SAR Ribbons - How do we track these?

Started by JohhnyD, February 04, 2020, 02:20:20 AM

JohhnyD

The Air Search and Rescue Ribbon is awarded to members who actively participate in at least 10 search and rescue sorties, with a bronze clasp awarded for each additional 10 sorties. All sorties must be in support of an actual search and rescue mission authorized through appropriate authorities.

Aircrew Members. A bronze three-bladed propeller device will be worn centered on Air Search and Rescue Ribbons earned as aircrew members.
Ground Personnel. Credit given will be computed on the basis of time spent on a mission and the nature of the duties performed.
Ground personnel performing hazardous duties, such as ground rescue or ground search, may be credited with one sortie for each 4 hours of actual participation, not to exceed three sorties in any 24-hour period.
Ground personnel performing non-hazardous duties, such as base support or staff functions, may be credited with one sortie for each 8 hours of participation, not to exceed two sorties for any 24-hour period.
Combined Participation. Members who earn the Air Search and Rescue Ribbon as an aircrew member are identified by attaching a bronze propeller to the ribbon. If the same individual earn clasps as a ground member of searches or missions, they are authorized to attach the clasps to the same ribbon with the bronze propeller. This also applies to the individual who initially earned the Air Search and Rescue Ribbon as a member of a ground search party and later participates in enough searches as an aircrew member. Additional clasps are placed so that the ribbon will have a balanced appearance, with bronze propeller(s) in the middle of the ribbon. A silver clasp is used in place of five bronze clasps for member who have participated in fifty additional sorties.

Eclipse

It's tracked by the member, with substantiation provided to the Personnel officer upon request of the decoration.
As a best practice, most ICs or ES Staff issue a PA these days with number of sorties, etc., at the end of a given
real mission.

There is no centralized tracking of sorties at the national level.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lord of the North

With the exception of WIMIRS, but the duty assignments need to be entered.

baronet68

If you need to translate the number of sorties into the appropriate number of clasps, use this tool:

http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/

;D
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Shawn W.

I bring home any supporting paper work I can, record the Mission number and number of sorties I did. I then scan my documents and make duplite copies. I keep copies in my Squadron File; in a home file and in a file on my Computer. I can't stress enough to people how important it is to keep multiple files.

Ed Bos

I maintain a "logbook" for all my missions, and I recommend that folks do the same. It's a spreadsheet in a cloud storage service, and has all the details I'd need to substantiate a claim of participation, that can be verified by WMIRS.

I've also been known to generate a participation letter for personnel in my unit who participate on missions, but never with the specific sortie information. Might be worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Shotgun

I agree in keeping a log of your sorties!

Vanguard sells paper ground team and aircrew logbooks to do just that.

But seeing this is the digital age a spreadsheet works just as well. I created just such a tool based on those CAP logbooks.

(See attached)

audiododd

A related question.  The reg talks about the ground vs. air sorties as if a person ONLY participates is ground or air, but not both.  What about if they are all mixed up.  I have a few sorties as a UDF member at my old unit but at my new unit, I don't do ground, only aircrew.  For example, if I did 5 ground sorties and 5 air sorties, am I eligible?  Or do I have to do 10 of one type to be eligible?

Thanks,

Dodd
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

SarDragon

A sortie is a sortie, as long as it meets the definition for the type. I have a mixture, and when I got my 10, I got my ribbon. My wing generates closing traffic that details mission number, person, unit, type and number of sorties, and type of find. They have also generated quarterly lists of eligibility for find ribbons.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

Ten sorties, ground and/or air, qualifies for the basic ribbon. Once you get ten air sorties add the prop device.

Eclipse

Quote from: ßτε on May 26, 2020, 04:20:15 PMTen sorties, ground and/or air, qualifies for the basic ribbon. Once you get ten air sorties add the prop device.

If any of the ten (or additional) are an air sortie you add the "Propeller Clasp:

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-award-propeller-clasp-in-bronze

At sortie #20 (and for every ten thereafter) you add the standard "Triangle Ribbon Clasp":

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-award-triangle-ribbon-clasp-in-bronze

As for any multiple awards of decorations, with the caveat that the Propeller Clasp always stays in the center.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2020, 05:38:26 PM
Quote from: ßτε on May 26, 2020, 04:20:15 PMTen sorties, ground and/or air, qualifies for the basic ribbon. Once you get ten air sorties add the prop device.

If any of the ten (or additional) are an air sortie you add the "Propeller Clasp:

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-award-propeller-clasp-in-bronze

At sortie #20 (and for every ten thereafter) you add the standard "Triangle Ribbon Clasp":

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-award-triangle-ribbon-clasp-in-bronze

As for any multiple awards of decorations, with the caveat that the Propeller Clasp always stays in the center.
For the SAR ribbon you need 10 aircrew sorties for the prop clasp. 
For the find ribbon you only need one.

Eclipse

That's not what it says...

CAPR 39-3, Page 14:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R039_003_83459660D4F44.pdf

"c. Air Search and Rescue Ribbon. Participate in at least 10 search and rescue sorties. A
bronze clasp is awarded for each additional 10 sorties. All sorties must be in support of an actual
search and rescue mission authorized by competent authority.

(1) Aircrew Members. A bronze three-bladed propeller device will be worn centered on
Air Search and Rescue Ribbons earned as aircrew members.

(2) Ground Personnel. Credit given will be computed on the basis of time spent on a
mission and the nature of the duties performed."

You can certainly earn the ribbon as an aircrew member without all the sorties being
in a plane.

"That Others May Zoom"

baronet68

Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2020, 05:38:26 PM... As for any multiple awards of decorations, with the caveat that the Propeller Clasp always stays in the center.

<PublicServiceAnnouncement>

The McChord Rack Builder is helpful in showing the proper arrangement of various ribbon attachment combinations.  Especially those combinations authorized on the SAR, Find, Disaster Relief, and Lifesaving ribbons.

http://mcchord.org/rack_builder/

</PublicServiceAnnouncement>

:)
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

No argument there - best one by far, but it doesn't close the question at hand.

"That Others May Zoom"

cba2

Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2020, 07:33:15 PMThat's not what it says...

[snip]

You left out the important part. It goes on to say "This applies also to the individual who initially earned the Air Search and Rescue Ribbon as a member of a ground search party and at some later date participates in *enough* searches as an aircrew member; the member is then authorized to attach the bronze propeller to the ribbon."

If you got to add the prop after only doing one aircrew sortie, it would say "a search" instead of "enough searches".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"