Main Menu

Supply Inventory

Started by SSgt Rudin, March 20, 2008, 05:24:05 AM

Slim

Couple of comments.

I'm using SIMS with Access 2007 with no issues.  Just make sure you save it in compatibility mode for 97-03, and you'll be fine.

SIMS is integrated with CAPWATCH.  As long as you have permissions for CAPWATCH downloads, you can populate your database that way.  I download CAPWATCH and update SIMS monthly for new members and any changes that might have posted.

I haven't even messed around with WMU, SIMS alone does everything I need.  Though I am going to switch over to the on-line promotion tracking app through eServices eventually.

BTW, on my last SUI, I was told that using SIMS in place of paper records was acceptable.  But I have double redundant backups (flash drive and desktop at home), and maintain paper records anyway.

Slim

mynetdude

Quote from: Slim on March 24, 2008, 03:47:32 AM
Couple of comments.

I'm using SIMS with Access 2007 with no issues.  Just make sure you save it in compatibility mode for 97-03, and you'll be fine.

SIMS is integrated with CAPWATCH.  As long as you have permissions for CAPWATCH downloads, you can populate your database that way.  I download CAPWATCH and update SIMS monthly for new members and any changes that might have posted.

I haven't even messed around with WMU, SIMS alone does everything I need.  Though I am going to switch over to the on-line promotion tracking app through eServices eventually.

BTW, on my last SUI, I was told that using SIMS in place of paper records was acceptable.  But I have double redundant backups (flash drive and desktop at home), and maintain paper records anyway.

Well wouldn't promotions information appear in CAPWATCH after you input the promotions stuff in eServices via the promotions module?

The only reason we don't use CAPWATCH anymore is because we have a customized database with custom data included in the database and if I were to dump CAPWATCH data into our existing database then our custom data is lost although I could use CAPWATCH if I wanted.

Like I said there is SIMS in the WMU itself, so I don't know if this is the same SIMS that is downloadable.

Tim Medeiros

I haven't logged into the WMU lately but last I checked the SIMS functionality in it was only a fraction compared to the download.  I am not sure if the cadet promotion information is included in the download from eServices as it is a new application and thus uses new tables that were not originally available when they created the CAPWATCH download.  I will check this tomorrow after the update to eServices though and compare included tables with a CAPWATCH DownLoad from before the cadet promotion application was released.

As a side note, it may be beneficial to split this topic into a different thread so we don't derail this thread any longer but can keep the current thought process going.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

mynetdude

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on March 24, 2008, 05:54:27 AM
I haven't logged into the WMU lately but last I checked the SIMS functionality in it was only a fraction compared to the download.  I am not sure if the cadet promotion information is included in the download from eServices as it is a new application and thus uses new tables that were not originally available when they created the CAPWATCH download.  I will check this tomorrow after the update to eServices though and compare included tables with a CAPWATCH DownLoad from before the cadet promotion application was released.

As a side note, it may be beneficial to split this topic into a different thread so we don't derail this thread any longer but can keep the current thought process going.

I realize we're still derailing but I still believe our ultimate goal is to barcode the process.  Heck, scan the member's ID so you can bring up his information instead of searching by name or asking for his CAPID if that person is present... I can think of lots of reasons to use barcoded processes in the procedures.