Is General Michael E. Ryan wearing a Rickenbacker?

Started by jimmydeanno, August 13, 2007, 02:11:22 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Skyray:

Just to refresh your failing memory...

1.  The green-and-white-one is the Vietnam Campaign Medal, and was awarded for 6 months of nervous-service in that pleasant SE Asian country.  It was awarded to us by our hosts, the Government of the Republic of Vietnam.

2.  The medal for arriving, regardless of the length of stay, is the Vietnam Service Medal.  That is a US medal, and is the yellow one with three red stripes, and green tips.  Stars represent each campaign, as declared by "Echelons above reality."

3.  The red-and-yellow one is the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry.  The palm means that the wearer is honored before the entire nation, and the frame means that it is a unit award.  Stars indicate lesser awards, and are usually on individual awards.
This is also from our grateful hosts, recognizing our ability to reduce the water buffalo population.  Very few units were not honored.
Another former CAP officer

Skyray

Bac Si, you are BAD.

Thanks for the refresher.  They all just kind of showed up for me.  I do remember that the green one was a foreign award, as was the Cross of Gallantry.  I guess the scroll with 1960 on it meant that you served after the French were ousted <evil grin>.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

JohnKachenmeister

The "1960-    " indicated that the war began in 1960.  The government that was supposed to put a terminal date on the scroll bugged out in 1975.  I suppose if the space wasn't so small you could put "Di-di-mau" on the scroll.

JohnKachenmeister

Most of their former presidents now run restaurants on Colonial Ave. in Orlando.  Do you want me to stop in one and ask if they would add a new date?

Skyray

I already said you were bad.  Is Diem up there?  I stood the hot pad for a couple of days with a briefing on how to shoot down an AD because his Air Force revolted.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

I'm not sure, but Nguyen Coa Ky is.  He was the one who led the revolt.

Skyray

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 13, 2007, 11:33:31 PM
I'm not sure, but Nguyen Coa Ky is.  He was the one who led the revolt.

A name well known to me.  Their politics was almost as bad as ours, except they killed people.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

I think his kids run the restaurant day-to-day.  I'm pretty sure that he lives in my neighborhood.  He's one of the Asians who look at my dog like a tasty source of protein.

JC004

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 14, 2007, 01:52:05 AM
I think his kids run the restaurant day-to-day.  I'm pretty sure that he lives in my neighborhood.  He's one of the Asians who look at my dog like a tasty source of protein.

Kach, Kach, Kach...   8)

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"