Main Menu

Oddball squadron names

Started by RiverAux, May 26, 2007, 04:56:29 PM

RiverAux

Most CAP squadrons are named after the town that they are in and there are a few squadrons named after specific people.  However there are some unusual names out there (Wing in parentheses):

248TH TAC AIR SENIOR SQ (WI)
21ST CENTURY ACADEMY CADET SQ (NM)
492ND EMERGENCY SERVICES COMP SQDN (WY)
7-6 AIR CAVALRY COMPOSITE SQDN (TX)
APOLLO I COMPOSITE SQDN (MD)
BLACK SHEEP COMPOSITE SQDN (TX)
BLACK SHEEP SENIOR SQDN (CO)
COASTAL PATROL BASE - 21 (NC)
COASTAL PATROL BASE 16 (NC)
DELAWARE AIR NATIONAL GUARD CADET SQ (DE)
INDIANA AIR OPERATIONS GROUP (IN)
JOLLY GREEN COMPOSITE SQDN (TX)
MEMPHIS BELLE MEMORIAL SQDN (TN)
MILWAUKEE EMERGENCY SERVICES FLIGHT (WI)
MILWAUKEE SENIOR SP SQDN 10 (WI)
PONY EXPRESS COMPOSITE SQUADRON (MO)
ROUGHRIDER COMP SQ (ND)
SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS COMPOSITE SQDN (MO)
STARBASE COMPOSITE SQDN (OK)
SUPER R. I. BONG COMPOSITE SQDN (WI)
T-BIRD COMPOSITE SQDN 4 (NM)
TIGERSHARK COMPOSITE SQDN (TX)
TIP O' THE MITT COMPOSITE SQDN (MI)
TRAIL OF TEARS COMPOSITE SQDN (MO)
VOYAGER COMPOSITE SQDN 120 (CA)
WASHOE JEEP SENIOR SQDN (NV)
WILD HORSE DESERT COMPOSITE SQDN (TX)
WYLIE WARRIORS (TX)

MIKE

I think that when a unit is charterd, NHQ should name it based on some strict rules.  See also heraldry etc, etc.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Judging by my look in CAPWATCH I'd say that about 95% or more of squadrons are named using the standard CAP convention of City and then Cadet/Composite/Senior Squadron.  Probably 4% are named after people and then besides the oddballs I mentioned there were about 5 or so squadrons that appeared to be named after a school and its mascot (something like the Smithville Eagles Cadet Squadron --an example I made up). 

JC004

Some of these should have never been approved.  They are dumb.  I am revoking most of them (except the Coastal Patrol units).

mikeylikey

Quote from: RiverAux on May 26, 2007, 04:56:29 PM
SUPER R. I. BONG COMPOSITE SQDN (WI)

HAHAHAHHA  SUPER BONG!   HAHAHAHHHAHHA

Actually, they are not oddball.  If you knew anything about American History, Military History, and or the location of these units, they are named in honor of 1) Historical items/issues/places, 2) after military units at the location where the CAP unit is located, 3) original CAP (ARMY) unit identifiers. 

There is no merrit in the original post, they are all legitimate.

HOWEVER, the ones that call themselves "Fighting (INSERT NAME) Ranger Squadron, or 123 RESCUE (INSERT NAME) Squadron are the oddball ones.
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Something that stays relatively consistent would be good... Like numbered units.  The thing with naming units after places is that you kind of need to rename it when the unit moves.
Mike Johnston

dwb

Quote from: MIKE on May 26, 2007, 05:02:23 PMI think that when a unit is charterd, NHQ should name it based on some strict rules.  See also heraldry etc, etc.

I don't mind units being named for local history, or in memory of a person.

The CAP Talk co-admin's squadron is named after a long-time CAPer.  It was renamed after said member (F.R. Sussey) passed away.

Meh, unit names are not enough to get me riled up, I guess.

FARRIER

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

RiverAux

They are oddball in that they are not consistent with CAP's policy on unit names.
From CAPR 20-3
c. A proposed name for the unit. Unit names must include the following elements:

1) Identifying prefix - a short identifier, preferably associated with location (example: Shamrock, Dayton, Hot Springs, Midville, etc.). DO NOT use names such as "Black Sheep," "Flying Tigers," etc., or terms descriptive of major functions such as "Communications," "Jeep," or "Rescue," etc.).
2) Type of unit (group, cadet squadron, senior squadron, composite squadron, or flight).
3) If the unit is to be named for an individual, the unit must obtain the individual's permission prior to submitting the charter application. If the individual is deceased, permission will be obtained from the nearest living relative. A statement will be typed on the reverse side of the CAPF 27 indicating that permission has been obtained.
4) In addition to the above, the sponsoring organization (if applicable) and a numerical suffix (if needed because of similarity of names) are permitted. Examples of acceptable names are: "Red Oak Composite Squadron," "Midvale Flight," "Miami Senior Squadron No. 2," "Manhattan Group IV," and "Bay City Optimist Cadet Squadron." NOTE: National Headquarters will edit names that are too long and/or contain undesirable elements.

Note that some of the squadron names on my list would not be allowed if applied for under today's rules. 

Yes, the Bong squadron is appropriately named under these rules, I just thought that one was funny.  I'm sure he was a great guy. 

ctrossen

Well, I can provide a little insight here...

248TH TAC AIR SENIOR SQ (WI)

This one I don't remember offhand. It was described to me a while back and it just didn't stick. I do remember it's TAC, not "tactical", Air (or anything along those lines).

