Main Menu

Thinking about joining

Started by ALockwood, January 09, 2014, 03:08:23 AM

ALockwood

Hey Everyone,

I recently heard about the Civil Air Patrol and I have been entertaining the thought of joining when I am able. At 16 I'm not sure if I am getting a late start to the program, or if it matters or not. I would also like to know a bit of the activities that are commonly done at meetings, and a little about what is done outside of the meetings. Any other additional information would be great! :D

Thanks in advance!

Walkman

Every unit is a little different, so it wil be hard to say what to expect for weekly activities. You'll have some sort of a mix of Aerospace Ed, Emergency Serices, Leadership, and PT among other things. The best thing to do in this case is to locate units in your area and spend some time checkng them out.

As for your age, you can stay a cadet until you are 21, so there is plenty of time to get a full cadet experience. One thing you may find joining at 16 (and this will differ from unit to unit) is there may be cadets younger than you that outrank you. Some people have some trouble following leaders in that circumstance, but others have no problems. That will be something you want to look at when you visit local squadrons.

Welcome to CAP & CAPTalk!

a2capt

16 isn't too late at all, sure- it's four years less which means you've got no real time to blow off if your goal would be 'completing' the four phases of the cadet program. Most shoot for the first two, and you've certainly got plenty of time there.

As for what goes on, that depends a lot on the locale.

http://hosted.where2getit.com/civilairpatrol/

Find a few units and go check 'em out.

ALockwood

Thank you guys. I'm hoping to pay a visit within the next month to the Nellis AFB Squadron so see some of what they do.

a2capt

It's always good to call ahead, especially the ones that meet within a secured facility, so any arrangements can be made as needed..

ALockwood

Yes definitely. I actually managed to get a hold of the commander there, and he said to just come in any Tuesday. So I will definitely be going when I am able

Private Investigator

Quote from: ALockwood on January 09, 2014, 03:31:00 AM
Thank you guys. I'm hoping to pay a visit within the next month to the Nellis AFB Squadron so see some of what they do.

That is a good bunch too. 16 and 17 year olds usually do not like being bossed around by 14 and 15 year olds. But it is a good life lesson. Have fun   :clap:

Garibaldi

Quote from: ALockwood on January 09, 2014, 03:31:00 AM
Just watch out. The entrance to the base is tricky to get into. Timed artillery and whatnot. Man, i need a break from playin Fallout New Vegas...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

ALockwood

"Just watch out. The entrance to the base is tricky to get into. Timed artillery and whatnot. Man, i need a break from playin Fallout New Vegas..."

Yes, yes. That may be a bit tricky. I think if I bring enough people for decoys...