times. But just for my protection I suppose I'll shoot NHQ a message.

So, anyone interested?

James Shaw

CAP Talk does not have the direct Civil Air Patrol in its name. National is getting a bit more strict about those things.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Gunner C

The name "Civil Air Patrol Times" was indeed the name of the monthly that was published before the "Civil Air Patrol News" was begun.  IIRC it was published by the same company as the Air Force Times, Navy Times, and the Army Times.  You could have two corporations after you - both may have claims to that name.  I'd at least consult a legal beagle before moving forward.  Your wing/group/squadron JA might be willing to help.

GC

Pylon

By federal law, Civil Air Patrol, Inc. has the exclusive rights to the use of the words "Civil Air Patrol" and other associated words and emblems.  If you use "Civil Air Patrol" in the title of your paper or blog or whatever, and CAP asks you to stop, you have to.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

skippytim

Okay, I just got off the phone with national. They said it wouldn't be too big of a deal to use the name, but would prefer it if I called it captimes.

So I'll just register captimes.net (since .com is taken) and get to work!

Is anyone interested in helping? Even if you don't have any skills at web design or writing, you could still help with planning and ideas. Our first issue will probably be June.

CAPLAW

JohnKachenmeister

I can write an article or two.  What format will CAPTimes be?  Magazine or tabloid newspaper?  Or strictly an on-line publication?
Another former CAP officer

skippytim

Awsome guys. What I'm thinking is that it'll be in a newspaper format; with stories posted on the web as they come up and a bi-weekly (every 2 weeks) PDF Copy avaliable for print to display at Squadron Level. I'll PM you guys. Anyone else?

mile_high1218

You know I remember back when I was a cadet in the late 90's we had an official CAP newsletter that came in a newspaper format every two or three months.  It was cool to read and see what was going on in various parts of the country.  We always called it 'The Rag' at Air Academy Comp.  I loved getting the 'bargains' out of the classifieds.  Sigh, those were the days right there. 

Duke Dillio

I get the gossip column.....  No wait, I don't get any gossip over here....  hmmmm.....  ok, I got the sports section.....  yay me

flyerthom

Quote from: sargrunt on April 26, 2008, 06:05:30 AM
I get the gossip column.....  No wait, I don't get any gossip over here....  hmmmm.....  ok, I got the sports section.....  yay me

I get to do the photos for the swimsuit edition  >:D
TC

LtCol White

Quote from: flyerthom on April 26, 2008, 07:10:55 AM
Quote from: sargrunt on April 26, 2008, 06:05:30 AM

I get to do the photos for the swimsuit edition  >:D

OK, now I'm scared. A CAP Swimsuit section? Better get the buy-in of greenpeace. They might have the copyright to use of the images of whales.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

CadetProgramGuy

Hey . I'll Play.

I'll be the ugly one in the corner.

wingnut

I get to do the personals, and  movie reviews :clap:

maverik

GROUND POUNDER section is me
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

SarDragon

Quote from: colorguard_rifle on April 27, 2008, 08:01:50 PM
GROUND POUNDER section is me

C/SSGT
Ground Team 3
Color Guard 2nd Rifle
GROUND POUNDER AND AIRCREW WANNABE

Come back when you have more BTDT time. Maybe 4 or 5 years worth.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

skippytim

Okay, well I've set up a planning forum to get things moving with this so if you want to help out, send me a PM or reply here.

Appreciate it guys  ;)