CAPP 225 - Character Development Instructor Specialty Track

Started by Chappie, February 22, 2016, 04:28:53 AM

Chappie

Announcement from Ch, Col James "Jay" Hughes - Chief of CAP Chaplain Corps: I am proud to say the new CAPP 225 - The Character Development Instructor Specialty Track is now available. Special thanks to Maj Jaimie Henson and the CDI Task Force for 18 months of work!

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P225_3E1B2C993E723.pdf
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Fubar

What kind of changes were made over the past 18 months?

Brit_in_CAP

^..there were a lot.

The previous version was out of date to the point of being useless, in my personal opinion, and the whole document was revised to provide a more meaningful track, in part to encourage people to come forward as CDIs.  The pamphlet now reflects more accurately the intent expressed in the revised entry requirements.   

The task force took opinion and comment from Chaplains and CDIs across CAP - I was one of them - as well as from squadron commanders, Cadet Programs and the like, and they wove that into something useful.  To be sure, nobody got everything they asked for or suggested, but I do think that the new version includes most of the important points that people brought forward.

Chappie

Quote from: Fubar on February 22, 2016, 05:39:52 AM

The previous 225 training track was released in January of 2001 --- so I would say there have been significant changes over the past 15 years :)  The task force took 18 months to review and totally rewrite the obsolete/out-dated document that existed. I applaud the leadership of Chaplain Hughes in forming the Task Force and allowing them to put forth a document that is meaningful for our CDIs.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Chappie on February 22, 2016, 08:11:05 PM
Quote from: Fubar on February 22, 2016, 05:39:52 AM

The previous 225 training track was released in January of 2001 --- so I would say there have been significant changes over the past 15 years :)  The task force took 18 months to review and totally rewrite the obsolete/out-dated document that existed. I applaud the leadership of Chaplain Hughes in forming the Task Force and allowing them to put forth a document that is meaningful for our CDIs.
:clap: :clap:
What he said.... :)

Robert Hartigan

My only complaint about the CDI position is there is no provision for bringing sitting CDIs into compliance with the new standard. I have also run across a few CDIs that believe they are protected by the Chaplain Corps in some way and in a way they are. You see, as a squadron commander, if I have an issue with a CDI like being late to meetings, ill prepared to deliver lesson plans or any other infractions that would get an Aerospace Education Officer or Cadet Program Officer reassigned to a job like squadron historian I have no real recourse. I can remove them from the CDI position in the squadron, but they keep the CDI qualification on their e-Services record. This has led one CDI to believe he served at the pleasure of the wing chaplain and not the squadron commander.

So, I guess at the very least, I would like to see a continuing education requirement and an expiration on the appointment like we have on CPPT, now.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

LSThiker

SAREXinNY

I'm at work and don't have time at this minute to look over the new CAPP 225.  Does the new reg discuss religious requirements?  I believe (I may be wrong) that they were looking to distance CDI from the religious aspect.  CDI is one of the many jobs I've held since joining CAP, but I can't even qualify for a technician rating because I no longer attend church services, so I can't get a sign-off from a church leader.  I believe this requirement is specific to NYW, but other wings may have similar requirements.  It's frustrating to say the least.  But I still do my job...as nobody else in the squadron qualifies either.

Chappie

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on February 23, 2016, 02:51:58 PM
My only complaint about the CDI position is there is no provision for bringing sitting CDIs into compliance with the new standard. I have also run across a few CDIs that believe they are protected by the Chaplain Corps in some way and in a way they are. You see, as a squadron commander, if I have an issue with a CDI like being late to meetings, ill prepared to deliver lesson plans or any other infractions that would get an Aerospace Education Officer or Cadet Program Officer reassigned to a job like squadron historian I have no real recourse. I can remove them from the CDI position in the squadron, but they keep the CDI qualification on their e-Services record. This has led one CDI to believe he served at the pleasure of the wing chaplain and not the squadron commander.

So, I guess at the very least, I would like to see a continuing education requirement and an expiration on the appointment like we have on CPPT, now.

