Thesis proposing CAP take over CG Aux aviation duties

Started by RiverAux, March 12, 2013, 11:28:33 PM

RiverAux

Here is a link to a masters thesis by a Coast Guard commander: http://www.uscg.mil/history/auxiliary/docs/BarnerMichaelThesis-Final.pdf

The majority of it is spent analyzing various CG Aux missions, but the primary takeaway is that he proposes that the CG Aux aviation program be ended and that the CG use CAP to perform those missions - See Appendix B in particular.

I've actually thought that this was a worthwhile idea for a long time, particularly in inland areas. 

However, this report glosses over the problems CAP might have in meeting far offshore taskings. 

Майор Хаткевич

Devil Doc

I think it is a great Idea, gives us more Mission  ;D
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Flying Pig

I dont know much about the USCG Aux.... but I had this very conversation a couple years ago with another member.   Seemed like a good idea over dinner anyway!

♠SARKID♠

I can agree with it, though I'd like to know if it's feasible for us to take over any kind of open water missions they might have, given our restrictions on such things.

Brad

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 13, 2013, 04:55:41 AM
I can agree with it, though I'd like to know if it's feasible for us to take over any kind of open water missions they might have, given our restrictions on such things.

If you look at the requirements here: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Extended_Overwater_Reqs_26DFF2369D181.pdf it's not really too much of a stretch, they're just wanting to have their bases covered in case something happens to the aircraft and it is outside of gliding distance to land. For coastal squadrons that would have regular need for these resources, getting people trained and proficient for extended over-water ops isn't that hard.

I've flown an extended over-water mission under Homeland Security training and it wasn't that bad. All we had to do was stick the raft in the back and factor its weight and have the lollipop life vests on. Bear in mind this was during spring/summer in SC but still...

It's definitely doable and would free up the Coast Guard to devote more resources to sea rescue itself as opposed to having to allocate aerial spotters. Because let's face it, unless you're in a helicopter that's all you're gonna be able to do is spot the target for the boat crew in the water going after 'em.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Texas Raiders

Quote from: Brad on March 13, 2013, 07:28:37 AMBecause let's face it, unless you're in a helicopter that's all you're gonna be able to do is spot the target for the boat crew in the water going after 'em.

Coast Guard fixed wing aircraft make drops of various equipment and supplies including, medical supplies, radios, dewatering pumps, life rafts, etc. to vessels/persons in distress.  They establish communications with the vessel or mariner and provide amplifying reports to other responding units because of their capbility to remain on station for extended periods of time. 

Few CAP and CGAux aircraft can offer the same capabilites, but can offer very valuable assistance.  Locating a vessel or person in distress is a major undertaking.  Wind, sea state, and currents are just a few things that affect the complexity of the search.  Finding a vessel is much easier than finding a person in the water.  Once you have located that vessel or person/s your continued presence on scene provides a valuable resource to other responding units through communication and possibly, aerial photography.

Long Island Sound becomes an extremely busy area with huge amounts of boating traffic throughout the summer months.  CT wing aircrews fly regular sorties in support of a program called the Long Island Sound Patrol and have proven themselves an asset by spotting and reporting supsicious vessel activity, spotting vessels/persons in distress, and providing assitance to the US Coast Guard. 
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

davedove

Quote from: Texas Raiders on March 13, 2013, 03:33:06 PM
Long Island Sound becomes an extremely busy area with huge amounts of boating traffic throughout the summer months.  CT wing aircrews fly regular sorties in support of a program called the Long Island Sound Patrol and have proven themselves an asset by spotting and reporting supsicious vessel activity, spotting vessels/persons in distress, and providing assitance to the US Coast Guard.

Maryland Wing does something very similar over the Chesapeake Bay.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Woodsy

Florida Wing does overwater ops all the time...  There's no "restriction" on it, other than the aircrew having to complete water survival training.  We had our wing conference this past weekend, and I was talking with one of our wing Ops guys.  He Was joking about our unofficial list of members that have seen 3 countries from a CAP plane (US, Cuba and Bahamas.) 

Flying Pig

Quote from: Woodsy on March 13, 2013, 05:09:29 PM
Florida Wing does overwater ops all the time...  There's no "restriction" on it, other than the aircrew having to complete water survival training.  We had our wing conference this past weekend, and I was talking with one of our wing Ops guys.  He Was joking about our unofficial list of members that have seen 3 countries from a CAP plane (US, Cuba and Bahamas.)
Uh oh now youve done it..... this is going to turn in to a discussion about deployment ribbons

NIN

Annnd, here comes the call for Partenavias again....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Woodsy

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 13, 2013, 05:16:16 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on March 13, 2013, 05:09:29 PM
Uh oh now youve done it..... this is going to turn in to a discussion about deployment ribbons

haha, It doesn't count unless they land!  Heck, I'll take it farther and say unless they spend the night! 

Now, that pilot that had to divert to the Dominican Republic because of weather for 2 days while ferrying a plane down to Puerto Rico Wing....   Funny, the radar showed it as being clear...  hahaha  (Just kidding)

Flying Pig

Quote from: NIN on March 13, 2013, 05:18:51 PM
Annnd, here comes the call for Partenavias again....

Ill call your Partenavia and raise you a Skymaster!

The CyBorg is destroyed

WIWACGAUXie, I hoped to get involved with AuxAir.

However, I never met anyone who was involved with it...even someone who had qualified as aircrew.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Sounds good to me....

As for the "restictions" CAP has.......it is a simple matter of rewriting the regulations.  and as was pointed out.....most of those restrictions are just good common sense.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

The oil and gas industry has no issues flying single engine helicopters 100 miles out to sea......  I think CAP would do OK flying a C182 a little bit past the breakers. 

Huey Driver

I don't know if this was mentioned in the doc, or at least I didn't see it, but CG Aux also supports practice intercept missions as targets for CG heli's. We'd also acquire this mission which wouldn't be a problem, considering we already do Fertile Keynote with the AF.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

BillB

CAP has a long history of over water operations. Examples are the anti-sub coastal patrols, and several coastal Wings still run Sundown Patrols for boaters indistress.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104