Theoretical Future Evolution of CAP

Started by riffraff, December 16, 2007, 10:33:56 PM

Dragoon

While I'd agree that TP was turning us into LE...

This issue goes back further than him.  It's basically this.

1.  USAF only has limited interested in CONUS missions.  Basically, they're stuck with SAR by Congress, and do big disasters for the President.  Otherwise, they're focus is on killing bad buys.

2.  CAP members want to do more.  They see all kinds of places we could be useful, like local disasters, LE surviellance, border patrol....all kinds of places where airplanes and trained volunteers could help.  And frankly, there isn't enough USAF directed SAR and DR to keep us busy.

3.  USAF isn't real thrilled about picking up the bill (and the insurance and the litigation risk) when we work for anyone else.  Hence all the fuss about MOUs.  And telling us we can't work for other federal govt agencies unless it goes through them (because everyone will assume that it's USAF working for them, whether SECAF agreed to do it our not).

And from there, you see our schizophrenia - we want to be USAF for the street cred and the money, but we want to be a free-lancer when it comes to missions.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Dragoon on December 17, 2007, 07:24:04 PM
And from there, you see our schizophrenia - we want to be USAF for the street cred and the money, but we want to be a free-lancer when it comes to missions.

[completely off topic]
FYI, schizophrenia has nothing to do with having multiple personalities. 

Schizophrenia is a disorder that has affects on both congnitive and emotional attributes.  Symptoms include; hallucinations, lack of emotion, hearing internal voices, holding false personal beliefs (delusions).

The disorder you are trying to compare CAP to is actually Disassociative Identity disorder.  It is characterized by having at least one 'alter' personality that controls behavior...

[/completely off topic]
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Dragoon

You're absolutely right. And in fact, I was thinking that as I typed the phrase.  But since most folks think one=the other, I went with the colloquial understanding.

But, hmm...let's think about the National Board a minute... hallucinations, delusions.....schizophrenia might apply as well   :)

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

riffraff

1.  USAF only has limited interested in CONUS missions.  Basically, they're stuck with SAR by Congress, and do big disasters for the President.  Otherwise, they're focus is on killing bad buys.

2.  CAP members want to do more.  They see all kinds of places we could be useful, like local disasters, LE surviellance, border patrol....all kinds of places where airplanes and trained volunteers could help.  And frankly, there isn't enough USAF directed SAR and DR to keep us busy.

3.  USAF isn't real thrilled about picking up the bill (and the insurance and the litigation risk) when we work for anyone else.  Hence all the fuss about MOUs.  And telling us we can't work for other federal govt agencies unless it goes through them (because everyone will assume that it's USAF working for them, whether SECAF agreed to do it our not).

I can't comment on items #1 and 3 but item #2 is certainly a valid point. I see no reason why we shouldn't be looking for additional paying work to justify keeping our assets (airplanes/vans, etc).

In keeping on topic, would DHS (or another federal agency) oversight provide for more/easier utilization in roles outside of SAR?

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 17, 2007, 01:22:19 AM
Since the law making us not a part of the AF is only 8 years old...
Did I miss something? 25 years in CAP and I didn't hear this one... mind cluing me in?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RogueLeader

the 2000 law that pulled our full time Aux status away.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JayT

Quote from: riffraff on December 17, 2007, 09:43:07 PM

I can't comment on items #1 and 3 but item #2 is certainly a valid point. I see no reason why we shouldn't be looking for additional paying work to justify keeping our assets (airplanes/vans, etc).

In keeping on topic, would DHS (or another federal agency) oversight provide for more/easier utilization in roles outside of SAR?

Doesn't DHS have their own light airplane assests? Would they really want a bunch of volunteers running around? Which specific agency in DHS would we work for? What would happen to the CP and AE?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

KFreeman

Yes, DHS has the regular USCG aircraft and CGAux acft. facilities.

CAP also has a NHQ MOU with CGAux that covers Mission assets, crewing, etc.

So that gives DHS access to a sizeable light plane/crew fleet.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

Dragoon

No matter who we belong to, we'd run into the same issue.

If we belonged to HLS, they wouldn't want us doing SAR, Cadet Orientations, Route Surveys, etc.  Why should they be holding the liability bag while their guys go off and do USAF things?

The only way around this is some change in federal law to make us kind of the Nation's Air Auxiliary, with USAF as the lead Agency.

Otherwise, we'd get stuck with a single boss and lots of pushback against working for anyone else.

RiverAux

DHS is building their own independent air force called "Homeland Security Air Wings". 

KFreeman

Yes, five Air Wings along our northern border alone, flying some fairly exotic aircraft.

Not much publicity but a lot of action. LE to be sure.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator