Would I make an Academy/ROTC on scholarship?

Started by CAPRAT123, July 21, 2015, 01:20:23 AM

CAPRAT123

I really was wondering I have the qualifications to make it into an Academy or ROTC...
-3.0 GPA
-Two terms as Cadet Advisory
-Glider Graduate
-NER Honor Guard Graduate
-Community Service Ribbon
-HS Soccer Player
-Mitchell Award (I'm only 15 so I should easily make it)
-Yard Work for neighbor over summer
Cadet Chief Master Sergeant
NER-PA-338 Cadet Leadership Officer (2015-Incumbent)
NER-PA-338 CAC Representative (2015-Incumbent)
NER-PA-239 Flight Sergeant (2013-2014)
NER-PA-239 CAC Repersentative (2012-2013)
NER Honor Guard Graduate 2014
NER Glider Academy Graduate 2014

Huey Driver

You have a few years ahead of you, and in that time, a lot of things can and will change. But for 15 years old, your resume has a nice edge over those of your peers who might be looking at similar college options. A few questions: What branch(es) are you interested in? By "make it into... ROTC," do you mean receive a scholarship offer?

The processes for both are similar. They both have online portions, in which you primarily check off boxes and fill out forms. Things you can expect on that portion are GPA, SAT/ACT scores, work, sports, CAP/JROTC experience, pilot certificates... etc. The next part includes physical documentation of the first section, such as sending transcripts and scores, references and recommendations. Finally, the last items to be completed, include the physical fitness assessment (ROTC's and the academies' differ), and interviews with academy/ROTC personnel.

It is in the final portion, especially the interview, where a resume such as yours can really shine and help your chances of being selected.

From my personal experiences, here's my advice.

• Work on that GPA. Remember that it must be on an unweighted 4.0 scale if it's not already. To be competitive, you should really work on bringing it up a few tenths
  • You didn't say anything about SATs/ACTs, but you should give both a shot. Based on your preference, you'd find it advantageous to take your test of preference multiple times, at least thrice
  • Continue your volunteer work
  • Keep promoting! The more milestones, the better!
  • Work towards that varsity letter! Track & field and Cross-country might also be sports to look into, as running is life at both the academies and in ROTC. It looks good on your applications and the cardio will continue to help you throughout your training
  • Add some variety and/or a formal job to your work experience
  • Lastly, you'll find it quite advantageous to continue your flight training... especially if you get your private pilot rating. You don't even need to do it in powered aircraft - a private rating is a private rating no matter the category of aircraft
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

MSG Mac

You should be asking an Academy liaison Officer or a Professor of Aerospace Sciences at the nearest ROTC unit.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

bosshawk

I would be happy to give you some info: I have been an Admissions Rep for West Point for some 20 years.  PM me.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

kwe1009

Get more "leadership" bullets.  It is nice that you have graduated from this course or that school or was a member of a sports team.  What looks much better are things like:

Flight Sergeant to xx cadets for xx years
Flight Commander to xx cadets for xx years
Squadron Commander  to xx cadets for xx years
Soccer Team Captain for xx years

You have a few years to make this happen.  Remember it is quality of quantity.  I will pick the person that has been a part of only 5 activities but was a leader in most over the person that was involved in 15 activities but was merely "present."  Good luck on reaching your goals!

FW

Getting an appointment to a service academy involves a few "hoops" which need to be followed. I would also recommend talking to an academy LO to find out how your chances can be improved.
That said, admission to the AFA Prep School is good if your grades are above a 3.0, and you have your Earhart or better. Going to the Prep School increases your chances of admission.

I can almost assure you will become an AFROTC scholarship finalist by meeting the above requirements, however you must pass a written and physical exam to qualify for the actual award. 

In the meantime, improve your grades, keep advancing in the cadet program, take advantage of every opportunity you can, and enjoy the experience. You won't be disappointed.

CAPRAT123

Quote from: Nor'easter on July 21, 2015, 02:03:07 AM
You have a few years ahead of you, and in that time, a lot of things can and will change. But for 15 years old, your resume has a nice edge over those of your peers who might be looking at similar college options. A few questions: What branch(es) are you interested in? By "make it into... ROTC," do you mean receive a scholarship offer?

