These Guys Again (Brazilian Civil Air Patrol)`

Started by JC004, January 15, 2015, 11:27:42 AM

JC004

I saw this item on eBay.  Brazilian Civil Air Patrol cap insignia.

I honestly don't get these people.  Brazil is its own country with its own distinct history, traditions, and symbols.  Why they use things like our Great Seal of the United States, or our national motto is really beyond me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brazil-Civil-Air-Patrol-Hat-Badge-/391028875096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0b231f58

They also have videos on YouTube now.  I don't speak their language, so I can't find out why they have OUR members in their videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SFeUaIkdCw

These guys:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Luis R. Ramos

That is probably a result of the United States going over there!

During WWII, the United States went to a lot of countries, in some establishing bases for the security of the US.

Many South American countries grabbed old Second World War destroyers and other ships once the war was over.

That country is its own country. Why did they have to use OUR ships!

How silly that sounds!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Luis R. Ramos

I also found a Patrulla Aerea Civil de Colombia.

Or Colombian Civil Air Patrol.

Flies twin-engine. And treats people with medical needs, doing more in  this aspect than we do.
Squadron Safety Officer

bflynn

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

THRAWN

We spent the last 200+ years going around the world and preaching our brand of democracy. Do you not expect some of our symbology and images to not become part of the international norm?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JC004

They didn't get their origins in WWII, nor are they simply attempting to copy American values or something.  They actually use photos of our cadets in their marketing materials and such.  They've also taken photos of CAP members from our publications and Photoshopped them.  It's very strange.

A while ago, they actually took CAPTalk user jimmydeanno's wife:   >:D
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5363.msg247672#msg247672

I'm actually interested to learn who was involved in this in the 60's, and how that person was associated with CAP.  I can't seem to get that information, though, partly because of language issues.  They've said in the past there was some US CAP colonel/general who made theirs. 

LSThiker

Quote from: JC004 on January 15, 2015, 02:22:25 PM
I'm actually interested to learn who was involved in this in the 60's, and how that person was associated with CAP.  I can't seem to get that information, though, partly because of language issues.  They've said in the past there was some US CAP colonel/general who made theirs.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, we used to send cadets to Brazil for IACE.  Just an interesting tidbit. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

A Brazilian P-47 squadron flew with the USAAF in the Second World War and put their roundel in the centre of our "star and bar:"

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7601-7700/gal7689-P-47-Baudru/00.shtm

The UK also has a Civil Air Patrol, but they have no affiliation with the RAF and don't use any of our symbology:

http://www.ukcivilairpatrol.co.uk/

That certainly is an interesting little yellow plane.

I don't think they even wear uniforms of any kind.

They're also relatively young, having been formed in 2000.

Canada has one too, though it's not called Civil Air Patrol.  They also seem to be more closely associated with the RCAF.

http://www.casara.ca/

They also seem to have a more logical system of titling for their aircrews, with their wings being very close to equivalent RCAF ones:

http://www.casara.ca/membership/roles-qualifications/
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JC004

I've heard of a few, including Columbia and Australia (http://auscap.org.au/), but have never heard of any claiming direct involvement of some high-ranking CAP person, as with Brazil. 

None of the others seem to steal the wives of CAP members, as far as I can tell.

The UK kind has some very small planes.  While I was thinking that, I saw a picture of one of their people holding his plane in his hand.  Seems excessively small...

The CyBorg is destroyed

The Aussies seem more quasi-RAAF mixed with airline, at least in their insignia - the gent on the far right is wearing Australian military ribbons.

I don't know why our Brazilian cousins see the need to nick so much off us...their Air Force is actually quite capable and has traditions of its own.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JC004

After I saw the eBay item, I got curious to see if I could find any other similar insignia. 

I didn't see anything like that in use, and I still saw the older Photoshopped shots of our members they took, but I saw this photo, and I was hoping to find out more about their actual activities.  I couldn't really find anything very descriptive. 

