Is General Michael E. Ryan wearing a Rickenbacker?

Started by jimmydeanno, August 13, 2007, 02:11:22 PM

jimmydeanno

Take a look at this picture...bottom row on the left.  What is that ribbon? I have searched and searched through all the military ribbons including foreign decorations I could find and have not been able to identify that ribbon as a military decoration. 

To me, it looks like a Capt Eddie Rickenbacker Achievement Ribbon.  Am I wrong, or is it something else I missed?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ddelaney103

Geez, give me a break!.

It's below his last AF ribbon, so we're in the land of foreign awards, of which he has the following:

QuoteAeronautical Grand Meritorious Cross, Chile
Korean Order of National Security Merit, First Class
Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun, Japan
Decoration of the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Japan
Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand
Knight Commander's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
Legion of Merit for Aerial Inter-American Confraternity in the Grade of Officer, SICOFAA
Grand Cross of Aeronautical Merit, Spain
Meritorious Service Medal (Military), Singapore
Order of Aeronautical Merit, Brazil
French National Order of the Legion of Honor (Rank of Commander)
Order of the Orange-Nassau (Rank of Commander)

The determination of which award it might be is left as an exercise to the student.

Skyray

It kind of depends on whose left you are talking about.  The green one on his left is some sort of Viet Service medal.  I have the same one with a metal scroll with "1960-" on it.  Don't have a clue what it is for, and my records got screwed up in the fire in the record center, so there is not much chance of looking it up with regard to me.  The red one with the yellow vertical stripes and the device in the middle appears to be the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Palm.  His has a gold frame around it which back in my day denoted a unit citation.  I have the same medal as an individual award for support of some ground action by the ARVN in the central highlands.  The one on my left is too indistinct for my old eyes to make out, and I suspect that is the one you are talking about.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

mikeylikey

^ If you don't know what a medal or ribbon is for or why you were awarded it, do you wear it?  I also will advise everyone to start a "Me book", where you keep your own set of records, in case your official set is destroyed, burned,lost or eaten!
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

Ok - teacher - I have done my research, I would post an attachment, but for some reason I'm getting an "attachment folder is full" error.  But NONE of those medals are shown on his rack.

Also, the list of AF awards and decorations on the af.mil website does not show this either.

His bio, also doesn't show his gallantry cross, or those below it either.

So please, educate me, because the student is apparantly too stupid to figure it out.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ddelaney103

Quote from: Skyray on August 13, 2007, 03:30:42 PM
It kind of depends on whose left you are talking about.  The green one on his left is some sort of Viet Service medal.  I have the same one with a metal scroll with "1960-" on it.  Don't have a clue what it is for, and my records got screwed up in the fire in the record center, so there is not much chance of looking it up with regard to me.  The red one with the yellow vertical stripes and the device in the middle appears to be the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Palm.  His has a gold frame around it which back in my day denoted a unit citation.  I have the same medal as an individual award for support of some ground action by the ARVN in the central highlands.  The one on my left is too indistinct for my old eyes to make out, and I suspect that is the one you are talking about.

All your ribbons should be on your DD214 they gave you when you left the service.  The VA may have a copy because you would have needed to give them one if you signed up for benefits.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

Just so there is no confusion here from top to bottom in order of precedence he has (shown on his rack):

1) Defense Distinguished Service Medal
2) Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
3) Legion of Merit
4) Distinguished Flying Cross
5) Meritorious Service Medal
6) Air Medal
7) Air Force Commendation Medal
8) Air Force Presidential Unit Citation
9) Joint Meritorious Unit Award
10) Outstanding Unit Award
11) Organizational Excellence Award
12) Combat Readiness Medal
13) National Defense Service Medal
14) Armed Forces Expiditionary Medal
15) Vietnam Service Medal
16) Armed Forces Service Medal
17) Overseas Short Tour
18) Overseas Long Tour
19) Longevity Service Award
20) Small Arms Marksmanship Expert Award
21) Air Force Training Ribbon
22) UNKNOWN
23) Vietnam Gallantry Cross
24) NATO Medal
25) Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal

Disabled smileys - MIKE

ddelaney103

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 13, 2007, 03:52:21 PM
Ok - teacher - I have done my research, I would post an attachment, but for some reason I'm getting an "attachment folder is full" error.  But NONE of those medals are shown on his rack.

