Unknown patch: "C.A.P." with winged-prop in oval

Started by alamrcn, December 03, 2009, 10:33:41 PM

alamrcn

Those of us in the stitch ripper business have been trying to ID this one for years. National Headquarters has one in the archives, I have the one above, and I know of one or two others.

The first thing everyone notices is the AAC/AAF looking collar insignia, and then notes that CAP's version was all silver - not silver and gold. By the manufacturing of the piece, it's definately 40s-50s era, with a cheese cloth backing and all.

There is no known documented use by Civil Air Patrol, or even if it's for sure an American military insignia. So I'm just looking for any thoughts or input that might open some doors to its identification.

It's an interesting piece, that's for sure!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

PA Guy

I think it is just some local variation which was fairly common in the early days of CAP?

Hawk200

The quality looks a lot like the kind of stuff I saw in Korea, Kuwait, and Iraq. Possibly hand embroidered.

Don't know much of the history though. Would be nice if the Internet was smart enough to match pictures of things, you could find a lot more if it did.

Trung Si Ma

Looks like its the same size as the oval behind jump wings for those actually on status.  Could this be a local wing backing for a CAP jump group?
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 04, 2009, 05:28:11 AM
Would be nice if the Internet was smart enough to match pictures of things, you could find a lot more if it did.

It is:  http://www.tineye.com/

..But no joy in this case.

jimmydeanno

Tineye doesn't work for taking a random picture and matching it to a different picture with the same object in it.  It looks for the same exact picture used elsewhere on the web, so you can see where else it is or came from.  I used it with a picture of a cobra in a toilet to prove that one of my friends buddies stole the picture and used the story along with it as his own...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

alamrcn

Yeah, and this photo is my scan of the piece I have. That website would have been handy to show Vanguard used some of the scans from the CAP Patches website at one point!

And the "cobra in a toilet" photo was MINE, too!  >:(

The search for information on this one shall continue. I'll take someone's "I saw it" word, but physical proof like a document or photo would be best of course.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

TarRiverRat

Could this be for Combat Air Patrol and not Civil Air Patrol?
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057