All CDIs, like Chaplains, serve at the will of the Commander.  The connection to Wing Chaplain is only in the area of supervision of their duties (i.e. their specialty track).  The only reason they received an appointment in the first place is because there was the signature of the Squadron Commander.   In this instance, I would bring the individual's actions and attitude to the attention of the Wing Chaplain.  A CDI appointment is a lot easier to rescind than that of Chaplain (due to the ecclesiastical endorsement).  In my tenure as the Wing and Region chaplain, I have had a couple of occasions where some administrative counseling was provided to a CDI or Chaplain who were not playing nicely.

Chappie

Quote from: SAREXinNY on February 23, 2016, 06:37:22 PM
I'm at work and don't have time at this minute to look over the new CAPP 225.  Does the new reg discuss religious requirements?  I believe (I may be wrong) that they were looking to distance CDI from the religious aspect.  CDI is one of the many jobs I've held since joining CAP, but I can't even qualify for a technician rating because I no longer attend church services, so I can't get a sign-off from a church leader.  I believe this requirement is specific to NYW, but other wings may have similar requirements.  It's frustrating to say the least.  But I still do my job...as nobody else in the squadron qualifies either.

Beginning in 2012, the CDI applicant did not require a letter of reference/recommendatoin from a religious leader.

From the April 2015 CAPR 265-1:

7. Character Development Instructor Appointment.
a. A senior member who has completed Level I may apply to become a CDI. He/she should submit a CAPF 35a, Character Development Instructor Application, along with the appropriate documentation and a letter of recommendation (as outlined below) to the wing chaplain for verification of the following requirements:
(1) The applicant will have completed the following Civil Air Patrol training before submitting an application package:
(a) Training Leaders of Cadets
(b) Basic Instructor Course
(2) The applicant has a letter of recommendation from a member of his or her local community attesting that the member is morally and emotionally qualified to serve as a character development instructor. This letter will not come from the unit commander since the commander's recommendation is implicit in the commander's signature on the application.
b. The wing chaplain completes an interview which will seek to determine the candidate's understanding of the role of a character development instructor and ascertain their willingness to work in a pluralistic environment. The wing chaplain and the wing commander sign the CAPF
CAPR 265-1 3 APRIL 2015 7
35a, if warranted, and forward the application package including the supporting documentation to the region chaplain for region approval and subsequent transmission to NHQ/HCA for final approval by CAP/HC.
c. After the appointment, the NHQ/HCA notifies the region chaplain, wing chaplain, region commander, wing commander and unit commander of the appointment.
d. Unless currently serving in a higher grade, in which case the higher grade will be maintained, a CDI is initially appointed in the grade of second lieutenant and enrolled in the CAP 225 Specialty Track

Technician rating in the newly published CAPP 225:
Achieving the Technician Rating
Position Description
The Character Development Instructor at the technician level is expected to:
• Deliver character development lessons to cadets. These lessons can be found on the NHQ Chaplain Corps web page. They include previous lessons under the titles of: Flight Time, Values for Living and CAPP 265-2.
• Provide non-clergy support to assist chaplains in providing ministry to the CAP community. These duties may include, providing administrative or logistical support at an activity, acquiring/performing musical accompaniment for services, visiting sick, injured, elderly and home-bound members, providing non-denominational prayers, or other duties.
• Seek the qualifications and knowledge necessary to support chaplains during emergency services missions as a mission staff assistant (MSA).
• Perform CDI duties under the direction of a chaplain when one is assigned. When a chaplain is not assigned, the CDI works under the direction of the wing chaplain and with the squadron commander.
Knowledge, Service, and Performance Requirements
• Describe the job of the Character Development Instructor and the responsibilities of serving on the commander's staff as a CDI.
• Correctly identify the differences in the job descriptions, privileges, protections and confidentiality limits of a CDI and a Chaplain and how to correctly respond when the situation requires a Chaplain.
• Identify the policies and possible tasks of non-clergy support.
• Present, to the satisfaction of your mentor or OJT supervisor, at least four (4) character development lessons to cadets.
• Correctly complete and submit to your wing chaplain one CAPF 34-CDI on your activities.

Brit_in_CAP

Check the new regs and pamphlet....you can apply!  Many CDIs, me being one, come to the role as an extension of our lay ministry in our churches, but increasingly many do not.  Same rules apply to all of us, and rightly so, but somebody realized that ethics and value-based decision making can be disconnected from religion!

