Main Menu

Dogtags

Started by usafcap1, April 25, 2012, 12:38:52 AM

Flying Pig

When the Marines formed (in a bar) they were put on the ships to do mens work....fight.  Nuff said.  237 years later........

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 25, 2012, 09:11:15 PM
When the Marines formed (in a bar) they were put on the ships to do mens work....fight.  Nuff said.  237 years later........
Sir, what about females?

SEXIST  >:D
^Joking for the more serious of the group
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

abdsp51

Take a look the Corps seal and you'll Department of The Navy before United States Marine Corp.

CAP_Marine

Somebody's got to drive us around and sign the paychecks!

Flying Pig

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 25, 2012, 09:27:36 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on April 25, 2012, 09:11:15 PM
Sir, what about females?

SEXIST  >:D
^Joking for the more serious of the group
How dare you be prejudice.... oh wait...that was a joke huh

Flying Pig

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 25, 2012, 09:32:24 PM
Take a look the Corps seal and you'll Department of The Navy before United States Marine Corp.

It was in the MOU.  Darn lawyers were screwing things up back then too!

Pylon

Yeah, we're part of the Navy. The men's department.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 25, 2012, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 25, 2012, 03:51:52 PM
And isn't that so that their clothing can be identified on laundry day?

No, it's so you can identify your troops from the rear, though not sure if they still do that with the NWU, as the "above the right rear pocket" area
is no longer visible.

Still do it on MARPAT cammies.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: Pylon on April 25, 2012, 09:55:58 PM

:clap: :clap:

bflynn

Quote from: Pylon on April 25, 2012, 09:55:58 PM

You're the Navy's personal Army.  You're what I always meant when I said "Oh, you're in the Army?  Yeah, we've got one of those too."

Pylon

Quote from: bflynn on April 26, 2012, 01:02:55 PM
You're the Navy's personal Army.  You're what I always meant when I said "Oh, you're in the Army?  Yeah, we've got one of those too."

Hey, you can pretend like we're your personal Army all you want, as long as you Navy guys get us where we want to play and keep sending us BAMF Corpsmen.  My A-- Rides In Navy Equipment, but once we're on land, all bets are off: we'll be doing what we do best.  Okay, well, second best after NJPs...
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cliff_Chambliss

A writer mentioned dogtags as a "marker". Unfortunately that is a road I had to travel.  It was my oldest daughters senior year in high school (1989) and she and her fiance (Troy) and her friends were at the school practicing their graduation stunts. The phone rang and it was our younger daughters best friend and she was sayint there was a bad car wreck down the road from her house and it looked like her brother's (Troy's) car and she was scared.  My wife and I drove down and it was in fact Troy's car.   The sheriff was on site and said there was one fatality and one still trapped in the car and asked if I could make an identification.  The car was upside down and there were extensive facial injuries to both occupants and since Troy and his best friend were in the habit of swapping clothes even remembering what he was wearing when he was at our house was not a reliable hint.  Everyone was thinking that since it was Troy's car he would be the one driving.  Bad assumption, it was not Troy driving but his friend but we did not know this until after they had cut Troy from the car and found he was wearing his Dad's dogtags.
Then it was a long 5 miles home to tell my daughter her fiance had been killed.
Kids being kids, swapping clothes and car, not carryng their ID on their persons.  Fears, uncertainities, hopes, and then the terrible truth being known early on because of an old set of dogtags. 
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Major Lord

A little off-topic, but the Marines are awesome, even the female marines! I think of the debt our Country owes them, and how we have let them down in so many ways. From Congressman Murtha's baseless accusations resulting in failed Court's Marshall against Marines in the so-called "Haditha" incident, to having the Navy leave them on Wake Island to face capture or death while they sailed off into the sunset.

Personally, I would not be alive if it had not been for the Marine Corp. First, my Grandfather married a Spanish lady in Nicaragua when the Corp was down there chasing banditos. In another incident, they saved my bacon in Honduras, and last, they saved me from a gang of Crips in the Los Angeles bus terminal, when the young lads had me outnumbered 8 to 1, and I had only my trusty 5 shot S&W model 36. In Hurricane Katrina, they kicked butt and took no names, and when an Army Corp of Engineer civilian group was fired upon, well, lets just say that Uncle Sam's Misguided Children made one more house into a heap of rubble.

If America had a Samurai Class, it would consist entirely of Marines. The Navy would be their porters, but with big rifles on their ships, and some good air support, the canoe club can be forgiven for their village-people fascination with all things Uniform.....Sound like anybody we know?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

johnnyb47

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on April 26, 2012, 02:11:19 PM
A writer mentioned dogtags as a "marker". Unfortunately that is a road I had to travel.  It was my oldest daughters senior year in high school (1989) and she and her fiance (Troy) and her friends were at the school practicing their graduation stunts. The phone rang and it was our younger daughters best friend and she was sayint there was a bad car wreck down the road from her house and it looked like her brother's (Troy's) car and she was scared.  My wife and I drove down and it was in fact Troy's car.   The sheriff was on site and said there was one fatality and one still trapped in the car and asked if I could make an identification.  The car was upside down and there were extensive facial injuries to both occupants and since Troy and his best friend were in the habit of swapping clothes even remembering what he was wearing when he was at our house was not a reliable hint.  Everyone was thinking that since it was Troy's car he would be the one driving.  Bad assumption, it was not Troy driving but his friend but we did not know this until after they had cut Troy from the car and found he was wearing his Dad's dogtags.
Then it was a long 5 miles home to tell my daughter her fiance had been killed.
Kids being kids, swapping clothes and car, not carryng their ID on their persons.  Fears, uncertainities, hopes, and then the terrible truth being known early on because of an old set of dogtags.
A somber reminder of what dog tags, now often viewed as a novelty item, were originally intended to be.
Thank you for sharing that and no matter how long ago or recent I'm still sorry for your loss.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AngelWings

Dogtags are amazing identification for ANYONE, not just the military. If that is being a wannabe, then I guess I love being one and think everyone should be a wannabe. Plastic melts in fires, meat tags (tattoo's with your information on them) can be destroyed with the rest of the skin in a fire, any disfiguring injury can stop visual recongnition, and sometimes a body can be so badly charred that you'd need to run bone marrow to identify someone. I wouldn't doubt that most of you would rather pay $5.00-10.00 for something that can save your family time and money identifying you just in case you are in a freak accident. The stories here prove this.

bflynn

Quote from: Littleguy on April 26, 2012, 09:47:53 PMDogtags are amazing identification for ANYONE, not just the military.

Yes, and if you want to have dogtags for your personal identification, I think that's great.  I carried mine on my keys for years, but because it had my SSN on it, I quit.

If you want to have dogtags because it's cool solider gear...well, I think that's where this started, not with the utility of dogtags for identification.

nathan88

I had some made they say my first and last name CAPID and USAF AUX
C/A1C Nathan T. Hughs
3rd Element Leader
Gainesville Composite Squadron
      Georgia Wing
      Civil Air Patrol

titanII

Quote from: Pylon on April 26, 2012, 01:47:11 PM
My A-- Rides In Navy Equipment
I probably shouldn't say this where you're a Marine and a site administrator, but I've heard this one before:
Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential
>:D

This was a joke, in good humor. Many of the members of the USMC are, in fact, intelligent.
No longer active on CAP talk

ol'fido

Another good use for dogtags is to put your name, adress, and phone # on them along with your pet's name and attach them to their collar along with their vaccination tags. or attach them to anything else you want to readily identify as yours.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Blank dogtag + label maker + vehicle keys = end to vehicle key confusion.

titanII

Quote from: ol'fido on April 27, 2012, 01:58:43 AM
Another good use for dogtags is to put your name, adress, and phone # on them along with your pet's name and attach them to their collar along with their vaccination tags. or attach them to anything else you want to readily identify as yours.
....I see what you did there, Sir.  ;D
No longer active on CAP talk