Also, the list of AF awards and decorations on the af.mil website does not show this either.

His bio, also doesn't show his gallantry cross, or those below it either.

So please, educate me, because the student is apparantly too stupid to figure it out.

I'm sorry, my first post was rather flip.

I gave you the wrong impression of my knowledge as I have no clue either - "left as an exercise to the student" used to be teacher talk for "I don't have the time/energy/interest to figure this out."

His ribbon rack is kinda hit or miss - he's not even wearing all his US awards, though the picture might be from before the last binge of medals before retirement.  Problem is, being the USAFE boss meant he got a lot of foreign stuff.

In truth, as much as I'd like to say it absolutely isn't a Rickenbacker, Generals are weird kids and I try not to get too wrapped around the axle about things that they do.  Maybe he got it from his time on Stargate-SG1.

To get the truth, though it might take awhile, you should contact the AF History Office (http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/AboutAFHSO/aboutHOR.htm or email afhso.research@pentagon.af.mil)

Hobbsh1

It's the Decoration of the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Japan.  Not sure what class though.

probably, from what I can find it's either the 3rd, 6th, or 7th class I think.  Of course I have no clue but here is a link to the 8th class

http://www.manions.com/bid/bid.aspx~itemid~5887551~pic~20070808

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

Skyray

Before you jump in my poop, no I don't wear it.  My DD-214 shows the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry Presidential Unit Citation.  I have been called out a couple of times by anal IGs because it is on my DD-214 and I am not wearing it.  My excuse is that as far as I know, it is a mistake and there is no such medal.  I have a citation awarding me an individual Cross of Gallantry with Palm for exemplary performance of airborne duties in support of the Republic of Viet Nam.  My DD-214 is a mess as far as my personal decorations, and when I attempted to have it corrected I was told that my records were destroyed in the fire in the 70s.  General Ryan is wearing the Cross of Gallantry, and as nearly as I can tell he has a palm on it.  He also has it in the PUC frame, which leads me to believe that the Cross of Gallantry PUC does exist.  Mine was an individual award.  The RVN Campaign Medal (green one) was awarded for setting foot on beautiful french indo-China, was a Vietnamese (foreign) award, and wasn't much, which is why I forgot what it is.
Doug Johnson - Miami

ltcmark

bosshawk

Skyray: the Cross of Gallantry PUC certainly does exist: I have one and it is on my DD214.  It was awarded to just about every unit that served in Viet Nam.  It goes right along with my Presidential Unit Citation and my Meritorious Unit Citation.  In the Army, all those unit citations are worn on the right side of the uniform, just over the right pocket.  The Air Force mixes them all up with all of the other bling on the left side.

That said, can't remember the last time that I wore any of that stuff on anything except my pajamas.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on August 13, 2007, 04:34:05 PM
It's the Decoration of the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Japan.  Not sure what class though.

probably, from what I can find it's either the 3rd, 6th, or 7th class I think.  Of course I have no clue but here is a link to the 8th class

YAY! Thanks.  It's funny, the only thing I could find on that was this: http://www8.cao.go.jp/english/decoration/zuiho.html

Looking at your link though, it says the ribbon is "pale blue" but the picture is white, as is the picture in General Ryan's photo...

Hobbsh1

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 13, 2007, 05:00:16 PM

YAY! Thanks.  It's funny, the only thing I could find on that was this: http://www8.cao.go.jp/english/decoration/zuiho.html

Which doesn't match.  Good Work!

I would have been cool if it was a rickenbacker though :)

I believe it's a lower class order from what the link you posted.  I found that same search with google then followed other links listed and they all seem to show the ribbon changing from blue and yellow to white and yellow the lower the class, ie: 1st being the highest and 8th being lowest. I think.

After going back and re-reading your post, I guess I shouldn't assume things :+)

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

Skyray

Thanks, Colonel Reed.  I have it in my DD-214 also.  I just don't have it in my past that I know of.  I stood out in the blazing Indo-Chinese Sun in Class A uniform with George Burkley while a Vietnamese General pinned the Cross of Gallantry on us.  We were also recommended for a Silver Star, but as far as I know that died on the vine.  Ran across George the other day.  He is the District Commodore of the 14th District (Hawaii) of the Coast Guard Auxiliary.  If I cared enough to update my rack, I would ask him if he ever got that Silver Star.  But I don't.
Doug Johnson - Miami

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on August 13, 2007, 05:04:19 PM

I believe it's a lower class order from what the link you posted.  I found that same search with google then followed other links listed and they all seem to show the ribbon changing from blue and yellow to white and yellow the lower the class, ie: 1st being the highest and 8th being lowest. I think.