I have met many "religious" persons who could not and should not every teach a CD lesson, and many "non-religious" persons who would be a huge asset to the specialty.

Personally, I like the new track as the training is both meaningful and achievable.  Speaking briefly to Robert Hartigan's point: a CDI who doesn't "play nice" has no special protection and never did.  Chappie states the position very well, and I also know of CDIs and Chaplains who have been counseled for not "playing nicely".

It is true that, when MLOs first were appointed, the Chaplain Branch did consider them as 'demi-chaplains' and tried to have them protect from taking command positions etc.  That was clarified very early on and we're better off for it, I think.

If you'd like a detailed, 'discussion', please PM me.  I joined to be a CDI, the rest came later!

Edit: I saw, after posting, your comment about there being a wing-specific requirement.  That's probably a piece of urban legend because the track requirements area s stated in CAPR 265-1, dated April 2015 and you can neither add to nor subtract from those.

lordmonar

Reading the pamphlet and 265-1......CDI's are still demi chaplains.

I still cannot be a CDI as I cannot fulfill the duties of a CDI as addressed in the pamphlet and 265-1.

So....still not a fan.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Chappie

Quote from: lordmonar on February 24, 2016, 08:46:03 PM

I still cannot be a CDI as I cannot fulfill the duties of a CDI as addressed in the pamphlet and 265-1.

So....still not a fan.

Check your pm :)

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: lordmonar on February 24, 2016, 08:46:03 PM

So....still not a fan.
Fair enough...YMMV, as always.

SAREXinNY

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on February 24, 2016, 07:17:31 PM

Check the new regs and pamphlet....you can apply!  Many CDIs, me being one, come to the role as an extension of our lay ministry in our churches, but increasingly many do not.  Same rules apply to all of us, and rightly so, but somebody realized that ethics and value-based decision making can be disconnected from religion!

I have met many "religious" persons who could not and should not every teach a CD lesson, and many "non-religious" persons who would be a huge asset to the specialty.

Personally, I like the new track as the training is both meaningful and achievable.  Speaking briefly to Robert Hartigan's point: a CDI who doesn't "play nice" has no special protection and never did.  Chappie states the position very well, and I also know of CDIs and Chaplains who have been counseled for not "playing nicely".

It is true that, when MLOs first were appointed, the Chaplain Branch did consider them as 'demi-chaplains' and tried to have them protect from taking command positions etc.  That was clarified very early on and we're better off for it, I think.

If you'd like a detailed, 'discussion', please PM me.  I joined to be a CDI, the rest came later!

Edit: I saw, after posting, your comment about there being a wing-specific requirement.  That's probably a piece of urban legend because the track requirements area s stated in CAPR 265-1, dated April 2015 and you can neither add to nor subtract from those.

It's no urban legend.  I still have the wing-specific application which requires a lot of additional requirements above and beyond what the pamphlet/regs require.

SouthernCross

" I still have the wing-specific application which requires a lot of additional requirements above and beyond what the pamphlet/regs require."

What other application? Form 35A is the only application needed. Period!

lordmonar

Just had a great conversation with Chappie.....and I actually have changed my mind about the CDI track.   I will seriously consider taking this up as my next role in CAP at the squadron level.

Thanks

Chappie!

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2016, 04:49:50 AM
Just had a great conversation with Chappie.....and I actually have changed my mind about the CDI track.   I will seriously consider taking this up as my next role in CAP at the squadron level.

Thanks

Chappie!

I would not mind hearing this conversation if I could.  In the past, I had considered the MLO but was prevented.  Perhaps I might reconsider it again.

Brit_in_CAP

Thanks

Chappie!
:clap: :clap:

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: LSThiker on February 25, 2016, 05:54:40 AM

Thanks

Chappie!

I would not mind hearing this conversation if I could.  In the past, I had considered the MLO but was prevented.  Perhaps I might reconsider it again.

Likewise...I'm always keen to help prospective CDIs find their path.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: SAREXinNY on February 25, 2016, 02:34:54 AM

It's no urban legend.  I still have the wing-specific application which requires a lot of additional requirements above and beyond what the pamphlet/regs require.

Interesting.  As SouthernCross said, the application process per the regs is all that's required.  That said, it wouldn't be the first time I've found "additional" requirements added, sometimes sensibly and legitimately and sometime in flagrant breach of the regulations.

