Main Menu

age and rank

Started by isuhawkeye, November 27, 2007, 10:38:01 PM

Stonewall

Quote from: Dragoon on November 29, 2007, 08:20:48 PM
I think what I'm looking for in a Wing CC is a track record of CAP success. 

While I agree with this statement, along with a few of your points following it, I would absolutely take their experience, education, and accomplishments outside of CAP into consideration rather than just their CAP experience.

I've delivered pizzas for Dominos before while working another job full-time and in college full-time, while at the same time serving in the Army National Guard.  But I wouldn't consider a person who has termendous accomplishments in CAP for 10+ years but has settled to deliver pizzas solely to fund his love for CAP.  I'm not saying you have to be a self-made millionaire or be sportin' an Air Force Cross, but the right man for the job needs to have a diverse background that is relevant to running a business along with leadership experience; coupled, of course, with a good amount of CAP experience.

Just food for thought.  YMMV.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: John Bryan on November 29, 2007, 08:26:36 PMI know we have talked about military history....so I give you the example of the Medal of Honor. The youngest American to EARN this was Willie Johnston who was just 12 years old when he earned the award. I am glad President Lincoln did not say "Yeah he earned it but he's kind of young".

Even the biggest of war heroes aren't suited to lead a CAP wing.  Well respected and praised as they should be, but being an E-4 with a Silver Star means you faced adversity and overcame.  Without a doubt, a tremendous quality in a person, but that 22 year old Silver Star recipient still needs some experience, training and schooling before leading a platoon of men.

I absolutely agree that age, per se, is not a huge issue when considering someone for appointment as Wing Commander.  But with age comes experience in life, leadership and trial and error.  I could absolutely find a 25 year old that could  be a better wing commander than a 50 year old, but only if we were basing it on age alone; which is ridiculous to consider.  I'm definitely not arguing the age issue here, but the overall qualification of a candidate for the position.  And like was said before, wings vary just as much as wing commanders.  Texas Wing is not the same beast as Delaware or Rhode Island.  Just a few things to ponder.
Serving since 1987.

Ned

Quote from: Dragoon on November 29, 2007, 08:20:48 PM
I think what I'm looking for in a Wing CC is a track record of CAP success.  I don't really care how many years you have in.  What I do care about is that:

1.  You've been a successful squadron commander who can point to a list of above-average accomplishments in that job.

2.  You've done the same thing at Group (if your wing has groups)

3.  You've done the same thing in at least one primary Wing Staff job.

4.  You have made some contributions to the Wing at least the areas of Cadet Programs and Emergency Services

5.  You're rated aircrew (pilot or observer)

6.  And it would be nice if you've served as a Vice or Chief of Staff. (so you've got the big picture view)

Not a bad start, but we need to set the bar a little higher for CP involvement.

I'd suggest at least a "senior" rating in the CP track.  After all, about half the folks in any given wing are CP-oriented (cadets and the seniors assigned to cadet and composite units that spend most of their time supporting CP).

If you're gonna require a rated aircrew member, then we should require similar levels of qualification for CP.

Ned Lee

isuhawkeye

QuoteI'd suggest at least a "senior" rating in the CP track.  After all, about half the folks in any given wing are CP-oriented (cadets and the seniors assigned to cadet and composite units that spend most of their time supporting CP).

Riding this logic train we need to ensure that the wing CC is ES rated as well

Tim Medeiros

That would be settled by item 5 in Mr Lee's quotation.

Although, same logic would dictate a rating in the AE specialty track, can't forget mission #3.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

ZigZag911

Ultimately, all this depends on the character and abilities of the person under consideration.

Can a talented officer in their 30s run a wing successfully? Certainly....but if I had someone ten years older with similar experience & qualifications, my preference is to go with the older officer.

I was a major in my early 30s (Earhart cadet); I was convinced I'd make a splendid wing CC

Looking back, I'm pretty sure I was mistaken!

In any event, if there were iron-clad criteria for wing CCs, I'd be less concerned.

If Level 4 completion was mandatory, a term as squadron or group CC, acquaintance with all 3 missions (and a degree of expertise in one), and a responsible staff job at wing or region were all absolutely required, no exceptions, no waivers, no GOB deals....then I could care less if a wing CC was in their 20s, let alone 30s, because there would be a reasonable level of training and experience supporting that officer's leadership.

The way things were up until August, however, gave me great concern with ALL NB appointments.

Dragoon

I'm not really worried about any specialty track qualifications.  But the guy's got to understand cadets, and he's got to understand how CAP manages and employes airplanes.

The "rated aircrew" was shorthand for ensuring that the guy has a decent understanding. Planes are the single biggest risk area for the CAP corporation (they kill people), our most expensive asset (millions) and the thing our customers keep asking for.    I guess I'd waive this if his previous command experience at squadron and group involved managing airplanes.

A CP rating is nice, but if the guy can point to specific CP accomplishments (like working TAC at encampments, organizing cadet activities, etc), then he's probably got enough knowledge to not screw it up.  Ditto ES.  I wouldn't want a guy who's done nothing, but he doesn't need a senior rating, or be an IC. 

I guess I'd also prefer that his squadron command was in a composite or cadet unit rather than a senior squadron, for the reasons you specified.

Remember, we're not looking at a guy who can do it all - we're looking for a guy with enough appreciation of it all to manage a staff of experts.

capchiro

It seems like some of the best leaders, commanders, are those that don't know everything, but do know that they don't know everything, and do know how to surround themselves with people that do know how to do everything or at least where to find the answers.  This seems to equate with success..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

arajca

I'd like to see wing commanders (and anyone applying for the position) have a masters rating in any specialty track. To get that far, you have to know something about CAP and how higher echelons work.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Dragoon on November 30, 2007, 02:04:29 PM
our most expensive asset (millions) and the thing our customers keep asking for.
Personally, I prefer a commander who doesn't think this.  I prefer a commander who feels that our most expensive asset is our people, and that is actually what our customers keep asking for.  How many communities ask for a plane to march in a local Veterans Day parade?  All those that I know ask for our people.  Without the people, we wouldn't have the plane, or the van, or the mission.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811