Tim Medeiros leaving for BMT

Started by spaatzmom, January 31, 2011, 10:24:00 PM

spaatzmom

Well, today is the day.  Tim has left for basic training in the Air Force at Lackland AFB, Texas.  He is really excited about this new chapter in his life, as can be seen in his away message, "I'm spreading my wings, ready to take flight and soar like the dragons of old."

I know he will do well.  He has dreamed of this since he was a tiny little boy.  What a grin when he walked out the door.  If anyone wants to write to Tim while he is away, please let me know and I will forward his mailing address as soon as I get it.

The  house is quiet, but that is ok, I can handle that with no problem.  The dogs will keep me busy enough along with work.

Deborah Medeiros

coudano

Keep the mail flowing as often as possible.
Getting mail can make a bad day much better.
watching everybody else get mail and not getting any...   sucks.

And more days at BMT are bad than not
mehhh

Spaceman3750

A trainer at NESA this year did something cool for one of his friends in BMT - at NESA, everyone he could get to do it he handed a postcard and asked them to write some words of encouragement. He then collected and mailed them so his friend would always have mail. Maybe you can try to do this at his squadron or group?

NCRblues

some words of advice.

Have a pen and paper handy all the time, his first phone call is going to be about 60 seconds long and he will read off his flight number squadron number and address on lackland for the squadron. (mine was flight 435, 331st squadron ext...)

Write as much as you can. Mail is so important in basic training, but make sure its in a sealed envelope...my TI had a tendency to read post cards out loud  >:D.

He will hate it while he is there, but after graduation (which is an amazing thing, i hope you plan on attending) he will think back on it and find out it was a great experience in his life. I know i did, and truth be told....i would do basic again...cause i had the time of my life.

He has chosen well, the AF will teach him good things.

Congratulations mom!!  ;D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

spaatzmom

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 31, 2011, 10:35:10 PM
A trainer at NESA this year did something cool for one of his friends in BMT - at NESA, everyone he could get to do it he handed a postcard and asked them to write some words of encouragement. He then collected and mailed them so his friend would always have mail. Maybe you can try to do this at his squadron or group?

That is a very good idea, but unfortunately he is at wing and region, so very difficult for me to do.  I thought since he is fairly well known throughout a great part of the country and Captalk it might be an alternative.

NIN

With some of the pranksters around here, he might get more than a postcard!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: coudano on January 31, 2011, 10:28:00 PM

watching everybody else get mail and not getting any...   sucks.

I would like to emphasis this- happened to me a lot at boot camp for the CG

Hill CAP

Debbie,

When you get Tim's address please let me know. He has worked so hard for this day and I am proud to say I not only know him through CAP but as a friend.

Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

DogCollar

Hi Debbie,

My son, Alex, left for Army BMT on 13 September 2010 and graduated on 26 November 2010.  I don't think I could've been any prouder of him on graduation day than I was!!  As others have said, write often...we didn't get many letters back, but we did get short phone calls on Sunday nights.  He said that getting mail from home was really, really important.

By all means, get to his graduation.  It's a pretty big deal and I'm so glad that we went.  He graduated from Ft. Sill, OK.  My wife and I drove from Richmond, VA and back.  We took a few extra days and made it a nice mini-vacation.

You are right, the house feels guiet and empty for awhile.  Eventually, we've gotten used to it.  We've used the time to do somethings that we've neglected while he was at home.  His going into the military, so far, has been a great decision for him.  He loves it, which makes us very happy.

I wish you, your whole family, and especially Tim, God's blessings!
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Spartan

I don't know how the AF does basic, but every piece of mail we got was 25 push ups.  If BMT at Lackland has "fun" like Ft. Benning does, he will appreciate the encouragement and well wishes, but may not like the volume of mail.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Spartan on February 02, 2011, 09:23:55 PM

I don't know how the AF does basic, but every piece of mail we got was 25 push ups.  If BMT at Lackland has "fun" like Ft. Benning does, he will appreciate the encouragement and well wishes, but may not like the volume of mail.

Since said instructor has been through Lackland himself I'm guessing that he considered that possibility beforehand.

Spartan

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 02, 2011, 09:28:53 PM
Quote from: Spartan on February 02, 2011, 09:23:55 PM

Since said instructor has been through Lackland himself I'm guessing that he considered that possibility beforehand.