The processes for both are similar. They both have online portions, in which you primarily check off boxes and fill out forms. Things you can expect on that portion are GPA, SAT/ACT scores, work, sports, CAP/JROTC experience, pilot certificates... etc. The next part includes physical documentation of the first section, such as sending transcripts and scores, references and recommendations. Finally, the last items to be completed, include the physical fitness assessment (ROTC's and the academies' differ), and interviews with academy/ROTC personnel.

It is in the final portion, especially the interview, where a resume such as yours can really shine and help your chances of being selected.

• Work on that GPA. Remember that it must be on an unweighted 4.0 scale if it's not already. To be competitive, you should really work on bringing it up a few tenths
  • You didn't say anything about SATs/ACTs, but you should give both a shot. Based on your preference, you'd find it advantageous to take your test of preference multiple times, at least thrice
  • Work towards that varsity letter! Track & field and Cross-country might also be sports to look into, as running is life at both the academies and in ROTC. It looks good on your applications and the cardio will continue to help you throughout your training
  • Lastly, you'll find it quite advantageous to continue your flight training... especially if you get your private pilot rating. You don't even need to do it in powered aircraft - a private rating is a private rating no matter the category of aircraft
I'm interested at getting into the Naval Academy or West Point. See since I was 12 I came in to CAP and set my goals at enlisting in the Air Force at 17 and doing spilt training my Junior-Senior year, but my Bubble was popped when I found out that was a "no more" program in every branch except the Army National Guard. So, I decided I would reset my goals since I will have an extra year and try to fight for a spot for the Naval Academy using the Marine option or going to West Point, but if that fails I will try to seek a spot for a four year scholarship into Naval ROTC using the Marine option or Army ROTC. If all that fails I guess I will just enlist in the Air Force as an aerial gunner.

THRAWN

Quote from: CAPRAT123 on July 21, 2015, 02:39:48 PM

I'm interested at getting into the Naval Academy or West Point. See since I was 12 I came in to CAP and set my goals at enlisting in the Air Force at 17 and doing spilt training my Junior-Senior year, but my Bubble was popped when I found out that was a "no more" program in every branch except the Army National Guard. So, I decided I would reset my goals since I will have an extra year and try to fight for a spot for the Naval Academy using the Marine option or going to West Point, but if that fails I will try to seek a spot for a four year scholarship into Naval ROTC using the Marine option or Army ROTC. If all that fails I guess I will just enlist in the Air Force as an aerial gunner.

What's wrong with the ARNG? If you enlist there and do the split option, you'll be way ahead of your peers at high school graduation. Combine that with this "The Pennsylvania National Guard can pay up to 100% of your college tuition. If you are a PA resident with a 6 year Guard contract and attending a PA school, you can qualify to use EAP for up to $3,311 per semester (total of 10 semesters)." If I knew then....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

CAPRAT123

Quote from: THRAWN on July 21, 2015, 02:51:02 PM

What's wrong with the ARNG? If you enlist there and do the split option, you'll be way ahead of your peers at high school graduation. Combine that with this "The Pennsylvania National Guard can pay up to 100% of your college tuition. If you are a PA resident with a 6 year Guard contract and attending a PA school, you can qualify to use EAP for up to $3,311 per semester (total of 10 semesters)." If I knew then....
No, no, that's not what I meant. I didn't mean there is anything wrong with Army National Guard. It's just I'm just not interested in ARNG.

Huey Driver

Quote from: FW on July 21, 2015, 11:39:24 AM
I can almost assure you will become an AFROTC scholarship finalist by meeting the above requirements...

I'm not so sure about that. From what I've seen in the past two years of admissions and scholarships, getting into USAFA has been about the equivalent of receiving an AFROTC Type 2 Scholarship (18k/yr + the other stuff).  I have a few friends who received nominations to USAFA and were only awarded AFROTC Type 2 scholarships, never a Type 1 (full scholarship). Likewise, Type 7 (USAF pays up to in-state rate) is much more attainable, but is still a bit more selective than the profile which CAPRAT123 has provided.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

kwe1009

Quote from: CAPRAT123 on July 21, 2015, 03:51:26 PM

No, no, that's not what I meant. I didn't mean there is anything wrong with Army National Guard. It's just I'm just not interested in ARNG.

Going ANG is a good way to test the waters as to if you want to be in the Army since you said that you were interested in West Point.

xray328

Head over to the service academy forums and you'll see guys like this, just to see what you're up against, he was told he was on the right track   ???

You never know though, too many kids try to be a part of every club or whatever. From what I can tell it's really what you did in that that club that counts, just showing up means nothing.