After going back and re-reading your post, I guess I shouldn't assume things :+)

does this mean we're still confused? :)

Hobbsh1

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 13, 2007, 05:38:04 PM
Quote from: Hobbsh1 on August 13, 2007, 05:04:19 PM

does this mean we're still confused? :)
STILL????  Ha, there was never any doubt in my mind to the state of my confusion  ???  ;D

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

bosshawk

Doug(Skyray): know what you mean.  It went along with the three ribbons that all of us got for just arriving in country: never had a presentation ceremony, just started wearing the things once we got settled in and if we ever wore anything besides jungle fatigues.

From what you inferred, you must have been in either the 101 or the ARVN Airborne Brigade.  I was a Saigon commando: MACV J2 and the 525 MI Gp.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Skyray

Quote from: bosshawk on August 13, 2007, 05:57:52 PM
Doug(Skyray): know what you mean.  It went along with the three ribbons that all of us got for just arriving in country: never had a presentation ceremony, just started wearing the things once we got settled in and if we ever wore anything besides jungle fatigues.

From what you inferred, you must have been in either the 101 or the ARVN Airborne Brigade.  I was a Saigon commando: MACV J2 and the 525 MI Gp.

I think the first time I found out about them was when the old man asked me why I wasn't wearing them.  I was a Marine.  Did nine months on the ground at Chu Lai and then transferred into a flying squadron (VMFA-115) for thirteen months.  Did twenty-two months total, and extended for another tour and the admin officer (I swear, I think it was Burkley) refused to send it in because he said I had battle fatigue and ought to go home.  He was right.  Once I got home, I sure as perdition didn't volunteer to go back.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

Skyray:

Just to refresh your failing memory...

1.  The green-and-white-one is the Vietnam Campaign Medal, and was awarded for 6 months of nervous-service in that pleasant SE Asian country.  It was awarded to us by our hosts, the Government of the Republic of Vietnam.

2.  The medal for arriving, regardless of the length of stay, is the Vietnam Service Medal.  That is a US medal, and is the yellow one with three red stripes, and green tips.  Stars represent each campaign, as declared by "Echelons above reality."

3.  The red-and-yellow one is the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry.  The palm means that the wearer is honored before the entire nation, and the frame means that it is a unit award.  Stars indicate lesser awards, and are usually on individual awards.
This is also from our grateful hosts, recognizing our ability to reduce the water buffalo population.  Very few units were not honored.
Another former CAP officer

Skyray

Bac Si, you are BAD.

Thanks for the refresher.  They all just kind of showed up for me.  I do remember that the green one was a foreign award, as was the Cross of Gallantry.  I guess the scroll with 1960 on it meant that you served after the French were ousted <evil grin>.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

The "1960-    " indicated that the war began in 1960.  The government that was supposed to put a terminal date on the scroll bugged out in 1975.  I suppose if the space wasn't so small you could put "Di-di-mau" on the scroll.

JohnKachenmeister

Most of their former presidents now run restaurants on Colonial Ave. in Orlando.  Do you want me to stop in one and ask if they would add a new date?

Skyray

I already said you were bad.  Is Diem up there?  I stood the hot pad for a couple of days with a briefing on how to shoot down an AD because his Air Force revolted.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

I'm not sure, but Nguyen Coa Ky is.  He was the one who led the revolt.

Skyray

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 13, 2007, 11:33:31 PM
I'm not sure, but Nguyen Coa Ky is.  He was the one who led the revolt.

A name well known to me.  Their politics was almost as bad as ours, except they killed people.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

I think his kids run the restaurant day-to-day.  I'm pretty sure that he lives in my neighborhood.  He's one of the Asians who look at my dog like a tasty source of protein.

JC004

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 14, 2007, 01:52:05 AM
I think his kids run the restaurant day-to-day.  I'm pretty sure that he lives in my neighborhood.  He's one of the Asians who look at my dog like a tasty source of protein.

Kach, Kach, Kach...   8)

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"