Insert hysterical laughter here

ColonelJack

First of all, Debbie ... please pass along my best to Tim and my wishes for all the best in BMT.  Oh heaven, the memories this brings up ... 35 years later, I can still smell the cologne my TI wore the first time he got into my face.  (And the second, and the third, and the fourth,........)

I know what not getting a lot of mail felt like ... and strongly encourage that you -- and all his friends -- write as often as possible.  They've changed AF BMT since I was there in '75, but it's still a major life challenge.  And, like NCRBlues, I'd do it again too.  In a minute.  (That is, assuming I was still 17, and not in my 50s.)

Remind me to tell you some time about the first time my junior TI "noticed" me ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 02, 2011, 09:39:57 PMRemind me to tell you some time about the first time my junior TI "noticed" me ...

Jack

Not to go off topic, but....

I'd like to hear this story, if you don't mind.

I only got into trouble a few times at CG boot camp, so I'll tell the worst thing that happened to me individually

We were in firefighting, which is week 5 or 6. The company commanders-CCs (think TI or DI) were not present as the class was taught by other instructors. Since we finished early, we were told to wait for our CC's to pick us up. We were not allowed to talk to each other, or slouch in our chairs, the only thing we were allowed to do was study or practice knots.

Unbeknownst to most of the company, our CC's came early and were watching most of the company screw around through the windows at the back of the classroom. The CC's took us outside and prepared to march us to wherever we went next.

The CC said something to the effect of "You guys want to act like a bunch of civilians? Untuck your shirts and turn your hats backward- TURN LEFT, FORWARD, GO, DO NOT STAY IN STEP."

I must have let out a slight smirk, the CC ran up to me, got in my face, chewed me out hardcore (spit in your face type), threw my rucksack like 20 feet, and grabbed me by the shirt collar and "removed" me from the formation.

For the next couple days I had to march behind the company. Thankfully, none of the other CC's bothered me, and I never personally got yelled at the rest of the time there.

I did have to report to the quarterdeck for a nightly incentive training session for a few days. That SUCKED. I thought it was unfair because that was the first time I got into trouble, and most of the other people there were hooligans. But I guess I earned it....

It was good times, would do it over in a heartbeat.

ColonelJack

/off topic on/

Okay ... it wasn't anything bad but somewhat embarrassing ... and it gave me a "job" I didn't want, but it all worked out fine.

The second day of BMT we were all lined up to get our shots, and I had had to speak to the junior TI (SSgt Williams, a very large and imposing individual).  Afterward, I did a smart about-face and headed back to my place...

"Airman Bagley!  Get back up here!"  SSgt Williams had an imposing voice as well.

I ran up, saluted, barked, "Sir!  Airman Bagley reports as ordered!"  (We weren't called "Trainees" then ... you got called Airman from the first day you got to Lackland.)

Williams glared at me.  "Where did you learn how to do that?"

"Sir?" I asked, somewhat perplexed.

"That about-face!  Where did you learn that?"

I said, "Sir, I had two years of Army ROTC in high school."

Williams looked at the clipboard he had in his hand.  He got somewhat red and said, "Then why didn't you tell SSgt Bong (our senior TI) that when he asked who had ROTC training yesterday?"

I said, "Sir, if I recall correctly, SSgt Bong asked if anyone had three years of ROTC experience.  I only had two, sir."

Williams stood back a bit, smiled grimly, and said, "You're right.  He did.  Back in line, Airman."

When we got back to our dormitory, I found out I was a squad leader for the rest of BMT.  (They call 'em elements now, but back in '75....)

That's my story.  We now return you to your original discussion.

Jack

/off topic off/
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Earhart1971

SSgt Bong was an Assitant TI to SSgt Standifer in my Flight at Lackland. 3704 BMTS Dec 74 to Feb 75.

They always plan to have you arrive after midnight. You eat, then under the overhang of the 1000 man dorm in the dark.

Darkness and silence. You stand there in formation with 60 other recruits

Door opens - Light - Door closes darkness

Click Click Click of Horse Taps on Boots

Pick em up, put em down!

TI motions to follow, we follow up stairs.

It all flows from there!

We lost about 10% of our flight due to non hackers and medical problems.

Air Force Basic is not easy.

ColonelJack

Wow ... another person who remembers SSgt Bong!  Incredible!!

I remember vividly his first-night talk to us ... including the classic line, "...unless you turn chicken-s***, in which case I don't want you in my Air Force."

That man terrified me for three weeks ... then he became almost -- ALMOST -- human.

And I will never forget what I learned from him.  I don't remember what I had for breakfast, but I remember what I learned from SSgt Bong.

He was my Senior TI in Flight 373, 3704 BMTS, Nov 75 to Jan 76.  Wow.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Earhart1971

Bong was nice, LOL!

Standifer was crazy the first night.

I was standing next to a guy in the bay, that was messing up with dog tag chain rite of passage. In other words he could not figure out the little chain goes on the big chain.

Standifer came up and grabbed the chain (which was around the kids neck) and yelled are you a DUMB ASS?

Standifer played the bad cop, and Bong played the good Cop.

In touch with Standifer to this day. Great memories.

coudano

Quote from: Earhart1971 on February 04, 2011, 03:20:05 AM
Air Force Basic is not easy.

Eh, it's easy and not easy.
No single task that they ask you to do is particularly difficult (indeed most of it is mind numbingly simple --people still manage to screw it up anyway).

The difficult thing is acclimating to the change (acclimating to the military lifestyle), and tolerating the stress.
If you acclimate well, it's a snap...  just do what you're told and enjoy the ride.
If you are hard headed and resistant, you're gonna fight the whole way and hate every minute.

Either way, it's an eye opening and life changing experience.

caphornbuckle

A little tip when sending stuff to people in AF BMT:

Avoid sending "care packages".  They will have what they need during BMT.

Girlfriends/Boyfriends/Spouses:  DO NOT send provocative pictures of yourself or from magazines! (some in my unit during BMT had "issues" with this one from our TI).  Hopefully, this won't apply to parents, family members, etc.! >:D This also applies to postcards!

Just a couple of friendly notes for those who are reading this! ;)
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

BillB

Tim should have no problems adjusting to BMT life having attended several Florida Wing encampments as both cadet and senior. I predict he'll be wearing butter bars within two years.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ColonelJack

Quote from: Earhart1971 on February 04, 2011, 03:40:00 AM
Bong was nice, LOL!

Standifer was crazy the first night.

I was standing next to a guy in the bay, that was messing up with dog tag chain rite of passage. In other words he could not figure out the little chain goes on the big chain.

Standifer came up and grabbed the chain (which was around the kids neck) and yelled are you a DUMB ASS?

Standifer played the bad cop, and Bong played the good Cop.

In touch with Standifer to this day. Great memories.

Of course Bong was nice ... he was the Team Member.  When I had him, he was Team Chief, and he exhilirated in the role. 

Gods, do I remember "Pick 'em up!  Put 'em down!"  And going into the bays for the first time, standing at our wall locker, being told to stare at the locker number until told otherwise.  At 1:00 in the morning.  And it felt like forever until Bong and Williams got back in there.  And the almost endless paperwork ... being shown how to make the bed (Williams showed us and almost screwed it up himself -- and when we laughed we thought he'd have a stroke or something, then he laughed too).  And being dorm guard ("Sir!  Dorm Guard!  Dorm B-114!  How may I help you?").  And seeing Bong smile for the first time about a week before graduation. 

I'd do it again.  (Well, as I said before, if I was 17 again I would.  Not now.  I'm too bloody old.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Earhart1971

I was talking to a Air Force Captain. He started talking about Air Force Training, and mentioned "pick em up, put em down" my comment was "They do that in OTS Too?" No he said, I was enlisted first. I think he said he went through basic in the late 90s. The Tradition of Pick em up put em down continues!

And Col Jack, you went through Christmas in Basic like me. How was Christmas Day?

Air Force Training is not that physical. But they do make up for it in STRESS.

Example: You could mess up a little and it's your last week of training. Hey YOU ARE SET BACK. They can send you back to start the whole thing all over again. We had 3 set back of my flight, one airman was  set back 3 times to start over again and he never made it out. Got a General Discharge, and gone, after 3 tries at basic.

Be prepared to be on EDGE the whole time.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Earhart1971 on February 04, 2011, 04:44:11 PM
And Col Jack, you went through Christmas in Basic like me. How was Christmas Day?

Jeez...I wish you hadn't brought that up.  I was 17, it was my very first Christmas away from my family, and all I really remember about it was that I was very down, we had the bulk of the day "off" (i.e., no scheduled training -- that didn't mean we didn't have to clean the bays, etc.), and we were allowed to attend chapel if we wanted.

Mostly, I remember being very depressed that day.  The rest of it is pretty much a blur.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Earhart1971

Sounds like us but we had KP that day, the whole flight. Got up earlier than usual, over the loud speaker as we are getting up, they are yelling and screaming "Merry  Blanking (you fill in)  Christmas".

And yes depressing, and it was rainy and cold. Texas has its own WORLD OF COLD, like Chicago Cold.

But I told Tim M. 2 yeare ago at the Airshow, go thru basic in the winter months, rather than summer.

ColonelJack

Wow ... KP on Christmas Day?  That's way sucky, my friend.  At least we didn't have that.

I remember Texas cold from that winter ... but it got hot a couple of days in there as well.  The weather never did make up its mind about what season it really was ...

But you gave Tim some OUTSTANDING advice about when to go.  No way would I want to be in San Antonio in summertime, doing what all we had to do. 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

caphornbuckle

I went through basic in late January and was at Lackland until May for AT.  Then I finished AT at Ft. Dix, NJ through the month of May.  It would have been rough to go through Basic in the summer and then go to Dix in the Fall/Winter time!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 05, 2011, 04:28:40 AM
I went through basic in late January and was at Lackland until May for AT.  Then I finished AT at Ft. Dix, NJ through the month of May.  It would have been rough to go through Basic in the summer and then go to Dix in the Fall/Winter time!

Eh, Dix sux pretty much all year round. April and October seem to be the only really tolerable months.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Air Force BMT has gotten more physical, to bring them in line with the standards on the rest of the branch.  I was there a few years ago for 7 level school and they were pting in the moring and afternoon.  There is also their BEAST training as well which is physical. 

coudano

i went through in 2006 which was just before they extended it out to 8 weeks.

we had PT every day except sunday,
and a 1 week BEAST expeditionary training
it was physical.

I believe their BEAST went up to 2 weeks (that's one of the 2 weeks they added)

Jerry Jacobs

I graduated BMT 3 weeks ago. I was there for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, I've got to admit I wish I was at other places for the holidays but they were almost down days.

First thing id advise is to try and be in band flight, for a number of reasons it'll make your BMT experience a little bit more enjoyable. Second is your goal should be your MTI shouldn't learn your name. I went 2 weeks until I became my flights academic monitor at which point he immediately learned my name.

Also BEAST is one week long still, however before going you will know your first aid, tactical movements, how to handle the M16 including assembly and disassembly

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask

coudano

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on February 09, 2011, 04:31:16 AM
I graduated BMT 3 weeks ago. I was there for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, I've got to admit I wish I was at other places for the holidays but they were almost down days.

First thing id advise is to try and be in band flight, for a number of reasons it'll make your BMT experience a little bit more enjoyable. Second is your goal should be your MTI shouldn't learn your name. I went 2 weeks until I became my flights academic monitor at which point he immediately learned my name.

Also BEAST is one week long still, however before going you will know your first aid, tactical movements, how to handle the M16 including assembly and disassembly

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask

Congrats Airman, where are you at for tech school?

AlphaSigOU

Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I enlisted in the Air Force, they used to offer 'Proficiency Advancement' to former CAP and JROTC cadets. Essentially, after the seventh day of training, the six weeks of BMT (back in the day) was compressed to about three. You were handed an appointment sheet and after eating breakfast with your own BMT flight, you were directed to other BMT units in more advanced stages of training. And in between appointments, you were directed to read the BMT study guide and operate as the squadron orderly room runner. Once your appointments were completed for the day, you returned to your flight, usually in time for dinner.

It was NOT easy... out of eight in my flight who were screened for PA, four turned it down, three washed out because of excessive 341s or not satisfactorily completing training requirements during their appointments, and I was the only one who successfully completed the PA program. It was like taking a drink from a fire hose, and I was thoroughly scared; at any moment I expected to hear an MTI bellowing 'AIRMAN CORWAY, GET OVER HERE!' PAs were almost always near the top of the list for 'TI targets' in the training area. I did not relax until the plane that took me to Denver for tech school at Lowry AFB was wheels up.

PA is no longer offered to trainees in BMT.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Jerry Jacobs

Quote from: coudano on February 09, 2011, 05:45:40 AM

Congrats Airman, where are you at for tech school?

Going to be at Keesler AFB for Cyber Transport Systems, after this im going back to my unit at Travis AFB but Im going to be here for a while to say the least haha

SarDragon

I spent a month at Keesler/Biloxi on week.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Earhart1971

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 09, 2011, 04:25:31 PM
Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I enlisted in the Air Force, they used to offer 'Proficiency Advancement' to former CAP and JROTC cadets. Essentially, after the seventh day of training, the six weeks of BMT (back in the day) was compressed to about three. You were handed an appointment sheet and after eating breakfast with your own BMT flight, you were directed to other BMT units in more advanced stages of training. And in between appointments, you were directed to read the BMT study guide and operate as the squadron orderly room runner. Once your appointments were completed for the day, you returned to your flight, usually in time for dinner.

It was NOT easy... out of eight in my flight who were screened for PA, four turned it down, three washed out because of excessive 341s or not satisfactorily completing training requirements during their appointments, and I was the only one who successfully completed the PA program. It was like taking a drink from a fire hose, and I was thoroughly scared; at any moment I expected to hear an MTI bellowing 'AIRMAN CORWAY, GET OVER HERE!' PAs were almost always near the top of the list for 'TI targets' in the training area. I did not relax until the plane that took me to Denver for tech school at Lowry AFB was wheels up.

PA is no longer offered to trainees in BMT.
My recruiter screwed up and did not tell me about this. Half way through they said Oh, you can bypass basic by getting copy of your Mitchell Award. I started the process, but got caught as DORM GUARD during an inspection. Guess what my Security Drawer was opened, LOL, it was a mess. The TI kicked it shut he was so mad. YOU AN't BY PASSING! Just as well, I would have got out only two weeks early. I was enjoying the Drama of training.

spaatzmom

Thank you to all who have sent Tim cards and letters. Please continue to send them.. He is doing well. Even though he was born a Yankee, when it comes to snow and cold weather, he is a definite Southern boy. Tim has been made an element leader and is adjusting well to military ways. Thank you again.

Ed Bos

If anyone cares how this story ended...

After my buddy Frank (Capt Frank deBros, CAP and now 2LT Frank deBros, USA) had been in Basic Training at Fort Sill and was in the process of finishing up OCS at Fort Benning we hatched the brilliant plan to send him 100+ postcards from his "friends" at NESA.

The staff and students filled out the postcards and I paid to have the gift...that was supposed to keep on giving... sent his way.

Earlier in his training Frank had mentioned that he was really glad to get mail. Even if he had to "pay" 10 push-ups for each piece.  >:D

What I didn't know was that by the time he got his 1,140-push-ups worth of postcards HE was the candidate tasked with picking up the mail. The cadre had since stopped the additional charges. *Sigh*

Still a good gag, and I would recommend anyone who tries it shoot for early-to-middle of the training time line.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Spartan

Even if he had to "pay" 10 push-ups for each piece.  >:D

Wow, I feel like I was overcharged for each piece of mail at 25 a pop.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Spartan on February 22, 2011, 08:56:53 PM
Even if he had to "pay" 10 push-ups for each piece.  >:D

Wow, I feel like I was overcharged for each piece of mail at 25 a pop.

Good thing no one addressed the mail to Captain or Major Jones, rather than Private or Airman.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

spaatzmom

Graduation week is upon us and Tim is really excited to start tech school next week at Keesler AFB.  Thanks to all who sent him words of encouragement, they made the last few weeks go by quickly.

PaulR

Congratulations to your son.  What will his specialty be?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: PaulR on March 29, 2011, 04:26:26 AM

Tech School at Keesler implies Communications of some sort.  Unless he got into one of the more obscure ones like "weather."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DBlair

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 29, 2011, 04:43:56 AM

Tech School at Keesler implies Communications of some sort.  Unless he got into one of the more obscure ones like "weather."

If I remember correctly, he was going for an IT specialty.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

SarDragon

I spent a month at Keesler, one week.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spaatzmom

Thank you.  He is as of Friday an Airman First Class.  His tech school is Cyber Ops Security last I knew.

coudano

Spaceman3750

Quote from: spaatzmom on March 29, 2011, 12:48:21 PM

Thank you.  He is as of Friday an Airman First Class.  His tech school is Cyber Ops Security last I knew.

Awesome! The major battles of the century will be fought in the cyber domain - it's an area where we are facing a major uphill fight.

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on March 29, 2011, 05:48:11 AM
Only a month!  Time was flying for you! :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

coudano

Quote from: lordmonar on March 29, 2011, 05:21:38 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 29, 2011, 05:48:11 AM
Only a month!  Time was flying for you! :)

True, I spent 5 months there one week...

Earhart1971

When I was at Keesler in 1975, there were 20,000 students there. We had Pass In Reviews Early Morning, Mid Afternoon, and Late Afternoons. I remember the Junior Officers being stuck with the review stand early in the morning (it was still dark). The Schools operated in shifts mornings and afternoons. Worn Boot heels. Almost a Goose step but not quite.

It was a fun time! I was in 86 Training Squadron. My reporting day we had a Beer Call in the Courtyard!

I wonder what the number of students on Keesler is now?

Almost got married to a cute WAF.

NCRblues

Quote from: Earhart1971 on March 30, 2011, 05:25:32 AM
When I was at Keesler in 1975, there were 20,000 students there. We had Pass In Reviews Early Morning, Mid Afternoon, and Late Afternoons. I remember the Junior Officers being stuck with the review stand early in the morning (it was still dark). The Schools operated in shifts mornings and afternoons. Worn Boot heels. Almost a Goose step but not quite.

It was a fun time! I was in 86 Training Squadron. My reporting day we had a Beer Call in the Courtyard!

I wonder what the number of students on Keesler is now?

Almost got married to a cute WAF.

tech school marriage....KILL IT...KILL IT!!  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NCRblues on March 30, 2011, 06:09:53 AM

tech school marriage....KILL IT...KILL IT!!  >:D

I had a relationship in tech school that was getting close to becoming a tech school marriage... cooler heads prevailed!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Jerry Jacobs

If thats true hes a red wolve, I'm sorry, because its technically a fox not a wolf so their squadron mascot is misleading! On a side note I thought the triangle fox was a myth but I actually ran into the fox last weekend on my way to karaoke Fridays. And don't let him tell you theres nothing to do at Keesler! There are plenty legal ways from airman to have fun!

spaatzmom

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on April 05, 2011, 03:54:43 AM

If thats true hes a red wolve, I'm sorry, because its technically a fox not a wolf so their squadron mascot is misleading! On a side note I thought the triangle fox was a myth but I actually ran into the fox last weekend on my way to karaoke Fridays. And don't let him tell you theres nothing to do at Keesler! There are plenty legal ways from airman to have fun!

Ok, I have no idea what you are trying to say.  He arrived there yesterday and has yet to scope out the base. 

Jerry Jacobs

Quote from: spaatzmom on April 05, 2011, 08:53:27 PM
Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on April 05, 2011, 03:54:43 AM

Ok, I have no idea what you are trying to say.  He arrived there yesterday and has yet to scope out the base.

My bad, if hes Cyber Ops Security I believe he'll be in the 336th TRS whos mascot is a Red Wolf, all the squadrons have friendly rivalries.

coudano

Red Wolves is the mascot of the 336 training squadron (the squadron he is most probably in)
Each squadron has a mascot (yes, fuzzy costume and all)(eh), and a group cheer (eh)

He will be relatively restricted in phase 1 for a few weeks,
it's *a lot* laxer than basic training but it's still fairly restricted.
Then he will slowly get more privileges until he graduates.

Al Sayre

We've got a great Squadron at Keesler, I'm sure they can find ways to help keep him out of trouble...  If he's doing Cyber Ops Security, he can help them with their Cyber Patriot Team, and they can show him all the good local places to go.  Shoot me a PM and I'll get you the SQ/CC's contact info.  I already told him to keep an eye out for him...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

spaatzmom

I just talked to Tim and yes he is in the 336th TRS.  I have his address if anyone wants it.  I appreciate all the support we both have received from board members here, it means a lot.

He will be looking forward to hearing from Mr. Sayre re the squadron there.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: spaatzmom on April 05, 2011, 11:35:24 PM
I just talked to Tim and yes he is in the 336th TRS.  I have his address if anyone wants it.

Yes, please do...  PM if you like.

Tim Medeiros

I want to personally thank all those that offered and/or provided words of encouragement, it definitely helped especially in the early weeks of BMT.  I still have every single piece of mail from BMT actually in my desk drawer here at the 336th.

My job will be Cyber Systems Operations, as far as I can tell (so far) basically a server administrator.

I'm definitely enjoying my time here at Keesler, it was awesome being able to sleep-in today lol.  There IS plenty to do, but I plan on waiting to do most of it until I transition up (aka phase up) to when I can wear civies outside of the dorm.

I do plan on checking out the squadron down here, just found out the base shuttle stops near it, now just need a way to get back before 2100.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811