CAPP 225 - Character Development Instructor Specialty Track

Started by Chappie, February 22, 2016, 04:28:53 AM

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: SAREXinNY on February 25, 2016, 02:34:54 AM

It's no urban legend.  I still have the wing-specific application which requires a lot of additional requirements above and beyond what the pamphlet/regs require.

Interesting.  As SouthernCross said, the application process per the regs is all that's required.  That said, it wouldn't be the first time I've found "additional" requirements added, sometimes sensibly and legitimately and sometime in flagrant breach of the regulations.

Any chance of a look at the application, or a pointer towards the web site?  PM if you prefer.
(Edited for spelling)

SouthernCross

Form 35A can be accessed on the CAP website. Just look under "Forms, Publications & Regulations."

Chappie

Quote from: SouthernCross on February 25, 2016, 03:08:31 AM
" I still have the wing-specific application which requires a lot of additional requirements above and beyond what the pamphlet/regs require."

What other application? Form 35A is the only application needed. Period!

^^^What he says..."^^^
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Brit_in_CAP

For clarity, I was asking SAREXinNY if I could easily get a look at the document he was referring to, the wing-specific application.

The CAP F 35A is indeed available on the usual website.

SAREXinNY

I thought I had a copy in my binder but I can't seem to find it.  I'll request another copy.  This has been an ongoing issue, at least at the group level.  We've had numerous discussions about how frustrating it is that nearly none of us qualify per the wing-specific requirements.  As soon as I get it I'll upload it here.

Chappie

Quote from: SAREXinNY on February 27, 2016, 02:02:51 AM
I thought I had a copy in my binder but I can't seem to find it.  I'll request another copy.  This has been an ongoing issue, at least at the group level.  We've had numerous discussions about how frustrating it is that nearly none of us qualify per the wing-specific requirements.  As soon as I get it I'll upload it here.

I would like to see a copy of it as well.  Once you get a copy of it, could you send it to me as well?   To my knowledge, there is only one process that is used for the Character Development Instructor and that is found in the CAPR 265-1.  In my years as a wing and region chaplain I have had the privilege of seeing a great number of Chaplains and CDIs appointed...and the process laid out in the CAPR 265-1 worked. As a member of the CCAC, I know we have worked hard to eliminate obstacles and streamline the appointments of Chaplain Corps personnel. 

SAREXinNY

Please see attached.

Are these requirements standard throughout the wings?  I really don't want to raise a stink, we have a great Chaplain.  I just haven't been active in a church setting for many years and it is holding me back from the CDI track.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Chappie

Quote from: lordmonar on February 29, 2016, 02:05:56 AM
Looks like the old CDI requirements.

^^^CORRECT^^^

Those documents are now obsolete.

This is the current application.   

The CAPR 265-1 April 2015 sets forth the CDI application as:

7. Character Development Instructor Appointment.

a. A senior member who has completed Level I may apply to become a CDI. He/she should submit a CAPF 35a, Character Development Instructor Application, along with the appropriate documentation and a letter of recommendation (as outlined below) to the wing chaplain for verification of the following requirements:

(1) The applicant will have completed the following Civil Air Patrol training before submitting an application package: (a) Training Leaders of Cadets (b) Basic Instructor Course

(2) The applicant has a letter of recommendation from a member of his or her local community attesting that the member is morally and emotionally qualified to serve as a character development instructor.  This letter will not come from the unit commander since the commander's recommendation is implicit in the commander's signature on the application.

b. The wing chaplain completes an interview which will seek to determine the candidate's understanding of the role of a character development instructor and ascertain their willingness to work in a pluralistic environment.  The wing chaplain and the wing commander sign the CAPF 35a, if warranted, and forward the application package including the supporting documentation to the region chaplain for region approval and subsequent transmission to NHQ/HCA for final approval by CAP/HC.

c. After the appointment, the NHQ/HCA notifies the region chaplain, wing chaplain, region commander, wing commander and unit commander of the appointment.

d. Unless currently serving in a higher grade, in which case the higher grade will be maintained, a CDI is initially appointed in the grade of second lieutenant and enrolled in the CAP 225 Specialty Track.

Chappie

Quote from: SAREXinNY on February 29, 2016, 01:53:14 AM
Please see attached.

Are these requirements standard throughout the wings?  I really don't want to raise a stink, we have a great Chaplain.  I just haven't been active in a church setting for many years and it is holding me back from the CDI track.

Those requirements are now obsolete <see the reply to Lordmonar's post>.  The only thing holding you back would be the completion of the TLC and Basic Instructors Course (unless you have completed them), a letter of recommendation and completing/submitting the F35A <see attachments in the reply to Lordmonar>.