It seems like they might do some worthy humanitarian things....I just can't find out what exactly they are, and their promotional videos were loaded with shots of our cadets doing stuff.

This is interesting, and has a lot of our cadets in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SFeUaIkdCw

jeders

They used to have a fairly nice, though stealing heavily from us, web presence. That seems to be gone now as the only things I can find are a Wordpress site and a Facebook page where they seem to have also co-opted the U.N. insignia and colors. They have the picture of the Thunderbird and CAP Cessna at an airshow with a caption that says these are the two types of planes the USA CAP uses.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SarDragon

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 15, 2015, 01:27:08 PM
That is probably a result of the United States going over there!

During WWII, the United States went to a lot of countries, in some establishing bases for the security of the US.

Many South American countries grabbed old Second World War destroyers and other ships once the war was over.

That country is its own country. Why did they have to use OUR ships!

How silly that sounds!

They didn't "grab" them. The US had extras; the other countries bought them. Win-win for all concerned.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

But WHY did they have to BUY OUR ships!!!!!!!

You understand this is sarcasm, no? Just as it was in my earlier message!

Are you a lawyer? If it was wrong for them to use our symbols, why were they NOT sued in an International court? Maybe they requested special use, maybe the corporation did not cover in time the legality for them not to use those symbols. At this time it is too late to complain, as it appears to be one of the things the US exported abroad.

It was probably another case similar to Old Navy using WWII squadron patches and other insignias in their clothing...
Squadron Safety Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 16, 2015, 12:54:08 PM
why were they NOT sued in an International court?

International Court of Justice is almost a joke as they do not have any binding.  They have no power to enforce anything.  The defendants are not required to show and will not face any penalties if they do not.  Also, only countries are allowed to be present.  Corporations, NGOs, parts of federal governments (our states), UN organizations, etc are excluded from participating directly.  So taking them to court would be a waste of time and money in all honesty.   

JC004

It goes out of the arena of adopting CAP's symbols and crosses into just plain bizarre that they use our members and Photoshop them. 

It's also pretty strange to take things like the Great Seal of the United States and stick their acronym on it. 

LSThiker

Quote from: JC004 on January 16, 2015, 04:44:02 PM
It goes out of the arena of adopting CAP's symbols and crosses into just plain bizarre that they use our members and Photoshop them.

Not bizarre, just simple plagiarism.  Some countries do not put the same value against plagiarism as we do in the US or other countries.  They cannot create their own so they just stole the information and pictures.

As far as the "connection" between the US CAP and the Brazil CAP, it was probably made up so long ago.  It was never questioned and probably just accepted as fact by their "members" and community.  Chances are it makes them feel more important to be part of the "US" and makes them feel good to be a part of something larger than their country.   

Luis R. Ramos

Whatever it is, it just does not make me upset in the least. They want to use ou symbols? Fine. They want to use our seal? Excellent!!! Imitation is the nicest form of flatery.

But using photos of our cadets and personnel? Nope, that is wrong.
Squadron Safety Officer

usafcap1

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

LTCinSWR

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 18, 2015, 02:21:51 PM
I think I found their one of websites.

http://www.patrulhacivil.com.br/

From my rudimentary Portuguese, that seems to be a 'rebranded' Brazilian CAP, with elements of the Red Cross, Fire Service / EMS and Scouting blended in. Seems like more a way to develop future emergency services providers and allows adults to continue their passion for public service.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

Luis R. Ramos

No these are not the same people.

Spanish is similar to Portuguese although there are some mayor differences.

In the insignia, translated: Civil Patrol under these, the word for Rescue.

Under the wing, Help and Rescue (or) First Aid and Rescue.

The words in gray, the sentence that begins as O can be translated to The Biggest (or largest) Training Center in Brazil.

Remember that in the OP message they had the word Aerea. These guys do not.

It seems to me they are a private ES training center for the same things that LTC states.
Squadron Safety Officer

LTCinSWR

Thanks - my Portuguese is rustier than I thought!
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters