Main Menu

Dogtags

Started by usafcap1, April 25, 2012, 12:38:52 AM

usafcap1

Quote from: SarDragon
Why do you need dog tags?

My squadron got an engraving machine so we could sell engraved dog tags @ events like fairs, etc to raise money for things like scholarships for our members to attend different events such as encampment.
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: titanII on April 27, 2012, 02:20:51 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on April 27, 2012, 01:58:43 AM
Another good use for dogtags is to put your name, adress, and phone # on them along with your pet's name and attach them to their collar along with their vaccination tags. or attach them to anything else you want to readily identify as yours.
....I see what you did there, Sir.  ;D

Mine are as follows:

QuoteCHEWY
800 S STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60607
(XXX) XXX-XXXX

QuoteFOXY
800 S STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60607
(XXX) XXX-XXXX

I also have them micro-chipped. :)

NateF

I always enjoy reading a post that is made up of nearly infinite quantities of condescension.

The question here was what the standard information is and in what order. The question was followed almost instantly by posts asking "why do you need dog tags". That's alright, has nothing to do with the question, but its not condescending. What gets me is the number of comments saying things like, "because they are military wannabe's", and even better, comments like, "Dog tags are for when you get blown up, CAP doesn't need them".

I just don't understand why anyone would take that route. If one were to extend this logic to the regular military, they would have no reason to wear their tags unless in the field or deployed. Even in that case, the DoD has DNA samples from all soldiers, sailors and airmen, so does the regular military need them, or are servicemen just wannabe's longing to be a part of the period when there was no DNA testing or CAC cards providing positive identification?

Of course, that is all a little foolish isn't it? I am of the belief that dog tags would not be a bad idea for CAP to mandate for ES operations, particularly for aircrews and ground teams. In neither case is a body going to require dog tags to identify them if there was a mishap that resulted in a members death, but that isn't the only thing dog tags are for.

Dog tags serve up three very important pieces of info, even for CAP and what we do for operations:

1. Blood Type - Not a bad thing for medical personnel to have handy if someone did get seriously injured.
2. Religious Affiliation - Once again, with a deceased or injured member, you have the information needed to accommodate religious demands, in the most unfortunate circumstances should they arise.

And finally, I think this is the most important one of all:

3. A red medical dog tag with allergies and medical conditions listed. Now this is important. If a member was hurt at a cadet or senior activity, there should be similar medical info on their forms (at least on a CAPF 31). However, that isn't terribly useful for ground teams, even if, for some reason, there were 31's or another form elsewhere. Sure, you could keep a list in your pocket, which should hold up well when you get wet, or if it takes a spin in the washer or dryer, or when no one can read your hand writing.

I got out of the Army about a year ago, and I don't think I have even taken my dog tags off since I joined in 2004. In fact, I've have been considering ordering at least red medical tags for cadets with medical conditions at this years encampment.

When I was in the service, they were more of a rectangle sort of shape, a bit bigger than the typical non-magnetic, steel, dog tags that every soldier is issued. Given that this tag in particular is absolutely no different from a medical alert bracelet, except it's likely more comfortable to wear and has no reason why you would need to take it off when you are showering or whatever.

https://www.armydogtags.com/a_Medical.php
Nathan Fellows, Capt
MEWG DCP

Pylon

^^This.  Thank you.

Another fine example of the CAPTalk dog pile tendency.

I know plenty of fellow Marines who wear their dog tags pretty much permanently.  Heck, I'm wearing mine right now at my apartment.  Completely unnecessary?  Probably.  Do service members absolutely need them while they're shopping for groceries, on libo, at the bar, or playing golf?  Not any more or less than anybody else including CAP members need to, but some here will conveniently ignore portions of the facts to fit their agenda.  Combat is not the exclusive domain of dog tags.  Once again, let's keep the conversations here civil.  Just because you don't subscribe to an idea doesn't mean you need to bash another person for wanting to do it -- especially some of our more motivated younger members.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Noble Six

I wear my tags every day.  Honestly it feels weird if I do not.  Let cadets wear them.  It is not hurting anyone.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

NateF

Exactly, not hurting anyone in the least, and in all likelihood no harm or degradation of CAP's image will come of it, and there are lots of positives, like a few other people have mentioned.

One other thought, I have a CAP mini-van assigned to me, I've never needed the spare tire, should I take that out? I'm actually sure that I've needed my dog tags more often.
Nathan Fellows, Capt
MEWG DCP

bflynn

Very well, I retract my earlier statement and apologize.  Thank you for educating me.