Graduation Date: June 2016

Unweighted GPA: (grades 9-11) 4.0

Weighted GPA: (grades 9-11) 4.5

2015 Year GPA: 4.83

Standardized test scores:

PSAT test date: Oct. 15, 2014

CR67 M68 WR62

SAT Test Date: Mar. 14, 2015

CR660 M690 WR670

ACT Test Date: April 2015

English 33, Math 27, Reading 31, Science 23

ACT Test Date: June 2015

English 30, Math 29, Reading 31, Science 29

Employment History:

Painting, Summer 2013, 2014, 2015; Winter 2013, 2014; Job duties: demolition, interior/ exterior paint/ staining, woodwork, moulding

Yard work for neighbors, January 2014 to present; Job duties: keep landscape tidy/ mow grass

Complete Aquatic Systems, Gardena , CA: packaging center

Honors and Awards:

2012-2016 CIC college prep honors magnet program

College Board's National Hispanic Recognition Program

American Legion Americanism Essay contest post, district, and regional winner- finalist in national competition (2015)

High School Pursuit of Excellence Award:

Earth Science-2013

Accelerated Biology-2014

Accelerated Algebra/Triginometry-2014

Honors Pre Calculus-2015

AP World History-2014

AP United States History-2015

Accelerated English-2014

AP English Language-2015

High School Pursuit of Excellence Medal- AP US History (sole recipient- 2015)

Japanese National Honor Society (2014, 2015)

Baseball Class First Award (2013, 2014) Student-Athlete Award (2014, 2015)

Letters of commendation from both the California State Senate and Legislature for Boy's State appointment

Athletics:

High School Baseball (2012-present; Varsity 2015-2016)

Travel Baseball (2014-present)

School Surf Team (2015)

School and Community:

American Legion Boys' State (June 2015) Passed Bar, city Fire Chief, State Head of Fish and Game

Member of the Sons of the American Legion (2015-present)

Junior Honor Guard (June 2015)

FAA Certified Private Pilot (January 2, 2015)

SPCALA Friends for Life Camp Counselor (Summer 2013 & 2014)

School Biology Club President (and founder) - (Jan. 2014-Jan. 2015 )

Aviation Explorers Post #777 Treasurer (2014)

Long Beach Relay-For-Life volunteer (2013, 2014)

Challengers Little League volunteer assistant coach (Spring 2013, 2014)

U.S. Vets volunteer (Nov. 26, 2012 & Dec. 23, 2014)

Weekly volunteer Los Alamitos American Legion (April 2013-present)

Veterans' History Project (April 28, 2013)

THRAWN

Quote from: xray328 on July 21, 2015, 05:22:42 PM
Head over to the service academy forums and you'll see guys like this, just to see what you're up against, he was told he was on the right track   ???

You never know though, too many kids try to be a part of every club or whatever. From what I can tell it's really what you did in that that club that counts, just showing up means nothing.

Graduation Date: June 2016

Unweighted GPA: (grades 9-11) 4.0

Weighted GPA: (grades 9-11) 4.5

2015 Year GPA: 4.83

Standardized test scores:

PSAT test date: Oct. 15, 2014

CR67 M68 WR62

SAT Test Date: Mar. 14, 2015

CR660 M690 WR670

ACT Test Date: April 2015

English 33, Math 27, Reading 31, Science 23

ACT Test Date: June 2015

English 30, Math 29, Reading 31, Science 29

Employment History:

Painting, Summer 2013, 2014, 2015; Winter 2013, 2014; Job duties: demolition, interior/ exterior paint/ staining, woodwork, moulding

Yard work for neighbors, January 2014 to present; Job duties: keep landscape tidy/ mow grass

Complete Aquatic Systems, Gardena , CA: packaging center

Honors and Awards:

2012-2016 CIC college prep honors magnet program

American Legion Americanism Essay contest post, district, and regional winner- finalist in national competition (2015)

High School Pursuit of Excellence Award:

Earth Science-2013

Accelerated Biology-2014

Accelerated Algebra/Triginometry-2014

Honors Pre Calculus-2015

AP World History-2014

AP United States History-2015

Accelerated English-2014

AP English Language-2015

High School Pursuit of Excellence Medal- AP US History (sole recipient- 2015)

Baseball Class First Award (2013, 2014) Student-Athlete Award (2014, 2015)