Any chance of a look at the application, or a pointer towards the web site?  PM if you prefer.
(Edited for spelling)

SouthernCross

Form 35A can be accessed on the CAP website. Just look under "Forms, Publications & Regulations."

Chappie

Quote from: SouthernCross on February 25, 2016, 03:08:31 AM
" I still have the wing-specific application which requires a lot of additional requirements above and beyond what the pamphlet/regs require."

What other application? Form 35A is the only application needed. Period!

^^^What he says..."^^^

Brit_in_CAP

For clarity, I was asking SAREXinNY if I could easily get a look at the document he was referring to, the wing-specific application.

The CAP F 35A is indeed available on the usual website.

SAREXinNY

I thought I had a copy in my binder but I can't seem to find it.  I'll request another copy.  This has been an ongoing issue, at least at the group level.  We've had numerous discussions about how frustrating it is that nearly none of us qualify per the wing-specific requirements.  As soon as I get it I'll upload it here.

Chappie

Quote from: SAREXinNY on February 27, 2016, 02:02:51 AM
I thought I had a copy in my binder but I can't seem to find it.  I'll request another copy.  This has been an ongoing issue, at least at the group level.  We've had numerous discussions about how frustrating it is that nearly none of us qualify per the wing-specific requirements.  As soon as I get it I'll upload it here.

I would like to see a copy of it as well.  Once you get a copy of it, could you send it to me as well?   To my knowledge, there is only one process that is used for the Character Development Instructor and that is found in the CAPR 265-1.  In my years as a wing and region chaplain I have had the privilege of seeing a great number of Chaplains and CDIs appointed...and the process laid out in the CAPR 265-1 worked. As a member of the CCAC, I know we have worked hard to eliminate obstacles and streamline the appointments of Chaplain Corps personnel. 

SAREXinNY

Please see attached.

Are these requirements standard throughout the wings?  I really don't want to raise a stink, we have a great Chaplain.  I just haven't been active in a church setting for many years and it is holding me back from the CDI track.

lordmonar

Chappie

Quote from: lordmonar on February 29, 2016, 02:05:56 AM
Looks like the old CDI requirements.

^^^CORRECT^^^

Those documents are now obsolete.

This is the current application.   

The CAPR 265-1 April 2015 sets forth the CDI application as:

7. Character Development Instructor Appointment.

a. A senior member who has completed Level I may apply to become a CDI. He/she should submit a CAPF 35a, Character Development Instructor Application, along with the appropriate documentation and a letter of recommendation (as outlined below) to the wing chaplain for verification of the following requirements:

(1) The applicant will have completed the following Civil Air Patrol training before submitting an application package: (a) Training Leaders of Cadets (b) Basic Instructor Course

(2) The applicant has a letter of recommendation from a member of his or her local community attesting that the member is morally and emotionally qualified to serve as a character development instructor.  This letter will not come from the unit commander since the commander's recommendation is implicit in the commander's signature on the application.

b. The wing chaplain completes an interview which will seek to determine the candidate's understanding of the role of a character development instructor and ascertain their willingness to work in a pluralistic environment.  The wing chaplain and the wing commander sign the CAPF 35a, if warranted, and forward the application package including the supporting documentation to the region chaplain for region approval and subsequent transmission to NHQ/HCA for final approval by CAP/HC.

c. After the appointment, the NHQ/HCA notifies the region chaplain, wing chaplain, region commander, wing commander and unit commander of the appointment.

d. Unless currently serving in a higher grade, in which case the higher grade will be maintained, a CDI is initially appointed in the grade of second lieutenant and enrolled in the CAP 225 Specialty Track.

Chappie

Quote from: SAREXinNY on February 29, 2016, 01:53:14 AM
Please see attached.

Are these requirements standard throughout the wings?  I really don't want to raise a stink, we have a great Chaplain.  I just haven't been active in a church setting for many years and it is holding me back from the CDI track.

Those requirements are now obsolete <see the reply to Lordmonar's post>.  The only thing holding you back would be the completion of the TLC and Basic Instructors Course (unless you have completed them), a letter of recommendation and completing/submitting the F35A <see attachments in the reply to Lordmonar>.