MILWAUKEE EMERGENCY SERVICES FLIGHT

formerly the Milwaukee Emergency Services Squadron (MESS, for short), where I spent, oh, a good 15 years of my life. Would the name pass muster under the new naming conventions? Probably not. Then again, it doesn't have to, now does it? ;-)

MILWAUKEE SENIOR SP SQDN 10

Actually Milwaukee Senior Support Squadron 10 (informally known as the 10th Senior Support Squadron). Back around 1990 or so, WI Wing dismantled it's group structure. Only two group HQs had any real amount of strength to them - Group 10 and Group 12, so both were reorganized as senior squadrons. The 10th and 12th Senior Support Squadrons (though how the name changed is beyond me). The "10th" is co-located with my unit - they pretty much provide the aircraft and most of the pilots for us.

SUPER R. I. BONG COMPOSITE SQDN

Actually the Superior R.I. Bong Composite Squadron (as in Richard I Bong... see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I._Bong). Superior, because that's the name of the city it's in (Superior, WI... pretty much as far northwest as you get in Wisconsin), and Richard I Bong, because, well, he's a bona-fide Medal of Honor-winning, war hero born there.

There is also the Bong Recreation Area in SE Wisconsin (what was going to be the Bong AFB), named after him.

Enjoy!
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

ELTHunter

I gotta say, I know who Richard I. Bong is, and when I saw Super R.I. Bong, it made me laugh out loud.  I thought maybe it meant Super Rhode Island Bong or something...like they had the best bong in the state....Superior I understand....well could still be the best bong.....maybe it's bed time:)
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JC004

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 27, 2007, 01:52:58 AM
I gotta say, I know who Richard I. Bong is, and when I saw Super R.I. Bong, it made me laugh out loud.  I thought maybe it meant Super Rhode Island Bong or something...like they had the best bong in the state....Superior I understand....well could still be the best bong.....maybe it's bed time:)

Our senior members only deserve the very best bongs...

flyerthom

Washoe Jeep Squadron's history is it was originally a horse mounted unit when formed in the 1940's. Later it converted to jeeps or 4x4's. Hence the name Jeep Squadron. The mounted unit is referenced in From Maine to Mexico. When a plane crashes way out in the desert it helps to have Jeeps to get a team in quicker.
TC

AlphaSigOU

Some Texas Wing squadrons incorporate a mascot or a nickname in their designation. Some examples:

Addison Eagles (my squadron - how they came to be known as the Eagles is lost to history)
Mesquite Black Sheep (named after Pappy Boyington's Black Sheep; one of their charter members was a member of VMF-214. Their charter number is TX-214.)
Waxahache Talon
Plano Mustangs (after the P-51; their charter number is TX-051.)
Wylie Warriors
Dallas Stealth
Denton Nighthawks
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JC004 on May 27, 2007, 04:32:22 AM

Have some class, sir! It's a hookah! Pass it to the left, sir!  ;) :D ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JC004

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 27, 2007, 11:33:57 AM
Quote from: JC004 on May 27, 2007, 04:32:22 AM

Have some class, sir! It's a hookah! Pass it to the left, sir!  ;) :D ;D

and next, the Hookah Senior Squadron...

mikeylikey

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 27, 2007, 11:32:39 AM
Some Texas Wing squadrons incorporate a mascot or a nickname in their designation. Some examples:

Addison Eagles (my squadron - how they came to be known as the Eagles is lost to history)
Mesquite Black Sheep (named after Pappy Boyington's Black Sheep; one of their charter members was a member of VMF-214. Their charter number is TX-214.)
Waxahache Talon
Plano Mustangs (after the P-51; their charter number is TX-051.)
Wylie Warriors
Dallas Stealth
Denton Nighthawks

Thats a shame you lost some histroy.  I would bet that most members have no idea why thier units are named like they are named.  It goes to show you something.
What's up monkeys?

Sgt. Savage

All of our squadrons have been re-named, though I don't think the charters have changed. In our wing, we are each referred to by our charter number and our composition description ( 58th Composite Squadron) for all official correspondences. We used to be Cumberland County Composite Squadron. Our "nickname" was Black Sheep Squadron, which I really couldn't stand. Now we're "The Fighting 58Th".  Our squadron patch (Still under proposal and adhering to absolutely no heraldry rules what so ever) still pays homage to VMF214, the original black sheep.

RiverAux

Some more oddballs that I missed the first time:

111TH SEARCH & RESCUE CADET SQDN (NC)
131ST SAR FLIGHT (TX)
141ST SAR COMPOSITE SQDN (NC)
99TH PURSUIT COMPOSITE SQDN (NE)
CONNECTICUT MINUTEMAN COMPOSITE SQDN (CT)

The only wing I see that has gone all numeric is Arkansas but they do have the location in parentheses -- for example:   102ND COMPOSITE SQUADRON (LAKE DARDANELLE).  CT has a few squadrons with just numerics. 

Sgt. Savage, as of 4-30-07 the Cumberland County Composite Squadron (ME-058) is still called that in the CAPWATCH database so it appears that no one has actually officially changed the name of your squadron yet. 

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on May 27, 2007, 03:24:25 PM
The only wing I see that has gone all numeric is Arkansas but they do have the location in parentheses -- for example:   102ND COMPOSITE SQUADRON (LAKE DARDANELLE).

That's similar to how the ATC does it IIRC.
Mike Johnston