Letters of commendation from both the California State Senate and Legislature for Boy's State appointment

Athletics:

High School Baseball (2012-present; Varsity 2015-2016)

Travel Baseball (2014-present)

School Surf Team (2015)

School and Community:

American Legion Boys' State (June 2015) Passed Bar, city Fire Chief, State Head of Fish and Game

Member of the Sons of the American Legion (2015-present)

Junior Honor Guard (June 2015)

FAA Certified Private Pilot (January 2, 2015)

SPCALA Friends for Life Camp Counselor (Summer 2013 & 2014)

School Biology Club President (and founder) - (Jan. 2014-Jan. 2015 )

Aviation Explorers Post #777 Treasurer (2014)

Long Beach Relay-For-Life volunteer (2013, 2014)

Challengers Little League volunteer assistant coach (Spring 2013, 2014)

U.S. Vets volunteer (Nov. 26, 2012 & Dec. 23, 2014)

Weekly volunteer Los Alamitos American Legion (April 2013-present)

Veterans' History Project (April 28, 2013)

Meh. Nice, but can you dance?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

xray328

FW

Quote from: Nor'easter on July 21, 2015, 04:04:01 PM
I can almost assure you will become an AFROTC scholarship finalist by meeting the above requirements...

I'm not so sure about that. From what I've seen in the past two years of admissions and scholarships, getting into USAFA has been about the equivalent of receiving an AFROTC Type 2 Scholarship (18k/yr + the other stuff).  I have a few friends who received nominations to USAFA and were only awarded AFROTC Type 2 scholarships, never a Type 1 (full scholarship). Likewise, Type 7 (USAF pays up to in-state rate) is much more attainable, but is still a bit more selective than the profile which CAPRAT123 has provided.

True, however it is important to understand it is not an easy process to win an appointment to a service academy or an ROTC scholarship. "The needs of the service" are also a factor.  Anyone interested in either should research what is required, and strive to obtain it.  Just my opinion... ;)

CAPRAT123

Quote from: kwe1009 on July 21, 2015, 04:09:59 PM

Going ANG is a good way to test the waters as to if you want to be in the Army since you said that you were interested in West Point.
Oh, so if i join ANG I could still apply for West Point after my contract for the Guard would expire?

CAPRAT123

Quote from: Nor'easter on July 21, 2015, 04:04:01 PM

Mother always said I was never good enough... 😭😭😭😂😂😂

THRAWN

Quote from: CAPRAT123 on July 21, 2015, 07:23:08 PM

Oh, so if i join ANG I could still apply for West Point after my contract for the Guard would expire?
Look here:
http://www.nationalguard.com/careers/become-an-officer/west-point

And it's ARNG. ANG is the Air National Guard.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Storm Chaser

What's wrong with the ARNG?

Nothing, if that's what you want to do. Then again, what's wrong with not wanting to join the Army National Guard and choosing instead one of the many other great service alternatives? In most instances, it really is a matter of choice.

One disadvantage about the ARNG to consider is that many (most?) of the entry-level enlisted positions top at E-4, which could limit your ability to get promoted beyond that. In contrast, most entry-level enlisted positions in the ANG are authorized a grade up to E-5.

Flying Pig

Quote from: xray328 on July 21, 2015, 05:22:42 PM

Heck.... just join every club you can!   :clap:

Rafka

Remember that 1 of the requirements to receive an appointment to a Service Academy is to receive a LOR from your State Senator or Congressman, or from the Vice President or President. Getting more than 1 LOR to a single academy does not improve your chances of getting an appointment.

Also, you can apply to all of the academies at once. If you get more than one offer then you can make your choice. Although the Coast Guard Academy has different requirements from the other 3.
TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian
Assistant IT Officer, Assistant Web Security Administrator
Hagerstown Composite Squadron

THRAWN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 21, 2015, 08:20:53 PM
What's wrong with the ARNG?

Nothing, if that's what you want to do. Then again, what's wrong with not wanting to join the Army National Guard and choosing instead one of the many other great service alternatives? In most instances, it really is a matter of choice.

One disadvantage about the ARNG to consider is that many (most?) of the entry-level enlisted positions top at E-4, which could limit your ability to get promoted beyond that. In contrast, most entry-level enlisted positions in the ANG are authorized a grade up to E-5.

