Main Menu

Had a bad day.

Started by Full time cadet, April 22, 2015, 02:28:42 AM

Full time cadet

Just got rejected from 2015 NY Wing flight academy. But was put on waitlist. Looks like this is going to be a bad week. I am literally stressed and can't eat.

SarDragon

Welcome to the real world.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Full time cadet

What is life

LSThiker

Quote from: Full time cadet on April 22, 2015, 02:36:50 AM
What is life

Written by Erwin Schodinger in 1944. 

Life is like road in that it has many ups and downs, bends and turns, forks and straightways.  That is what makes it life.  Not being accepted to a flight academy is not the end of the world.  You are 18.  That means you have next year's academy to apply for.  In addition, apply for other flight academies.  Talk with the activity directors for the NY Flight Academy and find out what your weaknesses were.  Then try to improve upon those. 

In addition, do not stress out, especially to the point of not wanting to eat, on the circumstance that you were rejected from a flight academy.  As you age and mature, you will find that this one rejection out of the many upcoming rejections will be a rather mild one.  The most important thing is to not give up and continue your pursuit through other routes.  I was rejected from numerous PhD programs, but was ultimately accepted.

MSG Mac

You weren't selected as a primary, that is not a rejection. Saying we had X slots and you were X+1 indicates any of the following:

a. There were more qualified applicants
b. Age. CAP tends to allow the older cadets go first, on the premise that they may age out before getting a chance to attend the activity in a following year.
c. Application package was late
d. letters of recommendation or grades were not as good as the others who were selected.

There are always alternates accepted at every activity from IACE to Flight Academies. Keep in contact and  a slot opens up let them know you're available.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Mitchell 1969

Look at it this way - simply being an eligible gives you a chance at it. Being an applicant puts you in the running. Getting wait listed is not the same as being rejected. And you never know what might happen between now and then.

My story - I was CA Wing "second alternate" for "Cadet Flying Encampment, License" in 1970. I was in the dumps about it, was told "hang in there - it isn't over yet."

One of the selectees got a summer job and couldn't go. I moved up to first alternate. Then another selectee couldn't pass her flight physical. Which moved me up, getting me my pilot license. Not bad for a 17 year old first time special activities applicant.

Hang in there.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

LTC Don

No, you didn't have a bad day.

Keep things in perspective. This guy had a bad day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cqQzcChFG0

;)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Cliff_Chambliss

Here is the ultimate bad day.

Isis suicide bombers on their way to a mission misread the map and find an earlier implanted ied.  Wonder if the air bags deployed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBnPaQ9B2A8&feature=player_embedded#
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Offutteer

Have you looked at all of the flight academies that are available this summer, outside of NY?  NHQ just sent an email saying that some of them had openings. 

arajca

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on April 22, 2015, 01:23:28 PM
Here is the ultimate bad day.

Isis suicide bombers on their way to a mission misread the map and find an earlier implanted ied.  Wonder if the air bags deployed.

Bad day here depends on which side you're on. Bad for them, good for us (2 birds, 1 stone).

Full time cadet

Quote from: Offutteer on April 22, 2015, 03:42:36 PM
Have you looked at all of the flight academies that are available this summer, outside of NY?  NHQ just sent an email saying that some of them had openings.
Most of them are filled I applied for SWR and NER flight academy. I am an alternate for SWR and my chain of command is slowing me down to get approved for NER. I really dont want to do it next year as I will graduate from high school (hopefully with a Mitchell) and will be going to college in another state with my family.

AirAux

Full time cadet, I have been doing this for over thirty years and I have never seen a waitlisted cadet that didn't eventually get a slot.  Positive thoughts my man.  It will happen.  Things always come up like the man said.  Someone moves, someone has applied for several training areas and just hasn't made up his mind which one to go for.  I truly feel assured you will get it.  Go ahead and begin planning so you will be ready.  It might drop in your lap at the last moment.  Sometimes a cadet just doesn't show up and they call and ask if you can get there immediately.  Be prepared... Uhh, wait, that's Boy Scouts...  Anyhow be ready!!

Full time cadet

Quote from: AirAux on April 22, 2015, 09:07:36 PM
Full time cadet, I have been doing this for over thirty years and I have never seen a waitlisted cadet that didn't eventually get a slot.  Positive thoughts my man.  It will happen.  Things always come up like the man said.  Someone moves, someone has applied for several training areas and just hasn't made up his mind which one to go for.  I truly feel assured you will get it.  Go ahead and begin planning so you will be ready.  It might drop in your lap at the last moment.  Sometimes a cadet just doesn't show up and they call and ask if you can get there immediately.  Be prepared... Uhh, wait, that's Boy Scouts...  Anyhow be ready!!
The thing is that for the NY wing flight academy (not an NCSA) requires an essay inorder to get accepted and only 6 Slots are open. I was the 7th person on the list applying(which means Im the only person on the waitlist) Me as a C/SrA compared to other C/2nd lts and 1 C/CMSgt getting accepted, there a really low chance that 1 out of the 6 would drop out especially when an essay was done.

dwb

It sounds like you have next summer available to you as well. Work on promoting as quickly as you can and making yourself more competitive for next year's academy.

I know you really wanted to go to the flight academy this year. The NYWG flight academy is a great deal financially and a great way to start your flight training. But it's not the only way. Look in to national CAP flight scholarships, the Spaatz Association's scholarships, or get a part-time job to save up for some flight instruction with a local pilot and CAP plane. Where there's a will there's a way.

It's alright to be disappointed, but you can wallow in it or you can start looking for Plan B.

Full time cadet

Quote from: dwb on April 22, 2015, 10:59:31 PM
It sounds like you have next summer available to you as well. Work on promoting as quickly as you can and making yourself more competitive for next year's academy.

I know you really wanted to go to the flight academy this year. The NYWG flight academy is a great deal financially and a great way to start your flight training. But it's not the only way. Look in to national CAP flight scholarships, the Spaatz Association's scholarships, or get a part-time job to save up for some flight instruction with a local pilot and CAP plane. Where there's a will there's a way.

It's alright to be disappointed, but you can wallow in it or you can start looking for Plan B.
Like I said on other replies "Most of them are filled I applied for SWR and NER flight academy. I am an alternate for SWR and my chain of command is slowing me down to get approved for NER. I really dont want to do it next year as I will graduate from high school (hopefully with a Mitchell) and will be going to college in another state with my family." My chain of command is being a problem and I just emailed my commander directly a few minutes ago.

Tim Day

Is your chain of command being a problem?

My question to you is why are you still a C/SrA?

Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Full time cadet

Quote from: Tim Day on April 23, 2015, 01:01:47 PM
Is your chain of command being a problem?

My question to you is why are you still a C/SrA?
Not a C/SrA anymore. Just got promoted yesterday to C/SSgt with my Wright Brothers. Hopefully around January next year I'm a Mitchell Cadet.