Not a thing. but if you actually read what the OP wrote, it had an Army bend to it.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

CAPs1

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 21, 2015, 05:19:36 AM
You should be asking an Academy liaison Officer or a Professor of Aerospace Sciences at the nearest ROTC unit.

+1

It is not surprising then candidates are accepted that do not have the extraordinary list of accomplishments(?) some purport to have.
There are only so many hours in a day and the requirements for being effective at any one of the leadership positions requires time.
They can read through the 'bull'.
Academics, and as I was told being a 'well rounded' individual helps, definition of which is subjective.
Sincere best wishes to you.

THRAWN

Quote from: Rafka on July 22, 2015, 10:35:00 AM
Remember that 1 of the requirements to receive an appointment to a Service Academy is to receive a LOR from your State Senator or Congressman, or from the Vice President or President. Getting more than 1 LOR to a single academy does not improve your chances of getting an appointment.

Also, you can apply to all of the academies at once. If you get more than one offer then you can make your choice. Although the Coast Guard Academy has different requirements from the other 3.

And the Merchant Marine Academy has different requirements from all of them...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Rafka

I purposely didn't include the Merchant Marine Academy because they're.....different. From what I can tell the OP seems to want to join the Armed Forces.
TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian
Assistant IT Officer, Assistant Web Security Administrator
Hagerstown Composite Squadron

THRAWN

Quote from: Rafka on July 22, 2015, 12:45:15 PM
I purposely didn't include the Merchant Marine Academy because they're.....different. From what I can tell the OP seems to want to join the Armed Forces.

Then you don't know much about the USMMA....

http://www.usmma.edu/about
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

When I was in Army ROTC in college, many cadets have full-ride scholarships with less-than-4.0 GPAs; however, as money has become more tight over the years, a lot of ROTC Cadre have refrained from recommending some cadets for scholarships because they only get a limited amount to distribute. Cadre often like to use the scholarships as a show-boat way of displaying cadets to the public as the "best future military leaders" that ROTC program has to offer.

Keep in mind, you can still receive a signing bonus for ROTC, depending on your branch, when you contract. Army ROTC, you contract going into your 3rd year. Air Force ROTC, last I remember, you contract going into your 2nd year. There are some technicalities to get around, but you definitely want to ask the Prof. Military Science, as mentioned before, about that.

I can't speak for the Academies since I was an officer candidate through active duty, but that's another story. It seems like there is already someone who previously commented with some good inside knowledge on the Academy arena.

DO NOT go to a local military recruiter to discuss Academy and ROTC scholarships.

MSG Mac

1. Contact an Academy Admissionsor Liaison Officer for information on the particular institution.
2. ROTC: Visit the campus you can expect to attend and speak to the ROTC Professor about requirements and programs.
3. Contact your Senator AND Congressmen about their nomination requirements.
4. Ask about the Prep Schools
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Flying Pig

One of my Platoon Commanders when I was in the Marines went to the MMA

HGjunkie

Just a comment on Academy Admissions. Sure, you have a nice resume and some good experiences under your belt. The big issue with the Academies, however, is giving them a very, very good reason to choose you amongst approximately 7,000-8,000 other similarly qualified applicants. You can very well make it in if you have a very good interview with your liaison and they decide you actually have the desire and motivation to make it through the Academy, and onto your commission. On the other hand, if you don't overall impress the Academy with your desire to be in the military as a leader of troops, no resume on earth can help you.

Here's my question(s) to you. You want to go to an Academy (or even ROTC. They're incredibly picky as of late with handing out scholarships). Why do you want to go? Why do you want to specifically enter the military through one of those commissioning sources instead of enlisting? Why are you valuable to the military?

Sidebar on the whole ROTC scholarship thing: When I was applying to the Academies/Colleges, I applied for USAFA and a USAF ROTC scholarship. I was offered an appointment to USAFA before even receiving an offer from ROTC, and then they came by with a type 2 offer (up to 18k a year - which would have been a problem because the school I applied to for ROTC was over 40k a year). It was a weird scenario and obviously chose to go to the zoo. I'm not saying that'll happen to you, but definitely keep track of what your aspirations really are aimed towards.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MSG Mac

You can apply while you're a member of the Guard or Reserve. In fact I believe there are nominations allowed from each.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 24, 2015, 05:07:52 AM

You can apply while you're a member of the Guard or Reserve. In fact I believe there are nominations allowed from each.
I seem to recall that there are 85 slots open for Guard and Reserve troops allocated.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023